comsnow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I have to analyze a poem, "The Border Builder" by Carol Rumens. I understand the poem to an extent, what I can't really grasp is, how do I go about analyzing it. Its Free Verse, talks about division of humanity on the basis of borders, which causes war on the basis of artificial patriotism (My idea on what it means). What now?
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hiya,
The way I got taught to analyse poems at GCSE level was to ask questions about the poem in such a way that you get to know it in detail such as:
Identify and explain some of the main themes.
Your personal response, the poet's response, society's response.
Tone
Voice- point of view
Some examples of language and structural devices and why they're used at that point.
comsnow
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by VioletPhillippo)
Hiya,
The way I got taught to analyse poems at GCSE level was to ask questions about the poem in such a way that you get to know it in detail such as:
Identify and explain some of the main themes.
Your personal response, the poet's response, society's response.
Tone
Voice- point of view
Some examples of language and structural devices and why they're used at that point.
Thankyou for responding. Can you elaborate on the "Poets and Society's response " part ?
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by comsnow)
Thankyou for responding. Can you elaborate on the "Poets and Society's response " part ?
No problem at all, I'll try and explain what I mean- I wish I'd kept my poetry books so I could give you an example. For the poet's response it's about how the tone (and the langauge and structure) help to convey the poet's attitude to the ideas in the poem. Perhaps a sarcastic tone would indicate a negative or dismissive feeling towards the idea. Society's view is about how the ideas in the poem fit into the context of the time when it was written, does the poem reflect universal ideas at the time? Is it an unusual idea for the time and how does this influence a reader then and now (are the ideas universally understood?)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (55)
41.04%
Take autumn exams (49)
36.57%
Look for a job (3)
2.24%
Consider an apprenticeship (3)
2.24%
Take a year out (16)
11.94%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (8)
5.97%

Watched Threads