The Student Room Group

Predicted grade problem

So I got 4 As at AS, 1 above 90%, 2 more above 85% and 1 below 85% and was planning to apply for Economics at LSE, UCL, Warwick and 2 more undecided.

I got my predicted grades last week and got A*AA in Economics, Maths and Biology respectively. I dropped the 4th AS (Further Maths). All 3 of those Unis have stated on their website A*AA with the A* in Maths. As i said above, my A* prediction is not for maths. I have had a chat with my teacher and head of sixth and they refuse to budge.

I know they don't have a 90% policy because i only got 86% in econ but got an A* prediction, and i got 93% in biology and got an A prediction.

Any advice? Should I still apply to these unis?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Economistician
So I got 4 As at AS, 1 above 90%, 2 more above 85% and 1 below 85% and was planning to apply for Economics at LSE, UCL, Warwick and 2 more undecided.

I got my predicted grades last week and got A*AA in Economics, Maths and Biology respectively. I dropped the 4th AS (Further Maths). All 3 of those Unis have stated on their website A*AA with the A* in Maths. As i said above, my A* prediction is not for maths. I have had a chat with my teacher and head of sixth and they refuse to budge.

I know they don't have a 90% policy because i only got 86% in econ but got an A* prediction, and i got 93% in biology and got an A prediction.

Any advice? Should I still apply to these unis?

Maths is a very hard A-level, and it's common for people to drop a grade or more at A2, which may be why your teacher doesn't want to predict you an A*. It seems like you've accepted you can't change their mind, which is good, but you may want to ask if your referee will mention your maths UMS on your reference.

Economics, especially at LSE, is a competitive course, so I would say it's not a good idea to apply to 3 unis where your predicted grades don't meet the specific conditions of their offer. I would suggest applying to maybe one out of UCL and Warwick, and then have maybe one-two other unis asking for A*AA but not specifying the A* must be in maths. Any uni asking for A*AA is going to be competitive though, so having at least 2-3 safer options is probably a good idea.

Do bear in mind that Economics at LSE is really really popular, so they have to reject candidates who meet all their entry requirements every year.

Don't forget that if you do get your A* in maths, and exceed your firm offer, you would be eligible for adjustment, or you could take a year out and reapply from a much stronger position.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending