HELP- 5 Marker- The British Constitution Watch

charlottestones
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How do I answer a 5 mark question on the British Constitution? My teacher just gave me the question without telling me how to answer it.

'Explain the term codified constitution used in the extract'

The question comes with an extract about the UK constiution. Its topic 1 of the June 2011 paper if that helps too.

Thanks, Charlotte
JumpingFun
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by charlottestones)
How do I answer a 5 mark question on the British Constitution? My teacher just gave me the question without telling me how to answer it.

'Explain the term codified constitution used in the extract'

The question comes with an extract about the UK constiution. Its topic 1 of the June 2011 paper if that helps too.

Thanks, Charlotte
To start off, you need to understand the term. Here's what I found online:

A codified constitution is a constitution in which key constitutional provisions are collectedwithin a single document, it is commonly known as a written constitution. Codifiedconstitutions have three key features. Ina codified constitution the document itself isauthoritative in the sense that it constitutes ‘higher’ law. The constitution binds all politicalinstitutions, including those that make ordinary law. The provisions of the constitution arealso said to be entrenched. This means that they are difficult to amend or abolish. As acodified constitution sets out the duties, powers and functions of government institutions interms of ‘higher law’ it is judiciable. The other type of constitution is an uncodifiedconstitution. An uncodified constitution is a constitution that is made up of rules that arefound in a variety of sources, in the absence of a single legal document or writtenconstitution. Unlike codified constitutions, the constitution is not authoratitative.Constitutional laws enjoy the same status as ordinary laws. Uncodified constitutions are alsonot entrenched. The constitution can be changed through the normal processes for enactingstatute law. Finally, uncodified constitutions are not judiciable. In the absence of higher law,judges do not have a legal standard against which they can declare that the actions of otherbodies are considered constitutional or unconstitutional.

Once you're got this, try to apply it to the british constitution and what you know about it. Perhaps you can get an example of what is needed here - http://goo.gl/RHXaS5 I'm not a total expert on constitutional law so perhaps they can help more.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of the Arts London
    MA Innovation Management Open Day Postgraduate
    Mon, 18 Feb '19
  • University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (53)
8.75%
I used to but I don't now (16)
2.64%
No, but I want to start (222)
36.63%
No, I am unable to (140)
23.1%
No, I chose not to (175)
28.88%