The Student Room Group

Scottish Medical Schools Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pennyarcade
St Andrews system is laughable, "the bubble" is a cramped, snobby and ridiculously expensive borefest.

Dundee is super cliquey cause the med school is miles away from everything else. The city is also a **** hole with subpar nightlife.

Aberdeen is similar to dundee, except more grey, depressing, cold and expensive.

Edinburgh is full of tourists, posh ******s, rugby boys and English folk.

Glasgow is the best city in scotland for just about anything - gigs, nightlife, shopping, jobs, hospitals etc etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

This was... strangely helpful. Thanks man!
Hi, I am planning to apply to Barts, Glasgow, Dundee university and Aberdeen(I am not sure about this, having lived in Edinburgh for 5 years, I am terrific for the weather)or Keele.
I have 3A*2A2B GCSE , AS:AAAAAA A2:A*A(Achieved)AAAA(Predicted) and a UKCAT of 655 B3.
I am an international student. Do you think my GCSE(If I explain to them it's because I just arrived UK when I did it?) and UKCAT score is going to drag me down? What are the chances for me to get interviews?
Any help will be appreciated.
Original post by Bellbird
Hi, I am planning to apply to Barts, Glasgow, Dundee university and Aberdeen(I am not sure about this, having lived in Edinburgh for 5 years, I am terrific for the weather)or Keele.
I have 3A*2A2B GCSE , AS:AAAAAA A2:A*A(Achieved)AAAA(Predicted) and a UKCAT of 655 B3.
I am an international student. Do you think my GCSE(If I explain to them it's because I just arrived UK when I did it?) and UKCAT score is going to drag me down? What are the chances for me to get interviews?
Any help will be appreciated.

Glasgow don't really look at your GCSEs so you wouldn't have to explain anything to them - they only require you to have English at grade B or above. Your UKCAT might be okay, I'm not 100% sure as last year's cut off was 2580 for interview. Apart from that, you're in with a chance at Glasgow!

For Dundee, your GCSEs are worth 3/6 marks for academics. You will gain 1 mark for all As in science and maths, 1 mark for all As in english and social subjects (etc.), and another mark for 4A*s or more! Your UKCAT might be okay for Dundee, again it's very borderline.

As for Aberdeen, I'm not very sure how much weighting is put on your GCSEs!

If I'm being completely honest, I'm not sure they will except your reasoning for lower GCSE results, but it's certainly worth notifying them just in case!

I hope this helps! :smile:
I'm applying to Dundee - anyone else?:smile:
Original post by 1lastchance

Yeaaaaah!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by madmed16
Glasgow don't really look at your GCSEs so you wouldn't have to explain anything to them - they only require you to have English at grade B or above. Your UKCAT might be okay, I'm not 100% sure as last year's cut off was 2580 for interview. Apart from that, you're in with a chance at Glasgow!

For Dundee, your GCSEs are worth 3/6 marks for academics. You will gain 1 mark for all As in science and maths, 1 mark for all As in english and social subjects (etc.), and another mark for 4A*s or more! Your UKCAT might be okay for Dundee, again it's very borderline.

As for Aberdeen, I'm not very sure how much weighting is put on your GCSEs!

If I'm being completely honest, I'm not sure they will except your reasoning for lower GCSE results, but it's certainly worth notifying them just in case!

I hope this helps! :smile:

Where did you find the GCSE scoring thing? :O
Where did you find the GCSE scoring thing? :O

One of my closest friends goes to Dundee haha, she gets all the admissions stuff for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of my closest friends goes to Dundee haha, she gets all the admissions stuff for me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice! Just realized you are the one that have answered my questions in the aberdeen thread! What Universities are u going to apply to? :smile:
Original post by 1lastchance

Woop woop!
Original post by joshuaabishek
Woop woop!

What's your stats?!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's your stats?!?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

5As at Highers

3040 UKCAT

wbu?
Original post by joshuaabishek
5As at Highers

3040 UKCAT

wbu?

Bloody hell haha!! Well done!

I have 5As + 3As and 2850 :-(...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Bloody hell haha!! Well done!

I have 5As + 3As and 2850 :-(...

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha thanks :smile: Yours are really good too!
Nice! Just realized you are the one that have answered my questions in the aberdeen thread! What Universities are u going to apply to? :smile:

Oh, really? I didn't notice haha!

St Andrews, Glasgow, Dundee and Aberdeen! What about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, really? I didn't notice haha!

St Andrews, Glasgow, Dundee and Aberdeen! What about yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

UHA! Scottish universities :biggrin: I am applying to Barts, Keele, Glasgow/ Dundee/ Aberdeen (depending on the UKCAT national average that's coming out on the 9th, finger cross it will be lower than last year! ) Do u have a fifth choice? (cause I still haven't decided mine!)
UHA! Scottish universities :biggrin: I am applying to Barts, Keele, Glasgow/ Dundee/ Aberdeen (depending on the UKCAT national average that's coming out on the 9th, finger cross it will be lower than last year! ) Do u have a fifth choice? (cause I still haven't decided mine!)

Haha! You have good choices!!

Yeah, I actually just got an offer for immunology at Glasgow yesterday! Would you apply as a graduate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha! You have good choices!!

Yeah, I actually just got an offer for immunology at Glasgow yesterday! Would you apply as a graduate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

WOW! That's amazing, congratulations! A guy from my school got an offer for Law from Glasgow today, it's making everyone really nervous! I probably won't, but I am thinking about Global health in Queen Mary University of London if I will put down one. I will see when I go to QM open day this Saturday :biggrin:
WOW! That's amazing, congratulations! A guy from my school got an offer for Law from Glasgow today, it's making everyone really nervous! I probably won't, but I am thinking about Global health in Queen Mary University of London if I will put down one. I will see when I go to QM open day this Saturday :biggrin:

Aw, thank you haha!! That sounds interesting!!

I wish you the best of luck with your medicine application! :smile:
Hello everyone! :smile: Has anyone got interviews from any Scottish Medical Schools yet (apart from Edinburgh ofc and Aberdeen, who I know have started sending them out)?
Reply 39
Original post by thelionsroar_
Hello everyone! :smile: Has anyone got interviews from any Scottish Medical Schools yet (apart from Edinburgh ofc and Aberdeen, who I know have started sending them out)?

I would not worry too much about when you get your interview offer. I got mines from St. Andrews on the 24 February and my interview was on the 4 march... Rejection was in April. haha

Point is don't freak out.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending