Jenx301
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hiya

Basically I have had my laptop about 3 years or so, it's a toshiba satellite if that makes any difference. The last few months or so it has been going slow, if I open multiple tabs on the internet it freezes for a few mins and takes a long time to load up. Occasionally I get a pop up saying my memory is low and do I want to switch to windows basic colour scheme. I pressed yes, but nothing has happened.

I know nothing about computers, so is this something I can fix or is it because my laptop is old and probably a bit ****!
Gaming_Hippy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
probably has a butt ton of malware on it run scans with your anti virus.
dl a malware removing software and use it like twice a month.
defragment your disk drive to speed up the computer
edit:
also remove any unused browser ad ons

older laptops tend not to last very long. hell I'm lucky if mine lasts half as long as yours has, it might be time to upgrade to a new laptop?
phoenixsilver
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jenx301)
Hiya

Basically I have had my laptop about 3 years or so, it's a toshiba satellite if that makes any difference. The last few months or so it has been going slow, if I open multiple tabs on the internet it freezes for a few mins and takes a long time to load up. Occasionally I get a pop up saying my memory is low and do I want to switch to windows basic colour scheme. I pressed yes, but nothing has happened.

I know nothing about computers, so is this something I can fix or is it because my laptop is old and probably a bit ****!
Install and run malwarebytes.
For optimum speed, move all your data off the PC onto an external drive, then reinstall windows.

Posted from TSR Mobile
username1560589
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hiya

When it says memory is low, run task manager and check whether memory is actually low. What programs are you running when you get this message.
Possibly update browsers/windows.
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gaming_Hippy)
older laptops tend not to last very long. hell I'm lucky if mine lasts half as long as yours has
It's three years old. They should last a lot longer than that.
Jenx301
Rep:
?
(Original post by morgan8002)
When it says memory is low, run task manager and check whether memory is actually low. What programs are you running when you get this message.
Possibly update browsers/windows.
Usually I only have the internet running. How do I run task manager?
Jenx301
Rep:
?
probably has a butt ton of malware on it run scans with your anti virus.
dl a malware removing software and use it like twice a month.
defragment your disk drive to speed up the computer
edit:
also remove any unused browser ad ons

older laptops tend not to last very long. hell I'm lucky if mine lasts half as long as yours has, it might be time to upgrade to a new laptop?
what is defragment and how do you do this?
Gaming_Hippy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what is defragment and how do you do this?
it basic moves files around to make more room and allow for quicker access.type defrag into your search tool on your os and then selected the drive you want cleaned up
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Usually I only have the internet running. How do I run task manager?
ctrl + shift + esc

Nothing ram heavy then.
Jenx301
Rep:
?
ctrl + shift + esc

Nothing ram heavy then.
it says
processes 72
CPU useage 13%
physical memory 82%

i went on the performance tab of task manager and it says
Physical memory (MB)
Total 1906
Cached 174
Available 313
Free 177

Kernel Memory (MB)
paged: 350
Nonpaged: 100

Does this mean anything or help lol??
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
it says
processes 72
CPU useage 13%
physical memory 82%

i went on the performance tab of task manager and it says
Physical memory (MB)
Total 1906
Cached 174
Available 313
Free 177

Kernel Memory (MB)
paged: 350
Nonpaged: 100

Does this mean anything or help lol??
Yeah you're using most of your memory. If you were to open a few more browser tabs or run something else at the same time you would run out. This is what's happening when you get the warnings. Also, when you run out of memory, it switches to paging file(memory running on your hard drive), which may be why your browsers are freezing for a few minutes(paging file is very slow in comparison to flash memory).
Jenx301
Rep:
?
Yeah you're using most of your memory. If you were to open a few more browser tabs or run something else at the same time you would run out. This is what's happening when you get the warnings. Also, when you run out of memory, it switches to paging file(memory running on your hard drive), which may be why your browsers are freezing for a few minutes(paging file is very slow in comparison to flash memory).
thanks for your advice, what should I do about this? is there anything that I can do to help my poor old laptop?
Gaming_Hippy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It's three years old. They should last a lot longer than that.
but take into account that she has stated she knows little about computers therefore it likely hasn't been internally cleaned in the 3 years?
Dancatpro
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
but take into account that she has stated she knows little about computers therefore it likely hasn't been internally cleaned in the 3 years?
She didn't know how to open task manager. We have to start from 100% baby step basics here
Gaming_Hippy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dancatpro)
She didn't know how to open task manager. We have to start from 100% baby step basics here
*mild grunt of agreement*
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
thanks for your advice, what should I do about this? is there anything that I can do to help my poor old laptop?
Reinstalling windows may also help. Short of that, have a look through your started processes. If there are any that are non-essential and you aren't using then end them. Check what the memory situation is after that.

Other than that, the only proper solutions I can think of are to install a lighter operating system or upgrade the RAM.

What operating system is it running? I have a 6 year old notebook with 2GB RAM and it runs fine on a fresh install of windows 7.
username1560589
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
True. Still, should last longer than three years.
Gaming_Hippy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
True. Still, should last longer than three years.
last, yes. function to a satisfying standard, unlikely.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (100)
60.61%
No (34)
20.61%
Not sure (31)
18.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed