Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    A rugby player is running due North with speed 4m/s. He throws the ball horizontally and the ball has an initial velocity relative to the player of 6m/s in the direction bearing 180+¤ where tan¤=4/3. Find the magnitude and the direction of the initial velocity of the ball relative to a stationary spectator.

A small bead B of mass m can slide on a smooth circular wire of radius a which is fixed in a vertical plane. B is attached to one end of a light elastic string, of natural length 3a/2 and modulus of elasticity mg. The other end of the string is attached to a fixed point A which is vertically above the centre C of the circula wire with AC=3a.
    Show that there is a stable equilibrium position of the system when ¤, the angle which the radius through B make with the downward vertical, satisfies cos¤=-1/6

the equation of motion of a particle moving on the x-axis is
    d^2y/dx+2kdy/dx+n^2x=0
    Given that k and n are positive constants, with k<n show that the time between two successive maxima of x is constant

p6
    A= 101

the transformation T:R^3->R^3 is represented by the matrix A.
    Find the catesian equations of the line which is mapped by T onto the line
    x=y/4=z/3

I dont know how to start or do this kind of question at all so please explain me in detail

Again too many questions
    >-<

ReputationRep:
    For the first one, write the velocity of the ball, relative to the rugby player in vector form. It is already moving at 4ms due north, so if the balls velocity, relative to the rugby player is xi + yj, then relative to the spectators it will be xi + (y+4)j.

ReputationRep:
    I still cant get the right answer
    which is 4.82m/s and bearing 275deg
    it isnt that simple i guess

ReputationRep:
    I havent done any of the q's but i can give you some general pointers which may be useful...

1) For relative velocity questions it is essential that you first write down the correct vector equation, ie that bVp = Vb - Vp. Then use this information to construct a vector triangle, and use geometry to find the unknown length/angle. Often you have to use the cosine or sine rule.

2) Split the energy up into PE and EPE, with each one expressed as a function of ¤. Find dV/d¤, and it should be 0 when cos¤ = -1/6

3) These ones can be very tricky. Start by finding the general solution (P4) as x = f(t). Maxima occur when dx/dt = 0, so you need to find an expression for the values of t at the Nth and (N+1)th maxima. Almost always involving pi. Then take away and you should be left with something independant of N and t.

4) If the original vector was p = (x y z) [should be a column], and the result was q, then Ap = q ie p = A^-1 q basically find the inverse

Sorry if it was brief post back if you need more help

ReputationRep:
    Yea, i get that answer the way i suggested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It'sPhil...)
    I havent done any of the q's but i can give you some general pointers which may be useful...

1) For relative velocity questions it is essential that you first write down the correct vector equation, ie that bVp = Vb - Vp. Then use this information to construct a vector triangle, and use geometry to find the unknown length/angle. Often you have to use the cosine or sine rule.

2) Split the energy up into PE and EPE, with each one expressed as a function of ¤. Find dV/d¤, and it should be 0 when cos¤ = -1/6

3) These ones can be very tricky. Start by finding the general solution (P4) as x = f(t). Maxima occur when dx/dt = 0, so you need to find an expression for the values of t at the Nth and (N+1)th maxima. Almost always involving pi. Then take away and you should be left with something independant of N and t.

4) If the original vector was p = (x y z) [should be a column], and the result was q, then Ap = q ie p = A^-1 q basically find the inverse

Sorry if it was brief post back if you need more help

Sorry
    i still cant do any of the questions
    Except last one i know how to do them but i cant get the answer right. for number 1 is that right picture?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by totaljj)
    Sorry
    i still cant do any of the questions
    Except last one i know how to do them but i cant get the answer right. for number 1 is that right picture?
    For q1), you have bvp = 6m/s??
    its v(b) that's 6m/s.
    The rest is ok.
    I got the same as jamesf.

Edit: the angle is wrong!
    ¤ is the acute angle at the top between the 4m/s velocity and the 6m/s velocity.

ReputationRep:
    I've attempted Q4, but I'm not too sure about it
    Better wait, perhaps, until someone confirms it !

Edit: problem with the image attachment. Looking at it !

Edit2: I had to split the image file into two bits. Mathtype can only handle so much - not too much

Edit3: changed some of the arithemetic on image_2 after fixing an element in the inverse matrix A^-1.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, i got a slightly different inverse matrix to that, lemme check my workings.

ReputationRep:
    I got A^-1 = 1/7*
    (5,2, -1
    -17, 3, 2
    2, -2, 1)

Which gives the answer [x,y,z] = [10/7, 1/7, -3/7]

Plug this back and you get [1,4,3]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesF)
    I got A^-1 = 1/7*
    (5,2, -1
    -17, 3, 2
    2, -2, 1)

Which gives the answer [x,y,z] = [10/7, 1/7, -3/7]

Plug this back and you get [1,4,3]
    Yeah, I did a subtraction, instead of an addition on that central element - it should be 3/7
    Fixing it now.

ReputationRep:
    For question 2
    is this picture ok and is it possible to get the length of string

always thx
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by totaljj)
    For question 2
    is this picture ok and is it possible to get the length of string

always thx
    T=λx/l

At equilibrium,as an approximation, let tension in string be that from weight of bead, therefore
    (you'll actually have to resolve forces here, at the bead)

T=mg

also,

l=3a/2
    λ=mg

then,

x=Tl/λ
    x = mg*(3a/2)/(mg)
    x = 3a/2 (extension) (remember this is only an approx)
    =====

So, length of stretched string is l'=l+x

l'= 3a/2 + 3a/2
    l'=3a
    ===
    So, AB = 3a (an approx)

I think the picture should therefore look more like the one I attached.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    The length of the string is found using the cosine rule. If the length of the string is d, then

d² = 9a² + a² - 6a².cos(pi - x) [i'll call my angle as x]

=> d² = a²(10 + 6cosx)

Therefore the EPE is mg/3a(d - 3a/2)²

= mg/3a (d² + 9a²/4 - 3ad)

=mg/3a (10a² + 6a²cosx + 9a²/4 - 3a².(10 + 6cox)^1/2)

Also PE is -amgcosx

So V = mga[ cosx - (10 + 6cosx)^1/2 ] + constant (after simplifying!)

dV/dx = mga[ sinx - 3sinx(10 + 6cosx)^-1/2 ]

dV/dx = 0 => mga.sinx(1 - 3(10 + 6cosx)^-1/2) = 0

Sinx = 0 is unstable, so 1 = 3(10 + 6cosx)^-1/2

Squaring gives 1 = 9/(10 + 6cosx)

or 10 + 6cosx = 9 => cosx = -1/6

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 11, 2004
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.