The Student Room Group

Single parents studying healthcare related degrees

Hi I would like some honest advice as to whether a degree is attainable with limited amount of help with regards to childcare via family/friends? How have you managed re placements and shift work? I have been advised it might be useful to find another parent in the same situation and share childcare. But not sure im keen on this idea. Either way I have a year or two to figure the childcare side of things out. I just dont want to give up on my dream of being a Paramedic on the basis of childcare.
Anyone??
I did my BSc with a toddler. I needed family to cover childcare for times she didn't have nursery and I had lectures, placements or looming deadlines. You do get help with childcare costs but that won't always be useful for things like nights when you just need someone to have them whilst they sleep. It's completely doable, just be prepared to miss out on events and milestones. You may also feel slightly resentful of how much free time the childfree students have but if you wait until your child is at school then you have all of those hours covered and holidays may align nicely.

If it helps, think of it as your job. Plenty of single mums work :-) good luck and chase your dreams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I'm going to weigh out my options some more also pertaining to course choice as I have been told i will be looking at 12hr shift patterns when on placements and at the moment I don't reside near family. Thanks for the insight. Glad to see it can be done and will definitely continue to do so :h:
My mum did and she managed it fine though me and my sister did help her out around the house (I don't know how old your child/children are).
I think child age will be a big factor in how easy it will be to cope with shift work. If you can find a course near somewhere you can develop a good support network that would be ideal otherwise look into a nanny or au pair.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending