hpjm1337
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi everyone

I'm thinking of doing the GDL.

Some questions:

How difficult is it? Is it possible to continue hobbies and have a social life?

Is it a useful qualification in its own right?
pp93
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by hpjm1337)
Hi everyone

Some questions:

I've not done it myself but several of my friends have. I did a law degree. From comparing notes etc the GDL definitely seems easier and all my friends were able to carry on with their lives as normal.

The difficult thing they found was sometimes that concepts were quite abstract and difficult to grasp and there were periods where there was a lot of work. I guess that would be the same in any course though.

Only do it if you're set on a legal career. If not, you're better off pursuing something you might be more interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TimmonaPortella
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Imho you should do it if and only if you have a TC offer or Inn scholarship.
EasternGrit
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Academically easy; mostly moderate workload ie like a ft job, but with periods of more; no use for anything other than being a solicitor, barrister or paralegal. Getting into the former two is extremely competitive - do your research and very carefully weigh up your chances/secure the backing of a tc or scholarship as mentioned above before doing the gdl
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Outside of the legal professions the GDL is hardly recognised. Even in the legal profession it's just seen more as a process/tick boxing exercise rather than having any clout or prestige.

Many find the course ok but there are some who really struggle with it. From experience, it's those who think they can treat it like their undergrad degree, miss lectures and try to cram revision into a tight window before exams who have a tendency to fail. It's one of those courses where you have to chip away at the subjects to get your head around them,

Some still struggle if they take a better approach - as mentioned above, they tend to have trouble dealing with more of the abstract matters.

On the other hand many find it relatively easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
happyinthehaze
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well, I have done the GDL - it isn't easy. It's intense with a high workload. Yes, some areas you will find easier than others, but some you are bound to find more challenging.

I don't know anyone who has done it who found it easy. Do-able yes; but challenging.

There is a vast amount of material to get through, which is difficult to keep on top of. You really have to work at it all the way through as you go along. You will not get a lot of time for revision.

You have to be pretty organised and dedicated to do it. If you treat it like a full time job, working on it 9 to 6 say, then you should be OK as long as you do the work as you go along.

If you skip classes and pile the work up until just before the exams and then cram, it won't work.

Lastly, if you did an artsy degree, you might find the rather streamlined and logistical approach a challenge.

Is it useful? It's surely not seen as on a par with a law degree, for status reasons. It might not do any harm but it doesn't qualify you for anything. Only do it if you want to be lawyer obvs!

It's also difficult to make decent notes from in the tutorial groups plus you have to remember everything for the exams.

It's also not a lot of fun and is entirely rigged to passing the exams.

Other than that, go for it!

(Original post by hpjm1337)
Hi everyone

Some questions:

Fermionic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
As a humanities student converting, i found it rather difficult. The approach is different, the workload much higher and there isn't really much time to acclimatise.
eufrosine
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hello! there is someone who can tell me if it is possible do a full time GDL and working on the same time?
i 'm from Italy and for do this course i have to work!
i don't undestand, how many hours for week i have to do physically at the University?
i'm aware there is a lot of study to do, but i need to understand if is possible for me to do it .

Thank you in advance for thoose who answer me
honestly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by happyinthehaze)
Well, I have done the GDL - it isn't easy. It's intense with a high workload. Yes, some areas you will find easier than others, but some you are bound to find more challenging.

I don't know anyone who has done it who found it easy. Do-able yes; but challenging.

There is a vast amount of material to get through, which is difficult to keep on top of. You really have to work at it all the way through as you go along. You will not get a lot of time for revision.

You have to be pretty organised and dedicated to do it. If you treat it like a full time job, working on it 9 to 6 say, then you should be OK as long as you do the work as you go along.

If you skip classes and pile the work up until just before the exams and then cram, it won't work.

Lastly, if you did an artsy degree, you might find the rather streamlined and logistical approach a challenge.

Is it useful? It's surely not seen as on a par with a law degree, for status reasons. It might not do any harm but it doesn't qualify you for anything. Only do it if you want to be lawyer obvs!

It's also difficult to make decent notes from in the tutorial groups plus you have to remember everything for the exams.

It's also not a lot of fun and is entirely rigged to passing the exams.

Other than that, go for it!
I was wondering how hard it is to get a Distinction? is it basically studying units from LLB that make it a qualifying LLB?
Conradin1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by honestly)
I was wondering how hard it is to get a Distinction? is it basically studying units from LLB that make it a qualifying LLB?
It's not easy to get a distinction. Some people get it more than others naturally, but the common difference between the people who got distinctions and those that got commendations or lower is the number of hours that are put in. It's difficult, but possible, to get consistent high marks across the units. You can't blag a high mark by cramming at the end.

The GDL has only a limited amount of topics within the core units (that you need to study to have a qualifying LLB, yes), and there's not a colossal amount of variety in the exams - if you know how it wants questions answered, adopt a structured approach and do the work / type up your notes as you go, it's attainable.

I'm sure some law firms do see the GDL as a box-ticking exercise, but, in my experience, getting a distinction went some way in evening out my somewhat iffy previous academics. I think they recognise it's pretty difficult to do well on. Most people end up with a commendation - that should be the least you aim for.
Jadebrown
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've been accepted into the GDL at City university for Sep. about to complete a public health degree (hopefully a first)
The question is something I was also wondering but at the moment I am worried about funding. I have applied for a scholarship but even if I get it there is still the question of living costs as I have a house and 2 children. Wish student finance was more helpful. Does anyone have any advice regarding this?
Mine1508
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I am accepted to gdl at Bournemouth university as well but I was told that this course is not funded by the government. I am a single mum of two and working part time. I am very excited but a bit scared equally. I need to do my own financial arrangements and still working on it. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. Also this is a part time course and I need to know how many hours that I need to be at the university for the classes so that I can arrange my work and childcare around it. I wonder if anyone would be able to give some info about it. I contact the university but they said I need to wait till September. A bit overview would be great. And if any visual classes available if I miss any classes. I am also thinking to do some early reading but I was told that the book lost has not been published yet. Any suggestions please ? Many thanks
BU Students
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Mine1508)
I am accepted to gdl at Bournemouth university as well but I was told that this course is not funded by the government. I am a single mum of two and working part time. I am very excited but a bit scared equally. I need to do my own financial arrangements and still working on it. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated. Also this is a part time course and I need to know how many hours that I need to be at the university for the classes so that I can arrange my work and childcare around it. I wonder if anyone would be able to give some info about it. I contact the university but they said I need to wait till September. A bit overview would be great. And if any visual classes available if I miss any classes. I am also thinking to do some early reading but I was told that the book lost has not been published yet. Any suggestions please ? Many thanks
Congratulations on your offer!

I can't speak for your individual course but unfortunately most of the courses here only have their timetables finalised a couple of weeks before the start of term. If you are able to you could try asking the programme lead of a sample timetable from this year, which could give you an idea of required hours but the times will be different next year.

I would highly recommend contacting the finance team here at BU to discuss your options https://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/why-bu/student-life/arrivals/fees-funding-arriving-students There is a lot of help and advice available to you including discounts, bursaries, scholarships and emergency funds. They would also be able to help you work out if the course is funded as from the website the course does link to postgraduate funding options, but I understand the diploma may be different.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I wish you luck and I hope the above suggestions are helpful.

Vicki
Haroon_1994
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi, I’m going to be applying for the gdl for September and was wondering is it possible to do it full time if you focus just on the degree for that year? I’m planning on doing it at Oxford Brookes if anyone has any feedback regarding this uni? Will be much appreciated
Diabla1987
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Cograts on your offer.Part-time study should be two evenings a week, but you can always call and ask for the current timetable, it will give you an overview.I called Uni of Westminster last week asking the same question and this is what the adviser did.P.S. I’m about to apply at Uni of Westminster and London Metropolitan for part-time GDL Sept start, shame you are so far in Bournemouth.I’m a mom as well and plan to work part-time and fund the course myself :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (164)
18.49%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (89)
10.03%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (148)
16.69%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (128)
14.43%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (85)
9.58%
How can I be the best version of myself? (273)
30.78%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise