Are all colleges at Durham the same price in accommodation?

Watch
Jabbasalacious
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
From brief research it appears that the cost of accommodation is the same for all colleges, about £6800 per year for a non-shared room, fully catered, not en-suite. For other universities such as York the prices vary between college. I am looking at Van Mildert college, but I don't want to be overpaying.
On another note, £6800 seems like a lot of money (even if I get the maximum £8200 loan (2016 entry))
pianofluteftw
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yep, they're all the same except differences for the self catered colleges and a slight discount if you share a room/ slight increase if you have an ensuite.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/...odation/costs/

College accommodation is expensive, and whilst the Durham college experience provides so much more than just somewhere to live (and a lot more than York for example) college costs have risen year on year well above the rate of inflation. In the last academic year there was the largest student protest in 14 years against the rising fees, and we also picketed the open days hoping to get prospective students on board. Whilst the university will not be lowering the cost, there is some suggestion that the rate of increase will slow thanks to pressure from students and individual college principles. We continue to campaign, but if you're worried do contact the accommodation office and voice your concern.
Katbo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I was wondering with the catering, is that fully catered? i.e. you get breakfast, lunch, dinner with no extra fee because someone I know at Cambridge is paying for catered accommodation but still has to pay (even though she has a big discount). Does it vary college to college? I just don't know whether it's worth it to apply to the college I like the most or to one which is self-catered (which is what I'd prefer) depending on how much I'm paying for what. I hope this makes sense!
pianofluteftw
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Katbo)
I was wondering with the catering, is that fully catered? i.e. you get breakfast, lunch, dinner with no extra fee because someone I know at Cambridge is paying for catered accommodation but still has to pay (even though she has a big discount). Does it vary college to college? I just don't know whether it's worth it to apply to the college I like the most or to one which is self-catered (which is what I'd prefer) depending on how much I'm paying for what. I hope this makes sense!
Fully catered at Durham means breakfast lunch and dinner (no extra fees except any snacks you want/ formal dinners are extra). It's the same at every college, however bear in mind that there are a couple of colleges that are either self catered or only partly catered (Jo Butler and Cuths), but this is clearly described on their website!
Katbo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pianofluteftw)
Fully catered at Durham means breakfast lunch and dinner (no extra fees except any snacks you want/ formal dinners are extra). It's the same at every college, however bear in mind that there are a couple of colleges that are either self catered or only partly catered (Jo Butler and Cuths), but this is clearly described on their website!

Thank you for clarifying! I've been reading the prospectus in and out trying to look for details about the catering. Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (732)
33.84%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (925)
42.76%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (411)
19%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.39%

Watched Threads