The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

International Withdrawl

So i posted about this already, but have not particularly found a definite answer.

This is the first week of Uni, and im not enjoying it. I know it is just the first week, but even during freshers it was the worst week ever. I am completely homesick and it is taking over me - I am not friendly with my flatmates due to some disagreements about loud noises at night and smoking inside. Im not one to go out all the time as i think that clubbing can get a bit boring every now and then since you just do the same thing every time, plus i do not like to drink a lot anyways.

I am an international student (my family is 7 hours away by plane) and i did come here with 2 friends, however because they are originally from the uk they have settled in and are loving the lifestyle. But because i am finding it so hard and am completely depressed i feel like i may be isolating myself - i totally understand who wants to hang out with someone that is always depressing to be around and will be a party pooper on a night out.

Needless to say i havent made any new friends either, so if im not pissing off my old friends im sitting in my room alone wondering whether or not i made the right decision in coming to uni. Im not sure whether i have picked the right course, but i do know that if i was to switch i would have to go to another university anyways, due to the fact that this one doesnt offer it - which would be terrifying considering the fact that i am finding it so difficult and i came here already knowing 2 people.

I heard there was a withdrawal period, in which a student can cancel their time at the University, while still getting back their tuition fees, im not sure if this will apply to international students, but if someone can offer any assistance that would be amazing. Im not set on leaving, but am definitely thinking about it, due to the fact that if i dont consider it now then i may not be able to without loosing the expensive international fees....
Reply 1
Original post by Jesskaitlyn
So i posted about this already, but have not particularly found a definite answer.

This is the first week of Uni, and im not enjoying it. I know it is just the first week, but even during freshers it was the worst week ever. I am completely homesick and it is taking over me - I am not friendly with my flatmates due to some disagreements about loud noises at night and smoking inside. Im not one to go out all the time as i think that clubbing can get a bit boring every now and then since you just do the same thing every time, plus i do not like to drink a lot anyways.

I am an international student (my family is 7 hours away by plane) and i did come here with 2 friends, however because they are originally from the uk they have settled in and are loving the lifestyle. But because i am finding it so hard and am completely depressed i feel like i may be isolating myself - i totally understand who wants to hang out with someone that is always depressing to be around and will be a party pooper on a night out.

Needless to say i havent made any new friends either, so if im not pissing off my old friends im sitting in my room alone wondering whether or not i made the right decision in coming to uni. Im not sure whether i have picked the right course, but i do know that if i was to switch i would have to go to another university anyways, due to the fact that this one doesnt offer it - which would be terrifying considering the fact that i am finding it so difficult and i came here already knowing 2 people.

I heard there was a withdrawal period, in which a student can cancel their time at the University, while still getting back their tuition fees, im not sure if this will apply to international students, but if someone can offer any assistance that would be amazing. Im not set on leaving, but am definitely thinking about it, due to the fact that if i dont consider it now then i may not be able to without loosing the expensive international fees....

If it helps:
1. You're going to be homesick sometime wherever you go. Presumably you're not going to live with your parents all your life. It's a big shock first time, and that's probably leaving you very sad to start with.
2. Loud noises at night and smoking are pretty irritating, but it's not worth destroying your university career over. Other people are frequently annoying, but you're not really making an effort. I'd suggest you get over being annoyed with them, apologise and restart that relationship. People want to be friendly and a lack of consideration isn't the end of the world.
3. Late nights, drinking and clubbing are not the only things on offer. Even if they were, the fact that they're repetitive, brainless, pointless and possibly not that healthy doesn't matter. What matters is that those are the bonding processes by which people make friends at uni. It's easy to only consider the academic aspects of uni, but learning to be outgoing and social is equally important. Everyone else knows that going out is vacuous, but uni is a vital step in your social development for the rest of your life.
Liverpool
Reply 2
Original post by T.L
If it helps:
1. You're going to be homesick sometime wherever you go. Presumably you're not going to live with your parents all your life. It's a big shock first time, and that's probably leaving you very sad to start with.
2. Loud noises at night and smoking are pretty irritating, but it's not worth destroying your university career over. Other people are frequently annoying, but you're not really making an effort. I'd suggest you get over being annoyed with them, apologise and restart that relationship. People want to be friendly and a lack of consideration isn't the end of the world.
3. Late nights, drinking and clubbing are not the only things on offer. Even if they were, the fact that they're repetitive, brainless, pointless and possibly not that healthy doesn't matter. What matters is that those are the bonding processes by which people make friends at uni. It's easy to only consider the academic aspects of uni, but learning to be outgoing and social is equally important. Everyone else knows that going out is vacuous, but uni is a vital step in your social development for the rest of your life.

I get what youre saying - i know i need to learn to become independent and all and i guess this will basically push me to do so. i just wish it wasnt so hard and depressing to get there.
also i think it worded it wrongly, my flatmates and i arent on bad terms, i may not like what they do but i havent said anything to them that would be distasteful - i have said something about the smoking, but nothing about the loud noises as i know that this will come with uni regardless of where i am. I will see them every once and a while and when i do we do talk . however we all just stay in our rooms and get on with whatever we do.
but regardless, this isnt all that is making me unhappy, i am questioning everything about whether this is right for me - the lifestyle, the timings, the course, the place, me...
i just really need to think about it all, but want to know how much time i have to fully decide (the withdrawal date) and to be honest, i am pretty sure im going to end up just staying and pushing through juts because what else would i do?
Reply 3
Original post by Jesskaitlyn
I get what youre saying - i know i need to learn to become independent and all and i guess this will basically push me to do so. i just wish it wasnt so hard and depressing to get there.
also i think it worded it wrongly, my flatmates and i arent on bad terms, i may not like what they do but i havent said anything to them that would be distasteful - i have said something about the smoking, but nothing about the loud noises as i know that this will come with uni regardless of where i am. I will see them every once and a while and when i do we do talk . however we all just stay in our rooms and get on with whatever we do.
but regardless, this isnt all that is making me unhappy, i am questioning everything about whether this is right for me - the lifestyle, the timings, the course, the place, me...
i just really need to think about it all, but want to know how much time i have to fully decide (the withdrawal date) and to be honest, i am pretty sure im going to end up just staying and pushing through juts because what else would i do?

Where are you studying? You've put a lot of effort into getting where you are now, it sounds like you're having a major crisis of confidence. Question whether that's the mood to make important decisions in. The fees are a lot of money, but much less important than making a major life decision. If you make the wrong choice about uni, you'll regret it long after you've paid the fees off. Take your time. There are bound to be good friends you'll meet - just look at the probability and the sheer numbers. If you have particular worries or whatever, feel free to email or PM or whatever.
Reply 4
Original post by T.L
Where are you studying? You've put a lot of effort into getting where you are now, it sounds like you're having a major crisis of confidence. Question whether that's the mood to make important decisions in. The fees are a lot of money, but much less important than making a major life decision. If you make the wrong choice about uni, you'll regret it long after you've paid the fees off. Take your time. There are bound to be good friends you'll meet - just look at the probability and the sheer numbers. If you have particular worries or whatever, feel free to email or PM or whatever.

Im studying at LJMU. I know ive put a lot of effort into getting here and all, but im wondering if that was because in my school it was expected that you went to University, and everyone would be really surprised if you decided against it/to take a gap year. But like you said, im not in the most confident person and due to my feelings i think i may be making up more reasons why i should not stay (regardless of if they are true or not). I know it sounds silly, but i almost feel like i should feel like this because i miss my old life so much and that if i try and have fun it truly means that it is over - weird way to put it but thats how i feel i guess.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending