The Student Room Group

Refugees complain slow internet in Netherlands and boring life

Refugees at the Ter Apel camp in the Netherlands have bemoaned the lack of comforts and entertainment facilities inside the centre, claiming they have become "bored" as a result. They also complain about Dutch food, not having a fast enough internet, breakfast and lunch being too little, welfare money not enough to buy cigarettes, and that the government of Netherlands doesn't provide satisfactory "services" for them. Ter Apel is the main centre where newly-arrived migrants must present themselves for registration.

Refugees protest in Netherlands: want more freedom, better life, more welfare money

An astonishing video, obtained by Liveleak, has emerged online showing the migrants complaining against the living conditions they currently have to endure. In the footage one unhappy migrant tells how he does not get enough food, claiming that his "breakfast is small" and he is not provided a substantial lunch either. Traditionally, Dutch cuisine is simple and straightforward, with many vegetables and little meat; breakfast and lunch are typically bread with toppings while dinner is meat and potatoes.

[video="youtube;bpzXcpxJ_IQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpzXcpxJ_IQ[/video]
Too bored, slow internet, breakfast too small, not enough money to buy cigarettes, click to hear the complaints of refugees in Netherlands

Another refugee claims those in the camp have become dissatisfied with the activities in the camp. He says: ""We feel very bored here. "You can only eat, sleep, use the slow internet - it's so bad." The refugee adds: "We asked them for language courses, but they said they don't have it now because this is an emergency camp and they are in lack of personnel." One refugee complains about how he cannot buy cigarettes because the authorities have not provided him with enough money.

Simple Dutch cuisine doesn't fit well with refugees: too small, too little

The number of refugees entering the Netherlands has reached 4,200 last week, junior justice minister Klaas Dijkhoff said. It is the largest number so far. The week before there were 3,100 refugees and the one before that 1,800. As a result, empty prisons, conference centres and other public buildings have to be turned into emergency centres to house them. Klaas says the Dutch government has already spent €870 million in one year for these refugees, and now an emergency €110 million is again to be taken out.

Already, they making troubles in the Netherlands. Police were called to a refugee centre in the village of Overburg near Utrecht to break up two large fights last week. A police spokesman said there were confrontations between different groups of asylum seekers shortly after midnight and then again in the early hours of the morning. According to RTL news, a dispute over a game of football led to the first fight between the Afghans and the Syrians. Forty police officers and four dog handlers were involved in breaking up the fights, a police spokesman told the Volkskrant. "It was a serious breach of the peace," he said.

No facilities, no good life at refugee camps: refugees complain violations of human rights

Meanwhile in Purmerend north of Amsterdam and in the Brabant town of Oudenbosch, there were demonstrations by locals about decisions to set up refugee centres there, broadcaster Nos said. In Purmerend a town council meeting had to be cancelled as dozens of locals packed into the council chamber shouting 'no azc' (asylum seekers centre). Police were called to remove them from the building.

Neighboring Germany is also facing the same issue. A mass brawl involving up to 200 refugees erupted in a German asylum seeker shelter after a young Syrian girl was allegedly threatened with a knife by a teenage Afghan boy. Violence broke out between Syrians and Afghans after tensions reached boiling point in a converted exhibition hall in Leipzig, where around 1,800 refugees have been living for the past two weeks. Refugees fought each other with bars, table legs and bed frames. Two female Red Cross workers were injured in the chaos, with one breaking a knee cap after falling as she tried to escape.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c53_1443173827

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/608358/Ter-Apel-Migrants-Refugee-Netherlands-Crisis-Croatia-Hungary-European-Union

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2015/09/4200-refugees-reach-the-netherlands-in-one-week/

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/09/26/watch-poor-migrants-complain-about-slow-internet-boredom-at-netherlands-camp/

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2015/09/police-called-to-break-up-fights-between-refugees-and-protests-by-locals/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Give them some hummus?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by HucktheForde
Refugees at the Ter Apel camp in the Netherlands have bemoaned the lack of comforts and entertainment facilities inside the centre, claiming they have become "bored" as a result. They also complain about Dutch food, not having a fast enough internet, breakfast and lunch being too little, welfare money not enough to buy cigarettes, and that the government of Netherlands doesn't provide satisfactory "services" for them. Ter Apel is the main centre where newly-arrived migrants must present themselves for registration.

Refugees protest in Netherlands: want more freedom, better life, more welfare money

An astonishing video, obtained by Liveleak, has emerged online showing the migrants complaining against the living conditions they currently have to endure. In the footage one unhappy migrant tells how he does not get enough food, claiming that his "breakfast is small" and he is not provided a substantial lunch either. Traditionally, Dutch cuisine is simple and straightforward, with many vegetables and little meat; breakfast and lunch are typically bread with toppings while dinner is meat and potatoes.

[video="youtube;bpzXcpxJ_IQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpzXcpxJ_IQ[/video]
Too bored, slow internet, breakfast too small, not enough money to buy cigarettes, click to hear the complaints of refugees in Netherlands

Another refugee claims those in the camp have become dissatisfied with the activities in the camp. He says: ""We feel very bored here. "You can only eat, sleep, use the slow internet - it's so bad." The refugee adds: "We asked them for language courses, but they said they don't have it now because this is an emergency camp and they are in lack of personnel." One refugee complains about how he cannot buy cigarettes because the authorities have not provided him with enough money.

Simple Dutch cuisine doesn't fit well with refugees: too small, too little

The number of refugees entering the Netherlands has reached 4,200 last week, junior justice minister Klaas Dijkhoff said. It is the largest number so far. The week before there were 3,100 refugees and the one before that 1,800. As a result, empty prisons, conference centres and other public buildings have to be turned into emergency centres to house them. Klaas says the Dutch government has already spent €870 million in one year for these refugees, and now an emergency €110 million is again to be taken out.

Already, they making troubles in the Netherlands. Police were called to a refugee centre in the village of Overburg near Utrecht to break up two large fights last week. A police spokesman said there were confrontations between different groups of asylum seekers shortly after midnight and then again in the early hours of the morning. According to RTL news, a dispute over a game of football led to the first fight between the Afghans and the Syrians. Forty police officers and four dog handlers were involved in breaking up the fights, a police spokesman told the Volkskrant. "It was a serious breach of the peace," he said.

No facilities, no good life at refugee camps: refugees complain violations of human rights

Meanwhile in Purmerend north of Amsterdam and in the Brabant town of Oudenbosch, there were demonstrations by locals about decisions to set up refugee centres there, broadcaster Nos said. In Purmerend a town council meeting had to be cancelled as dozens of locals packed into the council chamber shouting 'no azc' (asylum seekers centre). Police were called to remove them from the building.

Neighboring Germany is also facing the same issue. A mass brawl involving up to 200 refugees erupted in a German asylum seeker shelter after a young Syrian girl was allegedly threatened with a knife by a teenage Afghan boy. Violence broke out between Syrians and Afghans after tensions reached boiling point in a converted exhibition hall in Leipzig, where around 1,800 refugees have been living for the past two weeks. Refugees fought each other with bars, table legs and bed frames. Two female Red Cross workers were injured in the chaos, with one breaking a knee cap after falling as she tried to escape.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c53_1443173827

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/608358/Ter-Apel-Migrants-Refugee-Netherlands-Crisis-Croatia-Hungary-European-Union

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2015/09/4200-refugees-reach-the-netherlands-in-one-week/

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/09/26/watch-poor-migrants-complain-about-slow-internet-boredom-at-netherlands-camp/

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2015/09/police-called-to-break-up-fights-between-refugees-and-protests-by-locals/

I'm disgusted at this they really should deport all refugees who cause trouble, you can always pick up more refugees to replace them who are more deserving of their place at the camp.This raises suspicions that these refugees aren't refugees as they aren't behaving the way I and probably other people would expect, they are behaving like you would expect middle class and rich people to behave if you put them in the camp(maybe less on the violence part) they are acting spoilt(which is something refugees shouldn't be showing as they have lived in war like conditions and Syria is a poor country, a lot of people in developed worlds don't have breakfasts and can't afford them and I would have thought in poor countries they would have had hardly anything to eat).I am confused about the Internet situation how would they know how to use it?,surely in a poor country like Syria they can't have had many computers?Shouldn't they be getting them on work schemes now or are they just going to keep paying them to do nothing and not even adapt to the culture?
(edited 8 years ago)
Crickey...I am amazed the BBC and main media haven't shown this, them being so unbiased and without an agenda.
Lol as an Arab I would miss food too if I had to eat simple food like that. Bring on the Arabian feast :

image.jpg
Original post by Dalek1099
surely in a poor country like Syria they can't have had many computers?

Syria was not a 'poor country'. Get off your imperial high horse. :facepalm2:

The refugee adds: "We asked them for language courses..."

This is not an unreasonable request from a migrant.
(edited 8 years ago)
They should go back to the exciting life of getting blown to pieces by roadside bombs and artillery shells, then.
(edited 8 years ago)
Deport them where?

Syria? A war zone? Or the camps around? Will Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey accept that? Would syria accept them back? Somalians aren't removable because we don't recognise the legitimacy of their government. That problem is more notable in Syria right now.

When people refuse our citizens we expect them to, you know, prove they are our citizens before we accept them. Can you prove the citizenship of the tens of thousands of migrants, very few of which have real passports?

Even if you ignore the moral and ethical problems with just throwing them back you have huge legal and practical problems preventing you.
Want want want.
Original post by Llamageddon
Deport them where?

Syria? A war zone? Or the camps around? Will Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey accept that? Would syria accept them back? Somalians aren't removable because we don't recognise the legitimacy of their government. That problem is more notable in Syria right now.

When people refuse our citizens we expect them to, you know, prove they are our citizens before we accept them. Can you prove the citizenship of the tens of thousands of migrants, very few of which have real passports?

Even if you ignore the moral and ethical problems with just throwing them back you have huge legal and practical problems preventing you.

There are camps is Syria they can be sent back to

the rest can go back home or conditions can be made so awful they will want ot go back home
Pretty disgraceful to go to such demands like that, if you are a migrant you have to take what you're given especially in a time like this.

Though I would hardly call asking for a language course unreasonable, that seems to be the only beacon of hope in this article.
Original post by BaconandSauce
There are camps is Syria they can be sent back to e
can they?

Politics isn't just "I'm richer than you so I can do what I want".
I always take these posts with a pinch of salt but still, assuming this is all true, here's my viewpoint. They have NO right to complain what we offer them. They're refugees, not royalty. We provide them with shelter, food, clothing etc., the NECESSITIES TO KEEP THEM ALIVE. That means no luxuries. Tax payers arent there to cater to their every whim. If they complain so much, bring a TV to the camp, show them videos about their lovely country and say "Keep complaining and we'll happily send you back for someone more grateful being granted safety in the West". Refugees should get the necessities only and once their country has returned to stability, most of them should be returned back. The skilled ones(doctors, engineers etc.) should be offered 2 years temporary residence. If they act like law abiding citizens, they can have this extended. Thats my view. Waiting for a left wing nut to roll in vomiting screaming "Give them everything, we should be the ones in the desert suffering, it would make me feel so much better". Fin
can they?

Yes and I'm sure there are people there who wouldn't be so ungrateful for the help they are being offered

At the end of the day there is always a solution
Original post by RamocitoMorales

Is it though? If I moved to, say, Morocco, should I expect the Moroccan government to pay for me to learn Arabic?

On a more general note, anyone ungrateful enough to appreciate what the Dutch are doing for them is more than welcome to get on the first plane back to wherever they came from. Looking at those photos those people are not all from Syria...
Reply 15
can they?

plenty of space in Africa they could be sent to - could give them the gear for building a new town etc..

and the young men could be trained to fight ISIS instead of running away
Original post by queen-bee
Lol as an Arab I would miss food too if I had to eat simple food like that. Bring on the Arabian feast :

image.jpg

Then they should go to 'arabia' if that's what they want.

But Hold on that's where they are fleeing from, like your mother, so it wouldn't work would it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RamocitoMorales
Syria was not a 'poor country'. Get off your imperial high horse. :facepalm2:

What planet are you living on?, they have a ranking of 136/198 for GDP per Capita(PPP)(5,100 dollars), the Gini Index is 55.8 so high inequality so the country is really much poor than it seems at least to the people.

I'm still absolutely shocked and simply can't explain what is happening here they are living a western lifestyle(admittedly a poor one) and yet they are wanting more they are pretty much wanting the full western lifestyle(and not expecting to put any work in either) and they have just came from war torn poor Syria it makes little sense many of them won't have got that much food even before the war, yes Syria isn't as poor as some African countries its still very poor.The first thing you would describe the migrants as is 'spoilt' but the question still remaining is how?, thats the exact opposite of what you would expect people to be after living Syria.
(edited 8 years ago)
Slow internet.. wtf? That's like the biggest 1st world problem ever but aren't they supposed to be fleeing hell?
Original post by ModYom
plenty of space in Africa they could be sent to - could give them the gear for building a new town etc..

and the young men could be trained to fight ISIS instead of running away
do we own this space in Africa?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending