Megan_101
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm resetting my English language gcse in November as I only got a C the first time around. As my coursework is only a grade D (due to the appalling standards of my old school), I need to obtain at least a grade A in my exam to get a B overall. How would I go about doing this?any advice or tips on how to do really well in the exam? The book is Of Mice and Men by the way.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Megan_101)
I'm resetting my English language gcse in November as I only got a C the first time around. As my coursework is only a grade D (due to the appalling standards of my old school), I need to obtain at least a grade A in my exam to get a B overall. How would I go about doing this?any advice or tips on how to do really well in the exam? The book is Of Mice and Men by the way.
I got an A* in my oMaM exam for English Lang. Edexcel so I'd listen (the full marks in the coursework also contributed to the A* overall). PEEPRZ (I know you hate PEE and PEA and PEAR and PEEL and PEARL; but PEEPRZ is different I promise.
P - point, this must be generic. Not: George is seen as good. More like: Steinbeck presents the character of George as a righteous figure in Of Mice and Men.
E - Evidence, an embedded quote. Not: like when he says: 'XYZ'. More like:This is particularly evident in George's rant about "Beans with Ketchup",
E,P - Explain Phrase, what does it mean, why is it significant, why have you chosen it. Not: this shows that George doesn't like ketchup. More like: this is Steinbeck demonstrating that George is tired of looking after Lennie for so long and thus the strain on the character psychologically is beginning to show in section one of the novella.
R - Response, why did our pal John do it, and what will the reader think? Not: John did this to make us feel sorry for Lennie. More like: the author may have done this to foreshadow the danger that Lennie will always become involved in as ketchup bears a scarlet colour (symbolic of danger throughout the story). This shows how Lennie and George are safe in the brush despite the fact that Lennie is killed here at the end of the novella. Furthermore, Steinbeck uses this symbol to represent the relationship between George and Lennie, Lennie always wants the beans with ketchup, for him as a character to always have a close relationship with George whereas George would prefer his life without the danger of Lennie. Ultimately, the brush is alluded to by John Steinbeck as the safe haven due to the lack of Ketchup.
Z - Zoom, make sure you select a word from your quote. I've chosen Ketchup here and I'd probably use a bigger quote like "I like my beans with ketchup" before zooming

That's a whole A* paragraph on "Beans with ketchup:

Steinbeck presents the character of George as a righteous figure in Of Mice and Men. This is particularly evident in George's rant about "Beans with Ketchup"; this is Steinbeck demonstrating that George is tired of looking after Lennie for so long and thus the strain on the character psychologically is beginning to show in section one of the novella. The author may have done this to foreshadow the danger that Lennie will always become involved in as ketchup bears a scarlet colour (symbolic of danger throughout the story). This shows how Lennie and George are safe in the brush despite the fact that Lennie is killed here at the end of the novella. Furthermore, Steinbeck uses this symbol to represent the relationship between George and Lennie, Lennie always wants the beans with ketchup, for him as a character to always have a close relationship with George whereas George would prefer his life without the danger of Lennie. Ultimately, the brush is alluded to by John Steinbeck as the safe haven due to the lack of Ketchup.

I would also have stopped using 'this is' at the start of every section and my next point would be about the brush as linked to at the end of my paragraph. That help?
a_azam
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I would say that study hard and get extra help from any great tutor. You don't have much time left in your exams so i believe you need to go through Past papers and marking schemes and get your concepts right. In this short time only a good teacher can help you out. I had the same issues as you do, and ultimately got an A* in GCSE English language.

I've in boxed you a very good link which i used for this purpose! Hope that helps
bluesunboy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
can you please send me the link as well thx
ARK_REVISES
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by a_azam)
I would say that study hard and get extra help from any great tutor. You don't have much time left in your exams so i believe you need to go through Past papers and marking schemes and get your concepts right. In this short time only a good teacher can help you out. I had the same issues as you do, and ultimately got an A* in GCSE English language.

I've in boxed you a very good link which i used for this purpose! Hope that helps
give me one too plz
happy daisy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I hope you will pass it.
Tutortap
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi Megan,

Sometimes the best way to learn is by talking to someone one-to-one that has recently experienced the exams you are taking.

On TutorTap, there are English tutors ready to help online who can take you through your course at a pace you feel comfortable with.

Message me if you would like any guidance on choosing the right tutor for you.

Good luck with your studies.
James
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.38%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.16%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (44)
18.03%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.34%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.82%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.26%

Watched Threads