The Student Room Group

A level maths grades help?

at AS i got a B:-
C1- A
C2 - C
D1 - C

im retaking c2 but i cant retake d1 becuase my 6th form is only letting us retake 2 modules (c2 and buss2 for me)

currently we are doing S1,C3 and C4 would it be worth me self teaching m1 and if i get a good grade in m1 and s1 does my d1 grade not count towards my a level?

hope this makes sense
Reply 1
????
What were the ums scores and what grade are you aiming for?
Original post by kf141998
at AS i got a B:-
C1- A
C2 - C
D1 - C

im retaking c2 but i cant retake d1 becuase my 6th form is only letting us retake 2 modules (c2 and buss2 for me)

currently we are doing S1,C3 and C4 would it be worth me self teaching m1 and if i get a good grade in m1 and s1 does my d1 grade not count towards my a level?

hope this makes sense

Your 6 best modules are the ones they'll take, but they must use all 4 core. So if you do better in M1 and S1 than D1, then they'll use the first two, yes. M1 is a pretty decent syllabus (much much preferred it to D1) so I'd say go for it :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Luke Kostanjsek
Your 6 best modules are the ones they'll take, but they must use all 4 core. So if you do better in M1 and S1 than D1, then they'll use the first two, yes. M1 is a pretty decent syllabus (much much preferred it to D1) so I'd say go for it :biggrin:

thanks, do you know if it is hard to self teach it?
thanks, do you know if it is hard to self teach it?

What exam board are you on?
Reply 6
What exam board are you on?

edexcel
edexcel

Just took a look at the syllabus, cause I did OCR :tongue:

Vectors - the stuff on M1 for vectors is really really simple, it's essentially nothing more than adding and subtracting

Kinematics - (v,t) graphs and suvat essentially, you'll have covered most of this in GCSE physics? if not, it's also pretty simple

Statics - Resolving and resultant forces, friction and equilibria will probably be a new concept to you. It's fairly intuitive, so you could definitely teach it yourself.

Moments - Easy as pea

Dynamics - F=ma, pulleys and momentum, you'll probably have done some of this in GCSE physics too? Again, should be fine.

Overall, I'd say you could definitely teach it to yourself with a good textbook/private tutor, whatever way suited you. M1 is a new branch of maths to you, so most the stuff on it is fairly straightforward.
Reply 8
Just took a look at the syllabus, cause I did OCR :tongue:

Vectors - the stuff on M1 for vectors is really really simple, it's essentially nothing more than adding and subtracting

Kinematics - (v,t) graphs and suvat essentially, you'll have covered most of this in GCSE physics? if not, it's also pretty simple

Statics - Resolving and resultant forces, friction and equilibria will probably be a new concept to you. It's fairly intuitive, so you could definitely teach it yourself.

Moments - Easy as pea

Dynamics - F=ma, pulleys and momentum, you'll probably have done some of this in GCSE physics too? Again, should be fine.

Overall, I'd say you could definitely teach it to yourself with a good textbook/private tutor, whatever way suited you. M1 is a new branch of maths to you, so most the stuff on it is fairly straightforward.

thank you so much for your help, i appreciate it a lot
Reply 9
Original post by whydoidothis?
What were the ums scores and what grade are you aiming for?

aiming for an A, UMS i got:-
C1:- 82
C2:- 68
D1:- 67
thank you so much for your help, i appreciate it a lot

No problem :tongue:
wait...
so your school won't let you resit a module... but they will let you self-teach yourself a whole new module?
SENSE??????????????????????????????????

If you improved your C2 grades and got strong As in A2 then you probably won't need to do another module. It's a lot of work... when you can just put that time and effort into getting a high score in C3/c4.
aiming for an A, UMS i got:-
C1:- 82
C2:- 68
D1:- 67

Assuming you 80 ums in each the 3 modules next year.
If you resit C2 you would need 93 ums for the A.

If you want to self teach M1 then it would be getting 80 in M1 and C2., yes you then could use M1 instead of D1.

If your school does not let you resit can you resit D1 at another centre somewhere else?

Quick Reply

Latest