The Student Room Group

Is anyone else applying to Cambridge for Chemical Engineering 2016 Entry?

I just sent my application, and was wondering how many other Cambridge applicants I'm up against.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Perhaps look on the applications statistics page?
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics
or the stalking pages of TSR
Reply 3
To approximately answer your original question:

According to this...
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/155672/response/378506/attach/2/FOI%202013%20110%20Alex%20response%20letter%20and%20data.pdf

...they have roughly 60 Chem Eng students per year. Assuming an acceptance rate of 15-20% (based on Engineering and Natsci) that's approx 300 applicants.
Reply 4
And this chart tallies with my estimate above, and also gives you an idea of your "competition".

Screen Shot 2015-09-27 at 23.03.08.jpg
Reply 5
Haven't sent my application yet but planning to, which college did you apply to?

I actually finished my A levels with 3 A*s, so I'm taking a gap year to get work XP and hopefully an offer from King's haha

Best of luck!
Reply 6
Original post by Yeezus
Haven't sent my application yet but planning to, which college did you apply to?

I actually finished my A levels with 3 A*s, so I'm taking a gap year to get work XP and hopefully an offer from King's haha

Best of luck!

You don't need work experience to have a competitive application for Chem Eng (or engineering in general). It's really not required. (Of course, it may help your wallet/purse to get some :wink: )

Edit to clarify: you absolutely don't need work experience for Chem Eng. But some paid work (in any job) would help your wallet and give you experience of a work environment. Just so that's clear :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
You don't need work experience to have a competitive application for Chem Eng (or engineering in general). It's really not required. (Of course, it may help your wallet/purse to get some :wink: )

You don't often get paid for work experience. Many don't even pay for your traveling cost.......
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by vincrows
You don't often get paid for work experience. Many don't even pay for your traveling cost.......

True but if OP is aiming at doing it for a gap year I'd hope it was more than a week's unpaid work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
True but if OP is aiming at doing it for a gap year I'd hope it was more than a week's unpaid work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If OP wants/needs a work to earn some money, he should be looking for a proper part-time job, not work experience.
In general, inviting someone for work experience is bit of liability for most of employers because 1) most students who want work experience placement have no qualification/skills for a job, 2) they need to arrange some of the staff to look after the students (=the assigned staff can't do his/her usual job properly), 3)sometimes obliged to pay the travelling cost for someone who's not much use.....
Basically you rely on the employers' good will to let you in for the experience, not for the money. That's why it's often very difficult to get work experience at a decent company/organization.

My daughter was lucky enough to do several work experiences but never got paid for any of them, though a couple of them paid for the travelling expenses. Quite similar pictures for all of her friends. .
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
If OP wants/needs a work to earn some money, he should be looking for a proper part-time job, not work experience.
In general, inviting someone for work experience is bit of liability for most of employers because 1) most students who want work experience placement have no qualification/skills for a job, 2) they need to arrange some of the staff to look after the students (=the assigned staff can't do his/her usual job properly), 3)sometimes obliged to pay the travelling cost for someone who's not much use.....
Basically you rely on the employers' good will to let you in for the experience, not for the money. That's why it's often very difficult to get work experience at a decent company/organization.

My daughter was lucky enough to do several work experiences but never got paid for any of them, though a couple of them paid for the travelling expenses. Quite similar pictures for all of her friends. .

I know, that's why I specifically said Chem Eng XP wasn't required.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
I know, that's why I specifically said Chem Eng XP wasn't required.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't replying to OP. :wink:
Reply 12
It's been created by a Cambridge applicant (a CompSci, of course...).

Applicants have added themselves from links posted on TSR. Most applicants are legit. Some aren't. Note, the average UMS is much higher than the typical applicant so treat with caution.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Or just apply to the year in industry scheme? You're making it out to seem like it's nigh on impossible to secure paid work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
Or just apply to the year in industry scheme? You're making it out to seem like it's nigh on impossible to secure paid work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not saying it's impossible but I know it's very difficult.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Depends but usually 90%+. Your UMS is given per module/unit on your exam results sheet (depending on exam board)

Doesn't apply to CIE (sometimes you get PUM depending on your country.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
i don't like competition :tongue:
Reply 18
Just thought I should clarify - I only decided to reapply after results day. I had offers from good unis but I had a couple more extra A*s than they wanted, and realised that I was technically good enough to get into Cambridge or Imperial. As a result I dropped out of my uni and hoping can make the year worthwhile by gaining relevant XP, paid or unpaid. Bit risky but hopefully will be worth it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending