The Student Room Group

M2 Collisions

Parts a) and b) were really easy.
However, I cannot get my head around part c) for some reason.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
Original post by edothero
Parts a) and b) were really easy.
However, I cannot get my head around part c) for some reason.

Any help would be appreciated.

At first glance I feel like a geometric series infinite sum could be involved
I'll try the question and see if I'm wrong
edit: oops I see that was your second picture sorry hang on

It should be useful to consider the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as to figure out why the distances progress as they do. I assume this problem is confusing you on that level rather than the actual working out of the geometric sum from the common ratio 0.7^2.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2

Quoting you again in case you only saw my above post in its useless unedited state, apologies if you hadn't looked yet.
Reply 3
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
It should be useful to consider the equation v^2 = u^2 + 2as to figure out why the distances progress as they do. I assume this problem is confusing you on that level rather than the actual working out of the geometric sum from the common ratio 0.7^2.

No worries, I was afk anyway :smile:

Yeah it makes sense, the geometric series bit caught me by surprise, having not done it for a good year or two; it was the last thing I would've thought of.

Thanks for the help :biggrin:
Reply 4
No worries, I was afk anyway :smile:

Yeah it makes sense, the geometric series bit caught me by surprise, having not done it for a good year or two; it was the last thing I would've thought of.

Thanks for the help :biggrin:

Geometric progressions are important to keep in your arsenal as they have a fair few applications; sadly in A level they aren't generally seen outside of AS Core and are easily forgettable. I believe I've seen this bouncing ball kind of thing before with a similar idea; it's a good "theme" to remember. No problem. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest