Being summoned to court for speeding Watch

jamesthecarpet
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Good bloke)
You haven't driven on the motorway much, have you? No car on the motorway needs to double its speed in order to overtake - there is never a risk of meeting oncoming traffic and you have all the time in the world. And a car travelling at 76mph would have just overtaken one travelling at 40mph. Perhaps they were racing, in which case the hole gets deeper.
I never said a car would 'need' to speed up by that much to overtake, I was disagreeing with Alexion's reply where he said "you wouldn't have sped up by 36mph to overtake". Whether he needed to or not, he still technically could have.

That being said, this is a completely reasonable scenario, and it's why I asked which motorway op was driving on. Motorways undergoing a lot of work at the moment, the M3 for instance, have much lower imposed speed limits for certain sections. Late at night, or when it's not so busy, cars often ignore the newer speed limits and revert back to motorway mentality. At this point, a driver could very well be overtaking at a highly inappropriate speed if driver's around him are doing the same thing.

I was pretty clearly said that I thought op was still in the wrong regardless and his only recourse was to apologise
shaymarriott
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by jamesthecarpet)
I never said a car would 'need' to speed up by that much to overtake, I was disagreeing with Alexion's reply where he said "you wouldn't have sped up by 36mph to overtake". Whether he needed to or not, he still technically could have.

That being said, this is a completely reasonable scenario, and it's why I asked which motorway op was driving on. Motorways undergoing a lot of work at the moment, the M3 for instance, have much lower imposed speed limits for certain sections. Late at night, or when it's not so busy, cars often ignore the newer speed limits and revert back to motorway mentality. At this point, a driver could very well be overtaking at a highly inappropriate speed if driver's around him are doing the same thing.

I was pretty clearly said that I thought op was still in the wrong regardless and his only recourse was to apologise
An ordinary car (not particularly powerful or fast) would need a while to get from 40 to 76.

To overtake at this speed would either require an unusual amount of forethought in speeding up to go past, or the driver to keep accelerating long after they're past the driver they're overtaking.

So actually probably not very feasible, no.
CAElite
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Be apologetic. Do NOT plead lack of attention as this can make it worse for you. Make sure the court knows you know you where in the wrong. If you want to hire a decent solicitor he/she might be able to find you a mitigating circumstance but dont try to argue one on your own. Best case your getting 4-6 points and a few hundred quid. Potentially a 2week to 2 month ban. Worst case up to £2500 fine (it is based on yearly income), 6 points and up to 120 day ban. My pal only got 30 day ban for 130 in a 70 and 6 points but they where aparently lenient since it was an empty 3 lane motorway (M80) at 2am.

Dont beat yourself up, variable limit motorways are dumb as hell but just remember to look out for cameras next time. .
ni98m
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can you please update on what happened? This happened to me today and I’m so worried about the consequences
claret_n_blue
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ni98m)
Can you please update on what happened? This happened to me today and I’m so worried about the consequences
Hey mate.

It was nothing terrible in the end. I admitted guilt, but was still called into the courtroom. Once there, I admitted guilt. I had a clean driving licence, nothing wrong. The judge didn't understand why I was there. I got 6 points and a fine of like £250 or something, I can't remember.

You basically have two choices:

1) If you have been speeding but still under a threshold (can't remember exactly what it is), you can do a speed awareness course.
2) If you have been going higher then you have this thing like I did.

Assuming you too have a clean driving history, at most you will get points and a fine. Just make sure you're genuine (if you do get called in) about being apologetic. Don't be aggressive, dress smartly (it's still court!), speak properly and so don't give them any reason to think you are a bad egg. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (150)
17.71%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (75)
8.85%
No I am happy with my course choice (501)
59.15%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (121)
14.29%

Watched Threads