Al_YG
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
How many mechanics modules are enough to do either Engineering/Physics/Astronomy at a good university like Imperial or Oxford, and by the way is statistics or decision maths even necessary. (This is for both a-level and further maths modules)? If there is no exact answer, could you all just post the perfect a-level maths/further maths modules to study please.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Tank Girl)
x
jsMath
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi,

In general you need the following topics in mathematics:

Discrete Mathematics
Single Variable Calculus
Multi Variable Calculus
Linear Algebra with dirac notation from my point of view
Probability, Random Process and Statistics
Applied Mathematics or Mechanics
Abstract Algebra
Complex Analysis

I don't know how much of this is included in your A-levels, but i would think that do every maths modules available in A-levels

For example you'll need multi-variable calculus in order to derive the Big Bang if you wish to study physics or astronomy, or derive Maxwell's equations if studying physics or engineering...
Believe it or not sometimes you'll have all of those topics of mathematic in one engineering equation all combined to model a system.

One important issue is you may visualize one subject from different mathematical views

For example if you have a series you may easily convert that into linear algebra and vice versa.

I strongly recommend you lear Euclidian geometry and Principia by Great Sir I Newton.

So basically the more maths you can do the better results you can get.
You need to build a really strong foundation and master mathematics inside out...

Good luck...
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lots of help here about applying for Engineering : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Engineering_Degree
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Al_YG)
How many mechanics modules are enough to do either Engineering/Physics/Astronomy at a good university like Imperial or Oxford, and by the way is statistics or decision maths even necessary. (This is for both a-level and further maths modules)? If there is no exact answer, could you all just post the perfect a-level maths/further maths modules to study please.
Any Maths and FM is fine, but the more Mechanics the better obviously. I'd say to do S1 at least as engineers do use stats. D1 is not so relevant but can be for EEE.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Smack
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Most of the maths you'll study in an engineering degree revolves around calculus. Therefore, the best modules to study are the calculus based ones. Statistics can be useful too, but in my experience it's the calculus that's the killer.
+ polarity -
Report 5 years ago
I'd recommend mechanics modules but after 1st year I didn't use much of anything I covered in them. S1 would definitely be useful too. M3-5 (just the content, not the exams!) may be slightly helpful, they introduce concepts like circular motion, air resistance, and rockets that lose mass. M2 onwards use a bit of calculus in the same kind of sense that you would use it in engineering, so you might want to read about the topics these modules cover.

(Original post by Smack)
Most of the maths you'll study in an engineering degree revolves around calculus. Therefore, the best modules to study are the calculus based ones. Statistics can be useful too, but in my experience it's the calculus that's the killer.
Very true, but calculus is part of the core modules, which are compulsory!
Al_YG
Rep:
?
Thanks guys, I will pick more mechanics and drop d2.
AsphodelMist
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Al_YG)
Thanks guys, I will pick more mechanics and drop d2.
What have you picked so far? I'm applying for engineering at Cambridge and I'm doing:
C1 C2 S1; C3 C4 D1 -- maths
FP1 M1 M2; FP2 FP3 M3 -- further maths
I'm now starting A2 and I really like this combo
Al_YG
Rep:
?
(Original post by AsphodelMist)
What have you picked so far? I'm applying for engineering at Cambridge and I'm doing:
C1 C2 S1; C3 C4 D1 -- maths
FP1 M1 M2; FP2 FP3 M3 -- further maths
I'm now starting A2 and I really like this combo
I decided to choose them too! I like my mechanics teachers better than my decision ones...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

New lockdown - Do you agree schools and universities should remain open?

Yes (55)
36.42%
No (79)
52.32%
I don't know (17)
11.26%

Watched Threads