The Student Room Group

Current Year 12 Student - Ask me anything about GCSEs.

Hello, I recently completed my GCSEs and I'm now studying Chemistry, Maths, Biology and Physics at AS in Year 12 with the hope of also picking up AS History next year (Year 13).

With that in mind, I obviously recently completed GCSEs, where I received 8A*'s and 3A's. Obviously there will be people who done much better than me, but nevertheless I thought I'd open this thread for inquisitive Year 11 students who're currently studying GCSEs and have any questions.

So, if you do have any questions or anything else related to GCSEs which I may be able to help with, post it here or PM me! :smile:
Do you have any tips on how to get good grades, such as yours? Any specific revision techniques or studying advice?
Thank You! Do you have any tips and advice on how to pass GCSEs? I work hard but I want to work even harder! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Any general advice - how to achieve such great grades? Revision techniques? Thanks!
Reply 4
Original post by CaptainArctic
Do you have any tips on how to get good grades, such as yours? Any specific revision techniques or studying advice?

Original post by Schoolgirl12
Thank You! Do you have any tips and advice on how to pass GCSEs? I work hard but I want to work even harder! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Joshua-P
Any general advice - how to achieve such great grades? Revision techniques? Thanks!

To be entirely truthful, I didn't pay much attention in any of my classes, I messed around and talked a lot. Similarly, I didn't start my revision till quite late, in some people's eyes, in late April with my first exam being the 5th of May. However, when it came to it, I knew what I needed to know, I'd pay attention in classes I knew I needed to and I'd revise and cover content at home that didn't come easily to me. On this note, I'd say make sure you concentrate 100% in the lessons you know you need to but also don't overdo yourself, there's only so much our brain can handle, don't work yourself out.

I'd personally say start when you feel right, the earlier the better, but, once again, don't start and peak your revision too early or you'll become overworked and lose the desire to revise making it a mundane repetitive process - this is most definitely not wanted.
As previously mentioned, everyone has their own way and method of revising which suits them best. This therefore means that you need to find your own, most efficient, way of revising if not already known. You could possibly try find the most effective way for you within the first few months of Year 11 when there's no real urgency to begin revising for your GCSE's.
Test every revision method you can think of, reading, writing and rewriting notes, mind maps, recording notes using your phone and listening to them back, actually being taught, teaching etc. during this time and use mock exams to see how well these methods work.

Personally, I found that the best methods for me was interactive learning, this involved watching videos, asking plenty of questions (which I'd massively advise), getting a fellow pupil to explain a topic to me if I was unsure, rewriting and constantly rereading notes (particularly before bed) and then finally, once I was sure on a topic, standing up in front of the mirror, a friend, fellow pupil or family member and describing and explaining the topic as if I was the teacher. I'd do this until I could efficiently 'teach' everything without the need for pauses and essentially, until I could deliver a well-thought out but spontaneous 'lesson' to my 'pupils'.
On the note of this, I read a few times that teaching solidifies knowledge more so than being taught, so I found a combination of both (receiving 'interactive' and involving teaching from friends or teachers or 'teaching' myself) was the best way. As a final precaution, I'd stick notes of particularly difficult topics or little bits of information around my room, I'd recap over this, as well as my notes, at night before going to sleep, this often meant I'd recap over difficult topics twice, in my notes in my book and on the sticky notes on my wall.

I can't emphasise how helpful past papers are, I found them most useful for Maths - technique plays a big role in every test and past papers ensures you know exam technique.Anyway, I wish you three the very best of luck in your GCSE's, I'm sure you all will do amazing.
Reply 5
1). How did your teacher cover all the material for science (assume i'm doing Triple)?
How to revise maths :-/?
Reply 7
When did you revise for January mocks?

I want all A*. Thinking of starting tomorrow.
Reply 8
Original post by 0lut0
1). How did your teacher cover all the material for science (assume i'm doing Triple)?

My teacher only began covering Unit 3 (the final unit) in the months leading up to the exam, it was a bit rushed and often relied on us coming back after school or learning the content ourselves.
Reply 9
Original post by FaisalNaeem03
How to revise maths :-/?

Past paper questions are your best friend. Do every question two times over, at least.

Original post by Succedo
When did you revise for January mocks?

I want all A*. Thinking of starting tomorrow.

In all honesty, I didn't really revise for mocks. However, I would say to you, if you're going to revise start late November. Up until that point lightly recap on topics, half an hour to an hour a day and thus make sure you know everything to a sufficient standard.
Still going to get a bad grade thoo in maths, as I did Stats all last year. So I don't understand how Past Papers even help :-/?. Like shall I just answer/ attempt the question that's all.
Reply 11
Original post by FaisalNaeem03
Still going to get a bad grade thoo in maths, as I did Stats all last year. So I don't understand how Past Papers even help :-/?. Like shall I just answer/ attempt the question that's all.

Before you begin past papers look through all the content in the specification. Ensure you know all of it to a high standard, and if you don't then go to your teacher or look for a revision source to explain it.

Once you understand every single topic to a high level then begin past papers and exam style questions on every topic. Attempt a test, for example, under timed conditions and then mark it very harshly in another coloured pen using the mark scheme. Once done, go over the exam, note your mistakes and make sure you understand where and when you went wrong.

Do this until every type of question becomes second nature.
Reply 12
Also, is there a possibility i'll get dropped from Triple Science if I get a C in my first mock?
Reply 13
Original post by 0lut0
Also, is there a possibility i'll get dropped from Triple Science if I get a C in my first mock?

It depends on your teacher and what they expect of you, ask your teacher about this. But, nevertheless, make sure you get above a C to make sure you don't.

Quick Reply

Latest