Chlo316
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Looking for some good french books to read alongside doing A2. Got an A in AS and would really like to keep it up at the end of year 13, anyone know and good books in French where the language is at A Level standard?
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chlo316)
Looking for some good french books to read alongside doing A2. Got an A in AS and would really like to keep it up at the end of year 13, anyone know and good books in French where the language is at A Level standard?
Just read stuff you would be interested in! Any modern literature should be alright and not too much of a struggle. What sort of genres do you like?
Chlo316
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paralove)
Just read stuff you would be interested in! Any modern literature should be alright and not too much of a struggle. What sort of genres do you like?
Thanks! I'm mostly into real life drama type books, I've already read kiffe kiffe demain and no et moi which I loved
Paralove
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks! I'm mostly into real life drama type books, I've already read kiffe kiffe demain and no et moi which I loved
Hmm... I'm not overly sure what to suggest but I read Bonjour Tristesse and Ne t'en fais, je vais bien both of which were pretty good. If you like crime/thriller kind of ones then anything by Brigitte Aubert is great, probably one of my favourite authors across my languages!
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Try these:

Antéchrista by Amélie Nothomb
Monsieur Ibrahim et les fleurs du Koran by Eric-Emmanuel Schmitt
La femme sans sépulture by Assia Djebar
L'enfant de sable by Tahar Ben Jelloun

And, a bit older but real-life drama:

Anna et son orchestre and Un sac de billes by Joseph Joffo
CleverGirl383
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I read the Harry Potter books in French and these are a real good provider of vocab, structures and idiom - perfect to put into essays. I'd advise you to start off with reading such a book, especially one you already know well, because you'll gain a deeper insight into the differences between the two languages English and French, you'll understand how things are expressed differently.

Good luck!
Chlo316
Rep:
?
Thank you all for the recommendations!
Actaeon
Badges: 11
Report 5 years ago
I'd recommend the Penguin Parallel Text series - they're collections of short stories, so nothing too heavy. You also get the French text on the left hand page, and the corresponding English translation on the right hand page. I find it really handy because you can follow the story without having to search through a dictionary every couple of sentences, yet you don't have to look at the translation unless you need to
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.52%
I'm not sure (56)
4.62%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (355)
29.29%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (590)
48.68%

Watched Threads