Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mean doctors watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else come across doctors who are just plain mean to you?

As I posted earlier, I had nasty tonsilitis two weeks ago, and was totally fine for a week but have been ill again since yesterday. I have exactly the same symptoms as before - swollen tonsil on one side of my throat, so much so that I haven't eaten a single thing all day because it hurts too much to swallow, and the pain radiates right inside the ear on that side and all the way down my face, so that it hurts to turn my head. I feel sick from the taste in my mouth and keep getting hot and dizzy, I've got a bad headache, and I'm waking up in the night feverish and disorientated. And I'm right slap bang in the middle of my A2s.

So I went for the first appointment available at my surgery and told all this to the guy I saw. He just sat and looked at me blankly. Then he looked at my throat, which from looking at myself I know is bright red, with one tonsil twice as big as the other and all puffy and infected. Then he proceeds to tell it doesn't look that bad. He says maybe I've got tonsilitis that's "simmering" or "festering or something", then starts looking at me blankly again. I have a history of being very prone to acute tonsilitis, and I know from experience that the swelling in my throat will only get a lot worse without antibiotics. So I explain how I haven't been able to work properly because of feeling so ill and that I'm really worried about my exams. He tells me "Well you're welcome to walk away with penicillin if you want to. Unfortunately we don't know if it actually cures tonsilitis", and he starts printing out a prescription without me saying anything.

I mean, wtf?! Come on, what doctor says that?! His whole attitude and tone towards me was appalling, I was sitting there in his room feeling incredibly sick and ill and he just made me feel stupid. Found out afterwards that both my parents have had bad experiences with this guy as well, but I just don't think that's on. Why become a doctor only to your patients with what felt like contempt?

Anyone else got mean doctors?!

ReputationRep:
    I was once told by a doctor that all I could do was pray. ... I don't go to him anymore.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glance)
    I was once told by a doctor that all I could do was pray. ... I don't go to him anymore.
    :eek: Hehe, now that is bad!

Doctors seem to be quite nice people in my experience. I'd get a new doctor if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    My experience is that doctors will try and fob you off rather than actually do anything - especially if you are under 18.

ReputationRep:
    I had an alarmingly similar experience with my doctor a week or so ago. Only he also rang up my college's nurse and told her she was stupid for sending me to him.

ReputationRep:
    I have never really had that problem. I hope to be a GP so hopefull I will be more patient. The worst experiance I have had is with a nurse who couldn't give good injections. That hurt alot.

Lets all hope that Helenia turns out better then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Potter)
    Doctors seem to be quite nice people in my experience. I'd get a new doctor if I were you.
    The doctors I usually go to at this practise are usually okay - I just needed an appointment urgently so got lumped with him Won't make the same mistake again though!

Couldn't you complain about him to anybody if he's that bad? You say your parents had bad experiences with him also...he could have a reputation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    My experience is that doctors will try and fob you off rather than actually do anything - especially if you are under 18.
    Yeah I know. I'm 18 though, and until these last few weeks hadn't been to the doctor in good knows how long, so it's not like I complain about every little thing. I don't know how someone can be so dismissive of people showing all the classic symptoms of an illness and then tell them the antibiotics you're about to give them don't work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    I had an alarmingly similar experience with my doctor a week or so ago. Only he also rang up my college's nurse and told her she was stupid for sending me to him.
    Poor you! It makes you feel really stupid doesn't it? When you're feeling horrendous already it's sort of the last thing you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    I have never really had that problem. I hope to be a GP so hopefull I will be more patient. The worst experiance I have had is with a nurse who couldn't give good injections. That hurt alot.
    Ouch I once had a nurse who messed up a blood test and got blood on my T-shirt and then had to do the whole thing again. I was 12 and absolutely terrified of needles. It didn't help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Couldn't you complain about him to anybody if he's that bad? You say your parents had bad experiences with him also...he could have a reputation!
    I guess so, I wouldn't know where to start though, and it's not like he's doing anything tangible wrong - he just has an appalling attitude to people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Lets all hope that Helenia turns out better then!
    And the rest of the medics round here!

It's true though, penicillin doesn't always work on tonsillitis, as it can be viral. With that history though, it's surprising he wouldn't prescribe it, but perhaps if it was an emergency appointment he hadn't read your history (not good, but it's an explanation).

(Original post by helenia)
    It's true though, penicillin doesn't always work on tonsillitis, as it can be viral. With that history though, it's surprising he wouldn't prescribe it, but perhaps if it was an emergency appointment he hadn't read your history (not good, but it's an explanation).
    Hmmmm, listen to the big 19 year old!

As for the person who had injections going wrong, i've had a wors experience but it was at a dentist not a hospital. The dentist was removing a tooth and slipped which cut my gum and blood went everywhere, i also had teeth taken out without painkillers another time because they didn't work. Both times were painful and neither did did i get an apology! When he slashed my gum he just went "whoopsie"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    And the rest of the medics round here!

i went in to the local walk in centre (hospital type of thing) today with my friend coz she has a bad knee, she went to reception and they told her to take a seat. it just so happens my knees been sore recently so i thought while im ere i might as well see some1 too. i went to reception and asked if i cud see a nurse and the women said ' are u wiv that other girl wiv the bad knee' i said yes, she gave me an evil look and said ' thats a quincidence innit? wots wrong wiv ure knee' so i told her its swollen and she was interigating me bad style :mad:
    as though i wanted to see a nurse for the fun of it :mad:
    although it did turn out that way it was a nice young male nurse

ReputationRep:
    i dont mean 2 sound rude but cant u see the point where GPs get tired of seeing people with things like sore throats and bruised knees, which arent going to put them into a critical condition; they will all be ok in a week theres no point in getting medicine coz all its not a good thing (drug resistance etc). im sure that everyone thinks that their ailment is of vital importance but ur all here whining about the lack of care you get...... after all id think that everyone here is alive and well arent u?

And if ur all so upset with the lack of pampering go private where ull get nice patient care

ReputationRep:
    and a palm tree in your room
    I wouldn't go anywhere where there wasn't a palm tree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glance)
    :s whats wrong ?

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.