SportsDoc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi there! I'm a current First Year student at the University of Glasgow and would like to share some of my experiences from:

a) being rejected first time round as a Scottish School Leaver.

b) gaining three interviews and three offers last year before ultimately selecting the University of Glasgow.

Please use this thread to discuss entrance to all five Scottish Medical Schools - Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrews.

Entry into Medicine in Scotland is competitive, as Scottish Universities rank among some of the best in the UK.

However do not think just because you have good grades and extensive work experience that you will get in. Scottish universities look for people that will make good Doctors - people with great team working skills, people who can demonstrate that they have interests outside medicine, people with something unique and ultimately people who are going to be able to relate to the people they eventually treat.

Fire away with any questions and best of luck to anyone who is applying this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
searchingsazza
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for info. I want to apply to Glasgow. Can you advise UKCAT score (I have 2640/band 1 sj)? I emailed admissions but no reply. also I read Scottish students are preferred - is that right?
Pennyarcade
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SportsDoc)

Entry into Medicine in Scotland is competitive, as Scottish Universities rank among some of the best in the UK.

However do not think just because you have good grades and extensive work experience that you will get in. Scottish universities look for people that will make good Doctors - people with great team working skills, people who can demonstrate that they have interests outside medicine, people with something unique and ultimately people who are going to be able to relate to the people they eventually treat.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not that bad really. Us scots have it easy. I'm a first year at glasgow too, I applied last year and got 3 interviews with a ****ty ukcat. I think our thresholds are alot lower up here.

The probability of getting an offer from 3 interviews is approximately 90%, therefore anyone with a half decent ukcat and self confidence can get in.
joshuaabishek
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Slightly off topic to what you were talking about but I'm curious as to why you went to Glasgow. Like, what attracted you to the medical school. I'm also a scottish student applying this year and I haven't firmly decided on my 4 choices.
madmed16
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SportsDoc)
Hi there! I'm a current First Year student at the University of Glasgow and would like to share some of my experiences from:

a) being rejected first time round as a Scottish School Leaver.

b) gaining three interviews and three offers last year before ultimately selecting the University of Glasgow.

Please use this thread to discuss entrance to all five Scottish Medical Schools - Aberdeen, Dundee, Edinburgh, Glasgow and St Andrews.

Fire away with any questions and best of luck to anyone who is applying this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey!

I was also rejected first time (this is my second attempt)!
If you don't mind me asking, what did you do differently the second time round? I was rejected pre-interview everywhere, so I'm a little worried that the practice from the year before could have been beneficial, hence most second timers gaining an offer.
Pennyarcade
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by joshuaabishek)
Slightly off topic to what you were talking about but I'm curious as to why you went to Glasgow. Like, what attracted you to the medical school. I'm also a scottish student applying this year and I haven't firmly decided on my 4 choices.
St Andrews system is laughable, "the bubble" is a cramped, snobby and ridiculously expensive borefest.

Dundee is super cliquey cause the med school is miles away from everything else. The city is also a **** hole with subpar nightlife.

Aberdeen is similar to dundee, except more grey, depressing, cold and expensive.

Edinburgh is full of tourists, posh ******s, rugby boys and English folk.

Glasgow is the best city in scotland for just about anything - gigs, nightlife, shopping, jobs, hospitals etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pennyarcade)
St Andrews system is laughable, "the bubble" is a cramped, snobby and ridiculously expensive borefest.

Dundee is super cliquey cause the med school is miles away from everything else. The city is also a **** hole with subpar nightlife.

Aberdeen is similar to dundee, except more grey, depressing, cold and expensive.

Edinburgh is full of tourists, posh ******s, rugby boys and English folk.

Glasgow is the best city in scotland for just about anything - gigs, nightlife, shopping, jobs, hospitals etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
The bias is real.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pennyarcade
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
The bias is real.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ahah that was the point. It's all true nonetheless.

Posted from TSR Mobile
nemnut
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just did my UKCAT there and got 677.5 Band 2
VR - 560
QR - 710
AR - 770
DA - 670
SJT - BAND 2
Can anyone tell me if its enough for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, St Andrews and Dundee? I am going to apply to Glasgow Edinburgh and Aberdeen but don't know which to choose between St Andrews and Dundee for Medicine. I had 4A's and a B for Highers but I've did the REACH programme which boosts my "B" to an A so 5A's s i can apply to Glasgow University, I am predicted
Adv Higher Biology - A
Adv Higher Physics- A
Adv Higher Maths - A
Higher PE - A
I just want to know if i can apply to all the Universities mentioned above and I want to know what are my chances with my UKCAT, thanks TSR
madmed16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nemnut)
VR - 560
QR - 710
AR - 770
DA - 670
SJT - BAND 2
Can anyone tell me if its enough for Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, St Andrews and Dundee? I am going to apply to Glasgow Edinburgh and Aberdeen but don't know which to choose between St Andrews and Dundee for Medicine. I had 4A's and a B for Highers but I've did the REACH programme which boosts my "B" to an A so 5A's s i can apply to Glasgow University, I am predicted
Adv Higher Biology - A
Adv Higher Physics- A
Adv Higher Maths - A
Higher PE - A
I just want to know if i can apply to all the Universities mentioned above and I want to know what are my chances with my UKCAT, thanks TSR
Hey!!

I'm part of Reach too!

Can I ask you a quick question? Why are you not taking Adv Chemistry...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
nemnut
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In my school both adv biology and adv chemistry clash together see the REACH programme does it work for any other university other than Glasgow?
thatcooldude2.0
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pennyarcade)
It's not that bad really. Us scots have it easy. I'm a first year at glasgow too, I applied last year and got 3 interviews with a ****ty ukcat. I think our thresholds are alot lower up here.

The probability of getting an offer from 3 interviews is approximately 90%, therefore anyone with a half decent ukcat and self confidence can get in.
Hi! Where did you apply last year? And what was your ukcat score if you don't mind me asking? Congrats on getting in btw!! Are you enjoying med school so far?
madmed16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In my school both adv biology and adv chemistry clash together see the REACH programme does it work for any other university other than Glasgow?
Ah okay! Did you get an A in chemistry at Higher? (Sorry to bombard you with questions)!

So, if you are part of Reach Glasgow, you gain the UKCAT addition or the grade boost at Glasgow. If you're part of Reach Edinburgh you will gain extra points for your UKCAT at Edinburgh. Dundee don't give much away as to how they help Reach applicants, but they do give additional points to a Reach student from any programme! For Aberdeen, if a Reach student's UKCAT (again from any programme) is within the top 75% you are guaranteed an interview! Basically, Glasgow and Edinburgh are the only ones that are biased towards their own Reach applicants.

Posted from TSR Mobile
madmed16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh and St A too! I think, again, it's only for Fife Reach applicants that they will lower the UKCAT score threshold for!

Posted from TSR Mobile
nemnut
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
AWWWW YISSSS, i only got a B for english :'( sadly lost by 3 marks, i havent done the Edinburgh REACH programme will my Glasgow REACH still count? Thanks for all the info btw, really really helpful
madmed16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
AWWWW YISSSS, i only got a B for english :'( sadly lost by 3 marks, i havent done the Edinburgh REACH programme will my Glasgow REACH still count? Thanks for all the info btw, really really helpful
Haha, my thoughts exactly!

Aw, unlucky! It will count for everywhere except Edinburgh and St Andrews 😊

It's no bother at all!

Posted from TSR Mobile
spymatiak
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I am a German applicant and really would like to apply to Dundee, because I meet their requirements for the German Abitur.

My Ukcat:
Vr 470
Qr 710
Ar 780
da 710
Stj band 2

Overall 668

I think my ps is really good.

Do I have a good chance to get an interview?
nemnut
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by spymatiak)
Hi, I am a German applicant and really would like to apply to Dundee, because I meet their requirements for the German Abitur.

My Ukcat:
Vr 470
Qr 710
Ar 780
da 710
Stj band 2

Overall 668

I think my ps is really good.

Do I have a good chance to get an interview?
spymatiak i have no clue mate, i dont even know if i have a good mark i got average 677.5 Band 2
Pennyarcade
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by thatcooldude2.0)
Hi! Where did you apply last year? And what was your ukcat score if you don't mind me asking? Congrats on getting in btw!! Are you enjoying med school so far?
I got just above the average for last year. It's awrite. The constant memorising is getting annoying though.

I think it's hard to enjoy your course regardless of what you do tbh. I can't say I'm having fun doing my pbl rn when my flatmates are all drinking in the kitchen next door.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pennyarcade
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
VR - 560
QR - 710
AR - 770
DA - 670
SJT - BAND 2
Adv Higher Biology - A
Adv Higher Physics- A
Adv Higher Maths - A
Higher PE - A
You'll get a glasgow and Aberdeen interview. Not sure about the others though.

The B will work against you for Aberdeen, so you better have a good interview there.

But I think you can be optimistic about your chances this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (212)
53.13%
No (187)
46.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed