The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

are gay and bisexual people the most hated minority in society

More so gay and bisexual men but lesbians too. It seems to be the case , i know men on twitter sometimes exaggerate homophobia to their mates but it seem ok to bash gay people although i have noticed some people reacting to homophobic remarks and comments so that's good. Also you never ever see any gay couples holding hands in public and i see plenty of middle-aged heterosexual couples holding hands. Could you imagine if a premiership football player came out the closet i would imagine he would get a lot of abuse from fans not just international but English fans too.

How anti-gay is it where you are ? like what city or county do you live in you don;t have to give the exact area, Do you think homophobia is decreasing or stagnating ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamesholland
More so gay and bisexual men but lesbians too. It seems to be the case , i know men on twitter sometimes exaggerate homophobia to their mates but it seem ok to bash gay people although i have noticed some people reacting to homophobic remarks and comments so that's good. Also you never ever see any gay couples holding hands in public and i see plenty of middle-aged heterosexual couples holding hands. Could you imagine if a premiership football player came out the closet i would imagine he would get a lot of abuse from fans not just international but English fans too.

How anti-gay is it where you are ? like what city or county do you live in you don;t have to give the exact area, Do you think homophobia is decreasing or stagnating ?

Which isn't surprising when things like this happen

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1350793/Ruby-Thomas-stamped-gay-man-death-serve-just-2-5-years.html
Reply 2
I live in Suffolk and in my school homophobia seems to have decreased in the last few years. Sure, there are still a few cocky year 8 and 9 boys who think it's hilarious to call something gay as an insult, but on the whole a lot more kids have been able to come out and be supported by most people around them.
Reply 3
I am gay and I think it is increasing - but I am not scared and I will fight until the very end. I am not out but I am who I am.

I'm a gay Muslim Pakistani British born.
Reply 4
Depends
Saudi Arabia? Yes
UK or Sweden? No
Original post by eoe
Depends
Saudi Arabia? Yes
UK or Sweden? No

Who do you think are the most hated minority in the UK? Like most likely to get randomly beat up on the street?
Reply 6
Original post by driftawaay
Who do you think are the most hated minority in the UK? Like most likely to get randomly beat up on the street?

Muslims and Black people
I. live in the north west and am bisexual - I've never experienced any homophobia and neither have any of my lgbt friends. Some people in school were dicks about it but it was never serious.. I don't even come across it online tbh.. have I just been lucky?
No, I'd say muslims and UKIP supporters are.
Reply 9
Original post by Hevachan
I. live in the north west and am bisexual - I've never experienced any homophobia and neither have any of my lgbt friends. Some people in school were dicks about it but it was never serious.. I don't even come across it online tbh.. have I just been lucky?

No I think UK is a very gay friendly and tolerant country. I mean there is so much support for Gay marriage.
You've never seen gay people holding hands in public? I see it all the time... I even see them kissing sometimes.

I think the most hated members of society are muslims because everyone incorrectly associates them with terrorists/ISIS.
Reply 11
Nah we love you :yes:
Muslims and Immigrants

Doubly worse if you are a Muslim Immigrant
Reply 13
I think Muslims (Muslim myself) because of the islamaphobia and propaganda the media are spreading.

Yes I am gay.
I actually feel more comfortable being Bisexual than ever before. People have become really tolerant of other sexualities as opposed to religion & race which seems to be going the other way in Britain.
Reply 15
No, Muslims are the most hated minority. I don't doubt that all minorities face prejudice and discrimination at least once in their lives though.
Reply 16
Original post by Salon
I think Muslims (Muslim myself) because of the islamaphobia and propaganda the media are spreading.

Yes I am gay.

Why do you have promote the fact that you are gay. I mean that is not what the topic is about.
Them and muslims.
Ironically muslims are homophobes.
I know the UK is very gay friendly but the question is, which is the LEAST tolerating - I think gay people are the least tolerated, not that they aren't.
Original post by eoe
Muslims and Black people

Agree
Original post by eoe
No I think UK is a very gay friendly and tolerant country. I mean there is so much support for Gay marriage.

There is only 'so much support' for gay marriage compared to how little there was only about a decade ago. if you look at the polls, about 40% would still say they don't support it. If there was a poll on interracial marriage and 40% of people said they oppose it, you would not be calling the UK a 'very colour blind and tolerant' society. So yes, the UK is in fact one of the most gay friendly countries in the UK and support for gay marriage is increasing and huge progress has been made, but clearly there is a huge minority who consider gays second class citizens...it's relative to how you look at it.

Latest

Trending

Trending