The Student Room Group

Can I go from CCC to AAA?

(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
When you do the second year of Maths, you'll use a lot of the things you went over in the first year. This means that if you retake Core 1 and Core 2 as well as your A2 Maths exams, you're very likely to get a good grade in them with minimal revision beforehand. I can't really speak for the other subjects though, sorry. One word of advice I can give you is that you're gonna need to really buckle down for all your A2 exams; that means going over all the work you did in lessons to make sure that you understand it. I'd also recommend doing past papers every now and then to get used to what the actual exams look like. Good luck!
Yeah I will do that. My A2 chemistry and biology exams are synoptic, so do you think that will help me as well seeing as AS knowledge is needed at A2 as well? Have you had a similar experience where you needed to retake exams to improve or no?
Resit modules , smash a2 , and its possible. But you have to put in so much fckin work.
Reply 4
Original post by ASTK98
Yeah I will do that. My A2 chemistry and biology exams are synoptic, so do you think that will help me as well seeing as AS knowledge is needed at A2 as well? Have you had a similar experience where you needed to retake exams to improve or no?

Like I said, I can't really speak for A2 Chemistry and Biology, but I'm guessing the AS exams would be easier after doing the second year of studying the subject. That being said though, you'd also have another couple of exams on your timetable.

I have had a similar experience, yeah. The main reason I can fairly confidently say that C1 and C2 are a lot easier after doing A2 Maths is that that's what I did. I got an A and a B at AS in C1 and C2 respectively but I only got those grades by one mark, so my teacher suggested I retake them to try and get more marks for my overall grade.

I didn't revise for either of them and found them extremely easy, since the content was what I'd been building on for the last year. The exams were before my A2 ones too, so it helped serve as a warm up for those. Even if I'd have done worse than that, I don't think it would've dragged my existing mark down.
I can't remember exactly how many marks I gained from resitting them, but even a handful of extra marks can help in getting over a grade boundary.
Reply 5
I went from DCU to ABB through hard work and determination. So yes, if you want it bad enough, you can.
Original post by Rainbell
I went from DCU to ABB through hard work and determination. So yes, if you want it bad enough, you can.

Wow, that's amazing! Do you mind me asking what subjects they you did? Also, did you have January exams back when you did it? Thanks!
If you work hard enough yes.

When i mean hard, really hard.
Original post by whydoidothis?
If you work hard enough yes.

When i mean hard, really hard.

How much we talking exactly. Spending weekends on work, all 12 free periods a week doing work, when I get home from school etc? Because I have started doing that

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
How much we talking exactly. Spending weekends on work, all 12 free periods a week doing work, when I get home from school etc? Because I have started doing that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Personally i would do one free period a day on what youve done. Read notes when you gp home and just do homework on weekends, leaves plenty of time to chill. If you keep up what your doing (which is overkill) you could get an A* or two.

A levels are 90% work and 10% ability imo.
Yeah it's possible. All I'm saying is that it's 'possible'.

I went from a C to an A in Chemistry but that entailed resitting all 3 AS modules alongside the 3 A2 modules. You're going to have to be really careful with the number of resits you do. Don't do too many. Really focus on A2 and then your resits.
Original post by TajwarC
Yeah it's possible. All I'm saying is that it's 'possible'.

I went from a C to an A in Chemistry but that entailed resitting all 3 AS modules alongside the 3 A2 modules. You're going to have to be really careful with the number of resits you do. Don't do too many. Really focus on A2 and then your resits.

I'm doing 6 resits, A2 units are synoptic so I will need to know the content I did at AS inside out anyway. 4 of those resits I did bad in were mainly due chickenpox, rather than a lack of preparation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by whydoidothis?
Personally i would do one free period a day on what youve done. Read notes when you gp home and just do homework on weekends, leaves plenty of time to chill. If you keep up what your doing (which is overkill) you could get an A* or two.

A levels are 90% work and 10% ability imo.

I dunno, I mean I have little margin for error this year and it really is my last chance. Don't think there will be an opportunity to resit exams from my current spec. It seems like overkill is the way forward, it's only 9 months of my life anyway tbh. Last year leaving time to chill was one of the reasons of my downfall :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
I dunno, I mean I have little margin for error this year and it really is my last chance. Don't think there will be an opportunity to resit exams from my current spec. It seems like overkill is the way forward, it's only 9 months of my life anyway tbh. Last year leaving time to chill was one of the reasons of my downfall :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go for it man, just don't want you to burn out.
Keep it up and do alot of past papers, if your scoring 90%+ then you will at least get 3 As.

If it helps i went from DDDA(mocks) to AABC with just 2 weeks solid revision for AS levels.
If you do it for the whole year, i'm sure you can get great grades.
I'm working alot harder (not as much as you, i'm too lazy) than last year so i know how it feels.

Good luck.
Original post by ASTK98
Wow, that's amazing! Do you mind me asking what subjects they you did? Also, did you have January exams back when you did it? Thanks!

Thank you very much :smile:

The D was in English Lang/Lit. The C was in Psychology, and the U was in Biology.
In the end result, the A was for English and the two B's were in Psych and Biology.

I know that some people may disregard English lang/lit and Psychology as being easier a levels, but actually, everything depends on personal ability.

To go from getting nothing but U in biology no matter how hard I tried, to a high B (Just missed an A by a few raw marks grrr!) I literally threw myself at Biology and studied for hours and hours every day. By the way, past papers are your best friend. Do not underestimate their power.

When I did it, we didn't have January exams. I don't know whether that was easier or harder, but I know that it meant having to cram literally ALL the information into your head within a couple of weeks. Not to mention resits, so AS content as well.
Thank you very much :smile:

The D was in English Lang/Lit. The C was in Psychology, and the U was in Biology.
In the end result, the A was for English and the two B's were in Psych and Biology.

I know that some people may disregard English lang/lit and Psychology as being easier a levels, but actually, everything depends on personal ability.

To go from getting nothing but U in biology no matter how hard I tried, to a high B (Just missed an A by a few raw marks grrr!) I literally threw myself at Biology and studied for hours and hours every day. By the way, past papers are your best friend. Do not underestimate their power.

When I did it, we didn't have January exams. I don't know whether that was easier or harder, but I know that it meant having to cram literally ALL the information into your head within a couple of weeks. Not to mention resits, so AS content as well.

That's very helpful, thank you. So I take it you had to do a lot of resits as well as do A2s in the space of the year, and just one sitting (May/June). How did you manage your time?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASTK98
That's very helpful, thank you. So I take it you had to do a lot of resits as well as do A2s in the space of the year, and just one sitting (May/June). How did you manage your time?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha what time? Just kidding. After spending AS not revising and thinking stupidly that I could wing it, (like everyone does in lower 6th), I had a mass panic a couple of weeks before the exams. When I got to A2, I decided that from then on I would start revising from day one, and revising the content that I learned everyday. What I mean by that, is that if I learned about microbiology in the day's lesson, I would go home and revise it. I did lots of past paper questions, of both AS and A2 content, but focused mainly on the areas that I didn't know well.

Anyway, the huge tip is to revise from day 1, so that when everyone else is in a last minute last panic before exams, you can be pretty confident because you were always one step ahead.
Haha what time? Just kidding. After spending AS not revising and thinking stupidly that I could wing it, (like everyone does in lower 6th), I had a mass panic a couple of weeks before the exams. When I got to A2, I decided that from then on I would start revising from day one, and revising the content that I learned everyday. What I mean by that, is that if I learned about microbiology in the day's lesson, I would go home and revise it. I did lots of past paper questions, of both AS and A2 content, but focused mainly on the areas that I didn't know well.

Anyway, the huge tip is to revise from day 1, so that when everyone else is in a last minute last panic before exams, you can be pretty confident because you were always one step ahead.

I see. Good thing I have started early this year then. Hopefully I can sustain this until June! Thanks a lot for your advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For what it's worth, I thought I'd let you guys know I did end up getting AAA in the end!
Original post by ASTK98
For what it's worth, I thought I'd let you guys know I did end up getting AAA in the end!

Congrats! I need to get from ABC to AAA, how did you do it?

Quick Reply

Latest