Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    sounds very similar to an experience i had this morning! luckily i'm not anywhere as near as ill as you but i went to see him about my hayfever because the last few days it's been really hard to concentrate on revision, and i was worrried i'd feel like tgat in exams. i had a steroid injection to try and help it a few weeks ago, and all he did was tell me how bad the steriod injection was and not to have it and how i'd learn my lesson from the side effects and not to "go there"...i was like...erm...too late! thanks for hte support. and another doctor in the same practise advised i have it! grrrr.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    And the rest of the medics round here!

It's true though, penicillin doesn't always work on tonsillitis, as it can be viral. With that history though, it's surprising he wouldn't prescribe it, but perhaps if it was an emergency appointment he hadn't read your history (not good, but it's an explanation).
    That's actually really interesting Helenia, I'd never heard that before. Could be why I seem to have relapsed after being okay for the last week or so I guess? I'm putting it down to exam stress anyway - staying up too late revising and panicking over grades. And the appointment was at 5pm and I booked it before 10 this morning, so I thought he'd have time. I know you're not (yet!) a doctor but any tips on boosting my immune system so that I can make myself a bit better? Constantly getting ill is wrecking my revision so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goliath)
    i dont mean 2 sound rude but cant u see the point where GPs get tired of seeing people with things like sore throats and bruised knees, which arent going to put them into a critical condition; they will all be ok in a week theres no point in getting medicine coz all its not a good thing (drug resistance etc). im sure that everyone thinks that their ailment is of vital importance but ur all here whining about the lack of care you get...... after all id think that everyone here is alive and well arent u?

And if ur all so upset with the lack of pampering go private where ull get nice patient care
    Oh yeah totally, I understand that completely, which is why I hadn't bothered my doctor in 2 years prior to this bout of illness. I usually have to be dragged kicking and screaming - I hate going to the doctor. It's also why I filled him in straight away on my history over the last few weeks and my symptoms, all of which pointed to an awful lot more than just a "sore throat".

Maybe it's not a critical condition, but there are a couple of days from two weeks ago when I first had this that I cannot really remember because I was totally delirious. And that's not a good way to take exams, so I'm scared of letting it get to that stage this time. I know from experience that I won't be okay in a week, because rapidly developing infections don't tend to vanish on their own, at least from my body. And regardless of all of the above, he's a doctor, which makes it his job to take his patients' health seriously. Surely any prospective doctor is thoroughly aware of that.

And yeah, I'll go private if someone wants to pay for it :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allisandro)
    sounds very similar to an experience i had this morning! luckily i'm not anywhere as near as ill as you but i went to see him about my hayfever because the last few days it's been really hard to concentrate on revision, and i was worrried i'd feel like tgat in exams. i had a steroid injection to try and help it a few weeks ago, and all he did was tell me how bad the steriod injection was and not to have it and how i'd learn my lesson from the side effects and not to "go there"...i was like...erm...too late! thanks for hte support. and another doctor in the same practise advised i have it! grrrr.
    Poor you! It does make me wonder how and why some people become doctors. It's also really confusing when you're getting conflicting opinions. The doctor I saw a couple of weeks ago was lovely, urged me to come back in if the antibiotics didn't have an effect because she could test me for glandular fever and put a note into the exam board, she was so nice to me. And then I go back in with identical symptoms and this guy made me feel even worse. It'd be one thing if I was going in there ever day with a different illness, but I usually avoid the doctor's even when I'm half dead! Grr. Hope your hayfever's not too bad anyway

ReputationRep:
    you get what u pay for

yes its their job to make sure u are ok but im sure that if ur condition was so serious the dr would have referred you to a hospital for further investigations.

i personally think that all GPs should get full credit as they prevent so many people from wasting hospital time. does it really matter that much about their attitude to you; i for one would care if a dr was condescending to me as long as i got treated for my problems.

in response to slowjamz if you were delerious why didnt you go to hospital as that sounds worrying?

ReputationRep:
    well my doctor shouted at me because i fell and ruined my knee surgery.... and never tells me anything...... i have had atheritis for 10 years and i only found out yesterday! i hate him but i havnt any choice, i arnt rich so cant go private!

ReputationRep:
    you get what u pay for

yes its their job to make sure u are ok but im sure that if ur condition was so serious the dr would have referred you to a hospital for further investigations.

i personally think that all GPs should get full credit as they prevent so many people from wasting hospital time. does it really matter that much about their attitude to you; i for one would care if a dr was condescending to me as long as i got treated for my problems.

in response to slowjamz if you were delerious why didnt you go to hospital as that sounds worrying?
    If I had a very serious condition then I'm sure I'd get referred to hospital - but GPs are supposed to deal with the less serious stuff, the everyday infections and illnesses that aren't going to kill you but do need treating. I don't mind what treatment he decides is best, even if he prescribes going home and sleeping, but I'd like to be treated like a human being. You say you wouldn't care if a doctor was condescending as long as you got treated for your problems, but he wasn't going to treat me for my problems unless I really pressed the issue of how ill I was, and that's really frustrating. I do agree that GPs deserve credit for what they do but consistently treating people as insignificant isn't in the job description.

As for being delirious, I'd got strong antibiotics at this point so I knew I was going to getting better - I was hugely prone to tonsilitis when I was younger and it always used to make me very very ill like that. Hadn't had it for years but it means I know to handle it by sleeping and waiting for the medication to kick in. I wouldn't waste hospital time over it - I'd rather get to my GP before it goes to that stage, like I did today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mittow)
    i hate him but i havnt any choice, i arnt rich so cant go private!
    you have a choice of GP. change then?

ReputationRep:
    i dont mean 2 sound rude but cant u see the point where GPs get tired of seeing people with things like sore throats and bruised knees, which arent going to put them into a critical condition; they will all be ok in a week theres no point in getting medicine coz all its not a good thing (drug resistance etc). im sure that everyone thinks that their ailment is of vital importance but ur all here whining about the lack of care you get...... after all id think that everyone here is alive and well arent u?

And if ur all so upset with the lack of pampering go private where ull get nice patient care
    You obviously have never had tonsilitus. Last time I had it I wanted to die it was that painful. My mum had it a few times when I was a kid and she was so ill that she couldnt look after me, I had to stay at my aunts, is that not serious?

I had tonsilitus last a few years ago and I managed to get the last appointment on the saturday morning before closing for Easter weekend. The doc said that it wasnt tonsilitus as he couldnt see any white blobs so he didnt give me anything for it. Over that weekend I was in agony and couldnt see the doc until the following tuesday, when I did he said I had tonsilitus!!!! :mad:

Also I am on the contraceptive injection and last year it was due just before my 2 week holiday abroad. I went to the drop-in session at my docs so I had to sit and wait for an appointment. The receptionist said there was a shortage of nurses that day and could I come back the next day. I explained to her that I was going on holiday the next day so I couldnt. She advised me to come back after the holiday and that it should be ok! I replied that I wasnt willing to take that risk and that it isnt her place to give contraceptive advice to patients, she is after all not a qualified nurse!! (although I could have sued if I had got preggers!!!!!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homegrownkitten)
    You obviously have never had tonsilitus. Last time I had it I wanted to die it was that painful. My mum had it a few times when I was a kid and she was so ill that she couldnt look after me, I had to stay at my aunts, is that not serious?

I had tonsilitus last a few years ago and I managed to get the last appointment on the saturday morning before closing for Easter weekend. The doc said that it wasnt tonsilitus as he couldnt see any white blobs so he didnt give me anything for it. Over that weekend I was in agony and couldnt see the doc until the following tuesday, when I did he said I had tonsilitus!!!! :mad:

Also I am on the contraceptive injection and last year it was due just before my 2 week holiday abroad. I went to the drop-in session at my docs so I had to sit and wait for an appointment. The receptionist said there was a shortage of nurses that day and could I come back the next day. I explained to her that I was going on holiday the next day so I couldnt. She advised me to come back after the holiday and that it should be ok! I replied that I wasnt willing to take that risk and that it isnt her place to give contraceptive advice to patients, she is after all not a qualified nurse!! (although I could have sued if I had got preggers!!!!!)
    Wow, it's nice someone understands how I'm feeling at the mo, a lot of people don't realise it's so much more than a sore throat, and I have a tendency to get it quite severely where I literally can't do anything. I only started feeling ill again yesterday and I caught it quickly, because if I'd waited until after the weekend for the appointment, I'd have been a hell of a lot worse and he'd have been offering me penicillin by the truckload But as I have exams on Monday (and all week) I really need to get better quickly and preferably not ruin my chances of getting into uni. Thanks for the sympathy though I think getting medical advice from a receptionist takes the biscuit, especially over something like that where you can't really afford to make mistakes!

ReputationRep:

The thing is, going to your GP is quite important if you are feeling unwell. My brother went because he was sick and feeling unwell, and it turned out he had appedicitis and had to have an emergency operation that same afternoon. Somebody I was speaking to today went to her GP because she was coughing a lot, and the GP told her she had "water on her lungs" or something like that. The GP then told her she had weak mitral valves, which caused this, and her heart had become stronger to compensate for this, but she needed an operation on her heart the following week. It just goes to say that even the most minor problems can be the start of something drastic. If this person hadn't seen her GP, she probably would have major problems in a few years. If my brother hadn't gone to the GP, he may well have died in a few days. GPs are fantastic people, and I love them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowjamz)
    Wow, it's nice someone understands how I'm feeling at the mo, a lot of people don't realise it's so much more than a sore throat, and I have a tendency to get it quite severely where I literally can't do anything. I only started feeling ill again yesterday and I caught it quickly, because if I'd waited until after the weekend for the appointment, I'd have been a hell of a lot worse and he'd have been offering me penicillin by the truckload But as I have exams on Monday (and all week) I really need to get better quickly and preferably not ruin my chances of getting into uni. Thanks for the sympathy though I think getting medical advice from a receptionist takes the biscuit, especially over something like that where you can't really afford to make mistakes!
    My mum used to get it really bad. She couldnt get out of bed for 2 weeks whenever she had it so I feel for ya I do hope you get better before your exams

ReputationRep:
    i entirely agree about the receptionist- its not her place

however u honestly cant expect GPs to be correct 100% of the time as they are human too. u cant expect perfect anything from anyone and if u are so upset with the choice of gp u can change.

i dont think that a good doctor has to be friendly as long as they know their stuff and if u think they dont then u are entitled to change GP.

i think that the actual treatment of the patient is much more important than being nice and friendly as thats what gets results. if u have been working all week, towards the end ud be cranky. u seem to forget how much more pressure is involved with being a Dr, than almost any other job and that noone is perfect!

as for everyday illnesses i dont go to the dr when im under the weather as for an everyday illness like a cold u can do it urself. GPs are for less serious stuff but if everyone with mild flu or a cold came in then the Drs would be overrun :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by glance)
    GPs are fantastic people, and I love them.
    Here here, I second that. My regular GP is fantatic, she must have thousands of patients on her register but she remembers me and asks how Im doing at uni etc. She is just great :cool:

however u honestly cant expect GPs to be correct 100% of the time as they are human too. u cant expect perfect anything from anyone and if u are so upset with the choice of gp u can change.

i think that the actual treatment of the patient is much more important than being nice and friendly as thats what gets results. if u have been working all week, towards the end ud be cranky. u seem to forget how much more pressure is involved with being a Dr, than almost any other job and that noone is perfect!

exactly, gp's and all other doctors are only human. i recently read bodies by jed mercucio and its quite scary, he reckons around 25,000 'accidents' are made by hospital doctors each year.

however as both my parents are doctors and my mum is a gp i can only see their point of view and to be honest they get *soo* many timewasters, i assume the guy who saw you was having a bad day and just decided you were trying to blag yourself a medical form for your exams, apparently every year they get loads of 16-18 coming in with sudden headaches and pains :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    exactly, gp's and all other doctors are only human. i recently read bodies by jed mercucio and its quite scary, he reckons around 25,000 'accidents' are made by hospital doctors each year.

however as both my parents are doctors and my mum is a gp i can only see their point of view and to be honest they get *soo* many timewasters, i assume the guy who saw you was having a bad day and just decided you were trying to blag yourself a medical form for your exams, apparently every year they get loads of 16-18 coming in with sudden headaches and pains :rolleyes:

Does the medical form make you get out of exams? If so when do you retake them then?

ReputationRep:
    if it wasn't your usual doctor than it is unlikely she even looked at your history until you were there- i work at a surgery and we had a locum in today who knew none of our patients and as they only have 10 minutes allocated per patient from 8.30- 6 with about an hour for lunch they have to get an awful lot done- especially if they have a couple of home visits in there. in each patients 10 minutes they are expected to know their history, see the patient, write a referral letter if necessary (could easily take 20 minutes on it's own if there is a lot of information) and somewhere in the day get things like repeat prescriptions done, look at test results, look at letters from the hospital etc.

but yeh there are some really crap doctors out there who don't seem to want to make you better at all.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)

Yeah, I'm not surprised, but I didn't even ask for a medical form. I just want to get better so I can actually do the exams! He also agreed my tonsils were swollen, which is pretty hard to fake, and based on my history of severe tonsilitis you'd think that'd be enough. I do sympathise with GPs' situations and I know how many time-wasters they must get, but after hearing my parents' views I think he treats everyone like that

ReputationRep:
    Well, I once had like a very small lump inside my neck which I could feel with my fingers. So I went and booked an appointment with the doctor and I was told it would be about 4 days. So I went 4 days later and the bump was really tiny by then. But because the doctor couldn't seem to feel much, he just said to me 'I don't think there's anything there. So why have you come and wasted my time? It's gone'. I just wished I could beat him up or something because my lump was there when I made the appointment. Had I received an earlier appointment, then he might have felt something. I just can't believe he said that. I mean, what if I get cancer and get a lump or something and he goes 'Nah, I can't seem to pick up anything now'. He then went and said that the lump was quite common and that I should drink some salty water. What a stupid doctor. If I ever do get cancer and he fails to help me, I'll come back and haunt him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chidori)
    Well, I once had like a very small lump inside my neck which I could feel with my fingers. So I went and booked an appointment with the doctor and I was told it would be about 4 days. So I went 4 days later and the bump was really tiny by then. But because the doctor couldn't seem to feel much, he just said to me 'I don't think there's anything there. So why have you come and wasted my time? It's gone'. I just wished I could beat him up or something because my lump was there when I made the appointment. Had I received an earlier appointment, then he might have felt something. I just can't believe he said that. I mean, what if I get cancer and get a lump or something and he goes 'Nah, I can't seem to pick up anything now'. He then went and said that the lump was quite common and that I should drink some salty water. What a stupid doctor. If I ever do get cancer and he fails to help me, I'll come back and haunt him.
    i hate it when that happens, i had lumps in my cheeks (i felt like a hamster), i asked a nurse at the surgery where i work and she said i should get them checked out, i went the doctor who said i should go the dentist- i then went to the dentist who referred me to the hospital cos it wasn't my teeth. by the time i got to see the consultant they had gone completely, but he said they had probably been glands. a week later i they were popped right up again (more than they had been originally) and it turned out i had glandular fever. it was just so annoying that if my hospital appointment had been a week later they'd have been really obvious.

lou xxx

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.