4 A-levels or EPQ??? Please help

Watch
katrinaanne
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
HELP!!! PLEASE!!

So here's the low down: I'm in year 13 currently studying Maths, Chemistry and Spanish and I'm doing an EPQ. I dropped Biology at the start of this academic year and choose to do EPQ instead because that's what my school advised. But I hate EPQ and I'm not on schedule at all. And also I have a range of courses I want to study at uni:
International business management (which requires spanish), dentistry (requires biology and chemistry), chemical engineering (requires maths and chemistry), bio-medical engineering (requires bio and maths) and economics (requires maths).

But I don't have biology!!! Should I pick it up again??? It's not too late and I study loads so would be able to catch up! Of course I'd drop EPQ.
My AS grades were AAAB (the B was in spanish and was 1 off an A). I'm soooo confused with what to do. Please can someone give me advice? (preferably someone who has done 4 alevels before with high grades). My predicted grades would be A*AAA with 4 alevels. (A* in chemistry).
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by katrinaanne)
HELP!!! PLEASE!!

So here's the low down: I'm in year 13 currently studying Maths, Chemistry and Spanish and I'm doing an EPQ. I dropped Biology at the start of this academic year and choose to do EPQ instead because that's what my school advised. But I hate EPQ and I'm not on schedule at all. And also I have a range of courses I want to study at uni:
International business management (which requires spanish), dentistry (requires biology and chemistry), chemical engineering (requires maths and chemistry), bio-medical engineering (requires bio and maths) and economics (requires maths).

But I don't have biology!!! Should I pick it up again??? It's not too late and I study loads so would be able to catch up! Of course I'd drop EPQ.
My AS grades were AAAB (the B was in spanish and was 1 off an A). I'm soooo confused with what to do. Please can someone give me advice? (preferably someone who has done 4 alevels before with high grades). My predicted grades would be A*AAA with 4 alevels. (A* in chemistry).
The only person who knows the answer to this question is you! You've basically answered the question yourself, if you want to do dentistry or biomedical engineering, you have to take Biology. I don't know what degree you want to take (and it's extremely late to be making that decision unless you're taking a gap year, particularly for dentistry - I'm assuming you've already got the necessary work experience for that) so I don't know whether you need to resume Biology. You have to start making decisions - do some serious research, because I don't think you've taken it seriously enough if you still can't decide between such a huge range of options, including the incredibly competitive choice of dentistry.

Unless you need Biology for the degree you decide on, I wouldn't recommend 4 A2s - it's definitely possible but it will depend on the person and if someone has doubts about whether or not they'd cope with 4 A2s, I'd always err on the side of caution. The EPQ is a great thing if you take it seriously but if you hate it and you're not on schedule, it's pretty pointless so I don't think it's a huge problem if you drop that. But you really quite urgently need to decide on what degree you want to do.
Magnesium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
HELP!!! PLEASE!!

Sounds like you should take Biology In the end, a Biology A-Level would open a lot more doors for you than an EPQ which is mostly regarded as an 'extra' to aid further reading and extension into your chosen topic. If you can't keep up with the workload for EPQ, then it's probably best to stick to Biology!
katrinaanne
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
The only person who knows the answer to this question is you! You've basically answered the question yourself, if you want to do dentistry or biomedical engineering, you have to take Biology. I don't know what degree you want to take (and it's extremely late to be making that decision unless you're taking a gap year, particularly for dentistry - I'm assuming you've already got the necessary work experience for that) so I don't know whether you need to resume Biology. You have to start making decisions - do some serious research, because I don't think you've taken it seriously enough if you still can't decide between such a huge range of options, including the incredibly competitive choice of dentistry.

Unless you need Biology for the degree you decide on, I wouldn't recommend 4 A2s - it's definitely possible but it will depend on the person and if someone has doubts about whether or not they'd cope with 4 A2s, I'd always err on the side of caution. The EPQ is a great thing if you take it seriously but if you hate it and you're not on schedule, it's pretty pointless so I don't think it's a huge problem if you drop that. But you really quite urgently need to decide on what degree you want to do.
Thank you so much for the advice!

I have done a loooooot of research and that's been the major issue. Everytime I find out more about a particular course I get more into it.. So I'm like ahhhh, can I just do all of them??! Obviously not! But that's where I'm at right now.
I'm going to be taking a gap year to build on my understanding of each course and so that's why I'm seriously considering doing all 4, to not close my doors to any if I change my mind.. Because stress levels are sky high atm.

But TYSM again
katrinaanne
Rep:
?
(Original post by Magnesium)
Sounds like you should take Biology In the end, a Biology A-Level would open a lot more doors for you than an EPQ which is mostly regarded as an 'extra' to aid further reading and extension into your chosen topic. If you can't keep up with the workload for EPQ, then it's probably best to stick to Biology!
That's what I'm seriously thinking of doing now. Do you know anyone that's done 4? Thank you for the response
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you so much for the advice!

I have done a loooooot of research and that's been the major issue. Everytime I find out more about a particular course I get more into it.. So I'm like ahhhh, can I just do all of them??! Obviously not! But that's where I'm at right now.
I'm going to be taking a gap year to build on my understanding of each course and so that's why I'm seriously considering doing all 4, to not close my doors to any if I change my mind.. Because stress levels are sky high atm.

But TYSM again
Okay, I am very relieved to hear that you're taking a gap year! What exactly are you doing when you're researching courses? Are you just looking at the summaries they've written or do you actually look at the specific modules they offer? Also, are you reading around your subjects? That's one of the best ways to work out if you want to study something.

The risk with doing 4 A2s is that the increased workload will negatively impact grades and when it comes to meeting offers, quality is more important than quantity. In terms of the work required, A*ABB might be more impressive than A*AA but the former is still technically missing an A*AA offer whereas the latter isn't. As I say, four A2s is possible and you have very good AS results so it's possible that it'll be fine, but it is a risk.
Magnesium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's what I'm seriously thinking of doing now. Do you know anyone that's done 4? Thank you for the response
I did 5ASs and am currently doing 4A2s - The majority of the people I know are doing 4 too and I think everyone's coping fine. I'm not finding the workload too hard, even though there is definitely a lot of work to do! If you think you can handle it, then I would advise to go for Biology rather than EPQ. I dropped out of EPQ simply because it wasn't too useful for my chosen degree and also the fact that it would eat away at too much time that I wasn't prepared to lose/commit when I could have been concentrating on things more relevant to my course You don't want to end up too stressed, as now until December for interviews etc can get a little hectic what with UCAS etc so choose the option that you will be able to handle

If you really don't think you can cope with 4, then I would suggest perhaps not doing the EPQ either as it seems you're struggling with the deadlines for it? EPQ can get very rushed in terms of deadlines and before you know it, everything's due in and you haven't done enough for it!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (41)
18.47%
No one else does (73)
32.88%
I'm embarrassed about my background (22)
9.91%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (74)
33.33%
We don't use a video platform (3)
1.35%
I don't have a camera (4)
1.8%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise