Turn on thread page Beta

Mean doctors watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    nah, it's the prospective medstudents Sarky

ReputationRep:
    I had a doctor who called me "plump" when I was 12. That's the kind of thing that turns some girls into anorexics! It wasn't my fault that I'd been on a million billion steroids for asthma :mad:

Also, another doctor's incompetence meant that my dad's cancer went undetected for six months. That's mean in a whole other way...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joyabbott)
    nah, it's the prospective medstudents Sarky
    Meeeooow! Would you like blood with your milk? I thought you were all sweetness and light. I've got you sooo wrong! Right madam this calls for action!

(Original post by F. Poste)
    I had a doctor who called me "plump" when I was 12. That's the kind of thing that turns some girls into anorexics! It wasn't my fault that I'd been on a million billion steroids for asthma

Also, another doctor's incompetence meant that my dad's cancer went undetected for six months. That's mean in a whole other way...
    Bloody doctors! Is your dad alright? My grandmum is currently in hospital having a pigs valve put into her aorta as far as i know (i thought only veins has valves, and the aorta is an artery, i only have a GCSE understanding though so can anyone explain that?)

Once a doctor said i was too thin, but to be fair i was ana...

ReputationRep:
    I had a doctor who called me "plump" when I was 12. That's the kind of thing that turns some girls into anorexics! It wasn't my fault that I'd been on a million billion steroids for asthma :mad:

My grandmother was diagnosed with cancer on new years eve. She had a goitre removed the previous august but we didn't find out it was cancerous until new years eve. I don't think that was bad doctoring, that was bad communication on their part. I was very angry about it can i can imagine why you would have been as well. They left it so long i had become complacent and assumed everything was fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkly_tiara)
    Thats scary- my doctor told me exactly the same thing about tonsilittis and antibiotics!! Eventually had them removed but i had the infection so frequently my operations had to be cancelled. I was so run down that every time i got tonsilitis i would get a chest infection too and he would "offer" me antibiotics if i wanted them! It was so stupid and the surgeon was furious with him for leaving me for so long!!!

Lou
    xxx
    i saw a locum who was the opposite- i had suspected glandular fever and she was like 'hmmm you seem to have a lot of infections, maybe we should take your tonsils out'... i then pointed out i'd never had tonsilitis and i had recently seen the ENT (ear nose and throat) consultant (who is a family friend, but has operated on my nose a few times) and he said i have great tonsils (he kinda checks everyones when they see him, just in case)

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Bloody doctors! Is your dad alright? My grandmum is currently in hospital having a pigs valve put into her aorta as far as i know (i thought only veins has valves, and the aorta is an artery, i only have a GCSE understanding though so can anyone explain that?)

Once a doctor said i was too thin, but to be fair i was ana...
    Well, it was left for so long that it's spread to the liver, which is never a good area, but you know, gotta have hope...

A pig's valve? That sounds scary...

Are you still an ana (we used to call them Annies.. which reminds me of the musical) or have you recovered now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    My grandmother was diagnosed with cancer on new years eve. She had a goitre removed the previous august but we didn't find out it was cancerous until new years eve. I don't think that was bad doctoring, that was bad communication on their part. I was very angry about it can i can imagine why you would have been as well. They left it so long i had become complacent and assumed everything was fine.
    You gotta love the NHS.. is she alright, had it spread or did the operation take it all out?

ReputationRep:
    It's the aortic valve in the heart - The heart has 4 valves, one between each atrium and ventricle, and then one between each ventricle and major (aortic and pulmonary), so that blood 'flows the right way' when the heart contracts. Your grandma's aortic valve may be incompetent, so when the heart contracts, instead of all the blood being pumped out into the aorta and around the body, there's some 'backflow' into the Left ventricle. It doesn't empty properly, which causes problems. Alternatively, the valve may be 'stenosed' - basically narrowed, making it difficult for the blood to be pumoed through it.

ReputationRep:
    i had a psychiatrist who barely spoke english once... what exactly is the point of that?!?!?! i mean a dermatologist who didnt speak english would probably get by, but a bloody psychiatrist... i dont think so.

(Original post by joyabbott)
    It's the aortic valve in the heart - The heart has 4 valves, one between each atrium and ventricle, and then one between each ventricle and major (aortic and pulmonary), so that blood 'flows the right way' when the heart contracts. Your grandma's aortic valve may be incompetent, so when the heart contracts, instead of all the blood being pumped out into the aorta and around the body, there's some 'backflow' into the Left ventricle. It doesn't empty properly, which causes problems. Alternatively, the valve may be 'stenosed' - basically narrowed, making it difficult for the blood to be pumoed through it.
    Of course! I knew it would be simple, actually i sort of knew that, i do know how bloods squeezed into the atrium, then to the ventricle, then arteries to go to the lungs or all around the body...i also knew about valves. I just didn't connect them together.

ReputationRep:

well, at least 3 years of medschool has been of some use

Well, it was left for so long that it's spread to the liver, which is never a good area, but you know, gotta have hope...

A pig's valve? That sounds scary...

Are you still an ana (we used to call them Annies.. which reminds me of the musical) or have you recovered now?
    Oh dear, i hope your dad is alright, my mum has HIV

Yes it is quite scary, i talked to her on the phone and said "woah, i was expecting you to oink" - she wasn't very happy with me, maybe it was too soon.

Yes i am no longer ana, only underweight, i'm 5ft11 and 8 stone but better then being 5ft10 and 6 stone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    Of course! I knew it would be simple, actually i sort of knew that, i do know how bloods squeezed into the atrium, then to the ventricle, then arteries to go to the lungs or all around the body...i also knew about valves. I just didn't connect them together.
    It should all be fine, it's quite routine and at least she won't need the anticoagulants with a piggy valve. Personally, if I had to have a replacement, I'd go for a piggy rather than a mechanical valve - I'd be waiting for it to stop ticking.

Why do people stick with drap doctors? I've been really lucky I've had good GP's for most of my life. I did register with a GP in London, the GP was fine but the rest of the staff!!!! I went to a different practice after 2 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Grr, im hating my doctor atm, only found out this morning that they don't do saturday surgery anymore, have to go to keydoc if its urgent. However, being in the middle of AS's i really need a doctors cert and now i can't get one til monday. He is also an idiot and extrememly patronising. Can't wait to get a different one.

ReputationRep:
    I've had tonsilitis about 20 times. I used to get it like twice a year. With antibiotics it cleared up in maybe 1-2 days. After I got really busy at school I stopped going to the doctor and just waited it out. It was moderately painful (Sort of weird salty-sickly feeling at the back of the throat) and gave a bit of trouble with sleeping but it cleared up in 3-4 days. I haven't had it for at least 3 years now. I'm wondering whether that's because I stopped taking anitbiotics and fought it myself. Who knows?

Whenever I go to the doctor I always get a different doctor (there are 4)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    as though i wanted to see a nurse for the fun of it :mad:
    although it did turn out that way it was a nice young male nurse
    some ppl do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.