The Student Room Group

Average Masters Graduate Salary

Hi all,

I just finished my MSc (Management) and am considering some offers. What is a good salary for someone (I'm 24) who just finished their MSc? I went to UCL if that matters.

Thanks,

Molly
An MSc is good, and does help to distinguish you from grads, but i'd say your wage expectations should be the same as if you didnt have an MSc.

Dont get hung up on money right now - you have your whole career ahead of you. Look for good opportunities where you can learn new skills and grow.

Money will come when you gain skills and prove your ability.
Reply 2
Original post by Spongebob'sPants
An MSc is good, and does help to distinguish you from grads, but i'd say your wage expectations should be the same as if you didnt have an MSc.

Dont get hung up on money right now - you have your whole career ahead of you. Look for good opportunities where you can learn new skills and grow.

Money will come when you gain skills and prove your ability.

Echo this.

if you google "average graduate salary london" it says the average salary is £29k.

http://www.topuniversities.com/student-info/careers-advice/value-masters-degree

^This article suggest there is some salary premium for doing a master relative to a bachelors, but its not much and I wouldnt bank on it tbh.
There are no figures on this except for MBAs. Employment rates are a lot better for people with a postgraduate qualification though.
Reply 4
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I'm a bit surprised to hear all this, as the offer I received was for £49k + £10k annual bonus (account manager role in a SaaS company). I'm from the US, so maybe my salary expectations were too high, but I actually thought £49k was in the middle range for someone with an MSc. I should add though that this is not a graduate scheme - my program director at UCL introduced me to the manager at the company, who was very relaxed, and she did all my salary negotiation for me as she said she'd be better at it than me. I guess then 49k is relatively good. But it seems like this is not the norm- am I incorrect in this? Or is it arts/other historically low paying jobs where the £20k figure comes from?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by adibear
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the replies. I'm a bit surprised to hear all this, as the offer I received was for £49k + £10k annual bonus (account manager role in a SaaS company). I'm from the US, so maybe my salary expectations were too high, but I actually thought £49k was in the middle range for someone with an MSc. I should add though that this is not a graduate scheme - my program director at UCL introduced me to the manager at the company, who was very relaxed, and she did all my salary negotiation for me as she said she'd be better at it than me. I guess then 49k is relatively good. But it seems like this is not the norm- am I incorrect in this? Or is it arts/other historically low paying jobs where the £20k figure comes from?

That is a fantastic salary!! Much much higher than the average for a grad.

I'd bite their hands off, if you havent already :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by adibear
Hi guys,

Setup the thread (and user account) to show off huh?

11" penis too but this thats average?
Reply 7
Original post by adibear
I'm a bit surprised to hear all this, as the offer I received was for £49k + £10k annual bonus (account manager role in a SaaS company)

Was that £49k OTE?
Reply 8
Original post by Quady

Come now.. let's not jump to conclusions :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Original post by Reue
Come now.. let's not jump to conclusions :rolleyes:

:smile:

OTE was a good shout, although I think both things are in play :biggrin:
Reply 10
Original post by Quady
:smile:

OTE was a good shout, although I think both things are in play :biggrin:

It's the 'Account Manager' trick; always a sales role yet in a company struggling to attract decent sales people and so paints it as something different. Infamous for wildly exaggerated OTEs and high staff turnovers.

Good luck OP
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Reue
It's the 'Account Manager' trick; always a sales role yet in a company struggling to attract decent sales people and so paints it as something different. Infamous for wildly exaggerated OTEs and high staff turnovers.

Agreed. If the OP only has an MSc qualification, and no experience, then realistically they should be starting on a much lower salary in a junior position before working their way up through the company. There's no way the OP has been offered a £49,000 plus £10,000 bonus without experience. Even if it is OTE then the OP should express caution because to be thrown straight in at that level without any experience is not a wise move. It is one of the reasons, as you stated, that there's a high turnover rate. It also depends on the company. If it's a large respected company they will put you in at junior level and that is a fact. Personally, the OP needs to ask more questions and do more research because if they get thrown in at that level with little understanding of what it involves, in that particular line of work, they are not going to swim, they are going to sink.
Original post by adibear
Hi all,

I just finished my MSc (Management) and am considering some offers. What is a good salary for someone (I'm 24) who just finished their MSc? I went to UCL if that matters.

Thanks,

Molly

Depends on the field man. You've been offered a decent package, almost rivaling the IBs/top consulting houses for base salary alone, definitely something you should really consider.

On the whole, an MS in Management will command much the same salary as someone with a bachelor's from a uni of the same caliber, the premium only really kicks in for top MBAs. You'd struggle to find a salary that matches £49k outside of IB/Consulting/Law - maybe try a startup?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by Quady

11" penis too but this thats average?

Er...I'm a girl, so no to both the former and the latter.

But I should have provided more info - sorry, posted the original post on my phone in a rush :smile:. This is not a sales role. I've already been interning at this company for 10 weeks part time while I finished my MSc, so I know what's expected of my role, and there are no sales targets (targets are measured as account retention, i.e. level of churn), but I didn't know the pay until they offered me a full time role. 49k is the base salary and the 10k is split to 2,500 per quarter; assuming I maintain my level of churn I will earn the 2,500 per quarter. Also, this is a medium sized private start up. It has no such thing as "junior roles" or a specific progression track in that sense, and thus has none of the formalities of ascension that (I assume) you'd see in top 100 companies- it's very much a 'start up' culture.

I did work for one year following my BSc for YouTube. As the company making the offer is a video software company, it makes sense that my experience is relevant, but I still wasn't sure what kind of salary that could command. Come on guys, I really wanted to get a no-BS answer from people on salary expectations; I've read all the stats online (which, one commenter pointed out could be misleading), but it's also good to hear directly from other students/recent grads too. And like I said, salary expectations in the US are very different. This kind of salary would be mid-range in the US.

Thanks for all the reasonable answers - I guess then I should go for it, as it seems I will not get this salary any time soon elsewhere, and so far I am enjoying the role. Was just curious to see what else was out there salary-wise.

Molly
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by J-SP
There's no point trying to compare salaries with other post graduates.

Your degree will mean little in terms of how your salary was deemed appropriate. Your experience with the organisation to date and your year with YouTube will clearly be the main contributors.

A 75k dollar salary might be "mid rate" salary in the US (guess it really depends on location etc in the US though) but again, you can't really compare/contrast. The additional employment benefits you get in the UK are likely to outweigh those in the US.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough, as health insurance in the US (don't get me started....) is crazy expensive as it is. Thanks - Just wanted to get a feel about realistic expectations from other graduates. A $75k salary in NYC is not much at all, vs the same salary in say, Idaho, goes a long way.
Reply 15
Original post by Princepieman
Depends on the field man. You've been offered a decent package, almost rivaling the IBs/top consulting houses for base salary alone, definitely something you should really consider.

On the whole, an MS in Management will command much the same salary as someone with a bachelor's from a uni of the same caliber, the premium only really kicks in for top MBAs. You'd struggle to find a salary that matches £49k outside of IB/Consulting/Law - maybe try a startup?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

I think you may be right - this company is a medium-sized "start up," so the culture is very different. I was actually shocked to learn that it seems the bigger the organization (big banks/consultancies) the lower the starting pay is compared to what private start ups and smaller companies can offer. I would have assumed it was exactly the opposite - that the larger ones would be able to pay you more.
So much money!!!! 我Ppwg. . 0. 去拉对的a
Original post by adibear
Hi,

I think you may be right - this company is a medium-sized "start up," so the culture is very different. I was actually shocked to learn that it seems the bigger the organization (big banks/consultancies) the lower the starting pay is compared to what private start ups and smaller companies can offer. I would have assumed it was exactly the opposite - that the larger ones would be able to pay you more.

The banks generally have bonuses tacked on top of the base salaries which bring all-in comp to a very top of the range level, consultancies (the top ones at least) don't tend dish out the same level of bonus so you are correct there. Ultimately, you sign up to thw cultural components that accompany a startup with the hope of getting some form of skin in the game (read: equity) at a later date.

You're right though, startups have a bit more leeway for starting pay than many of the larger players but the trajectory may not be as great.
Reply 18
Good evening,I recently got into UCL for MSc Management program 2021 sept intake. I am basically from India and a BBA graduate this year from Panjab University. I am really confused whether I should consider this offer or wait for MBA. I am 21 years old right now and tuition fees is quite high that is 34,100 pounds. If I take this course will it boost my career trajectory. Will I earn enough and there would be a better return on investment?Kindly give me some good advise!RegardsAryan Dogra
Original post by Aryan_
Good evening,I recently got into UCL for MSc Management program 2021 sept intake. I am basically from India and a BBA graduate this year from Panjab University. I am really confused whether I should consider this offer or wait for MBA. I am 21 years old right now and tuition fees is quite high that is 34,100 pounds. If I take this course will it boost my career trajectory. Will I earn enough and there would be a better return on investment?Kindly give me some good advise!RegardsAryan Dogra

£34,000 plus living costs (£20k?) is a cost of £54,000. Its not easy to pay back that kind of investment. For it to be of value you would need to get the sort of boost which gets you into investment banking, consulting etc and not to be able to get into these fields without the masters degree.

If you have decent job opportunities at the moment I'd guess you would do much better spending the money on an MBA in a few years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending