Hangover Without Alcohol? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey.

Lately I've been having a weird problem when i wake up, and sometimes throughout the day.

You know when you wake up after a heavy night of drinking and you have a horrible taste in your mouth which is almost making your sick, your stomach doesn't feel all that great, and then when you sit up and get out of bed... you're a bit off balance and light headed and maybe even a little dizzy because you're still a tad drunk from the night before?

Well recently I've been getting all of these symptoms everytime I wake up, without fail... but I don't drink anymore and haven't done for the past 2 months.

These symptoms are recent and only started within the past fortnight, but they're beginning to worry me.

They are prominent in the morning, but disappear around 10 minutes after waking up. But at some points during the day(usually when i'm sitting at the computer) I can get small headaches and dizzyness/light headedness similar to those that i get when i wake up.

Have anyone ever experienced this or can form some loose diagnosis from my description?

I should mention that over the fortnight my sleeping pattern has been a mess, but that's because I'm an unemployed gap year student and i'm finding it hard to keep a regular routine atm. But perhaps these symptoms are a result of that. I've been trying to get into a normal routine lately, but for some reason have been feeling really really tired after 8/9 hours of being awake and need to take nap after that. Which I've never really been like before.

Another thing I might think is that maybe the headaches/off balanceness is caused by my music? I listen to music everyday via my in-ear earphones and also while I'm at the computer through my surround sound! Perhaps this is affecting my ears and therefore my balance? But wouldn't explain the bad breath/upset stomach.

And my final possiblity is that VDU of my computer? I have had migraines from computer screens before, but that only ever happened with CTR screens, and this one is an LCD and i've had it for about 2 years and never had a problem with it before. But perhaps this is causing the headaches/off balance? But again, that wouldn't account for the other symptoms i've described!

Please give me any help you can! And don't post just to tell me to go see a GP, I'm aware that I could do this, and telling me to isn't helping.

Thanks!
shewantstobeme
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Are you drinking enough water?

Wikipedia has symptoms which seem to match what you're describing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehydra..._and_prognosis

And I presume that once you wake up you drink and eat, which relieves the symptoms for a while. You can experience symptoms of dehydration after losing just 2% of water, so you may not be drinking enough.

Your irregular lifestyle could be adding to the headaches and discomfort you feel.
You could try to lead a bit more of an active lifestyle so you are improving your circulation. Maybe go cycling, or walking during the day - you can still listen to your music that way That'll give you a better wellbeing, but remember to drink the water if you exercise!

Obviously I have no idea if you are dehydrated, but water is really good for you anyway, so drink lots of it :-D
Mush
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by legotraintrack)
Are you drinking enough water?

Wikipedia has symptoms which seem to match what you're describing:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehydra..._and_prognosis

And I presume that once you wake up you drink and eat, which relieves the symptoms for a while. You can experience symptoms of dehydration after losing just 2% of water, so you may not be drinking enough.

Your irregular lifestyle could be adding to the headaches and discomfort you feel.
You could try to lead a bit more of an active lifestyle so you are improving your circulation. Maybe go cycling, or walking during the day - you can still listen to your music that way That'll give you a better wellbeing, but remember to drink the water if you exercise!

Obviously I have no idea if you are dehydrated, but water is really good for you anyway, so drink lots of it :-D
Yeah I first thought dehydration was the root of my problems when the symptoms first started. So over the past few days i've been drinking like a fish to see if it helps, so far nothing. But hopefully it'll clear over time.

Thanks for the reply!
MissHero
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Get your blood pressure checked - feeling dizzy and light headed can often be a symptom of low blood pressure. Another thing could be to make sure you're eating a balanced diet and are not deficient in any vitamins or minerals.
Seoid
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You could be anaemic (lacking in iron) or maybe the room is too hot while you sleep. I sometimes get what you're describing and usually it's because the room is too hot, but the dizziness during the day could be due to lack of iron or something other nutrient. I'd say go to the doctor and get a quick blood level test, this'll let you know whether you're anaemic or not.
bisous
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
don't post just to tell me to go see a GP, I'm aware that I could do this, and telling me to isn't helping.
Why haven't you seen one though? A professional seeing you face to face could help you more than a bunch of people on the internet, after all. Telling you to see one maybe isn't helping ... but you actually seeing one is.
Mush
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hmm. Well thanks for the responses. I very much doubt I'm anaemic because i have quite a large intake of red meat which is rich in iron. I do get a balanced diet(maybe not enough fruit/veg but apart from that i eat evenly from the food groups).

The room temperature thing is a valid point, my room has been quite warm lately, i'll try sleeping with the radiator off/my fan on/the window open tonight and see if it makes any difference.

About the blood pressure thing, if you read above someone posted and apparently the low blood pressure can be a symptom of dehydration, so i'll up my intake of water over the next few days and see if that amounts to any progress.
Mush
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by moniker)
Why haven't you seen one though? A professional seeing you face to face could help you more than a bunch of people on the internet, after all. Telling you to see one maybe isn't helping ... but you actually seeing one is.
Because I'm a guy. And we're naturally reluctant to go to doctor's for things like this =P.
bisous
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mush)
Because I'm a guy. And we're naturally reluctant to go to doctor's for things like this =P.
LOL classic
McGJunior88
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mush)
Hmm. Well thanks for the responses. I very much doubt I'm anaemic because i have quite a large intake of red meat which is rich in iron. I do get a balanced diet(maybe not enough fruit/veg but apart from that i eat evenly from the food groups).
You don't have to be iron-deficient to be anaemic, you know. If you think this might be the problem, get it checked, it's not the hardest thing to get sorted, and by the sounds of things it's affecting you pretty much all the time.
space hopper
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mush)
Just go to the doctors, nobody has to know you've been!! This is obviously worrying you and if you go to a doctor they will be able to tell u what is causing it and hopefully solve it. You could ring NHS direct, but they will probably tell u to see a doctor as its not obvious what it is...
Bubblysmiler200
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi u are describing a yeast infectiom in ur gut i k ow ad i have exact same symptoms and just been diagnosed at doctors
PhilPreston
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
So what was the treatment for the yeast infection? Did the doctor do any test on you to confirm it was yeast infection?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.68%
No (216)
94.32%

Watched Threads