The Student Room Group

Official OCR A2 Psychology Thread 2015-2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ellena_G
I'm really struggling with learning every single study and all the details. I know the outline but not like the sample or anything. How can I learn them?? Is anyone else having the problem??

I think we all are on this thread :h: Cue cards maybe?

Original post by shannolivia
Hey everyone,

I'm also doing OCR A2 Psychology and finding it hard to revise everything after how differently we were taught last year! Has anyone got any tips or advice?

Thank-you in advance. :smile:

Hello! :h: Yeah last year was soooo much easier looking back! I think nearly all of us are having the same problem though :frown:

Original post by mimojemimo
Hi Guys,
I'll introduce myself too...
AS Grade: A
Predicted A2 Grade: A
Topics Studied: Forensic Psychology and Health & Clinic Psychology.
Thoughts so far: I love learning more theory as opposed to learning 15 studies in immense detail but I can see the sheer number of studies we have to know this year will kill me:s-smilie:

I use an app on my phone called Flashcards and it's sooo good when it comes to learning the little details from the studies. Takes a while to set up but it's worth it!

That app sounds good, I'll have to download it and give it a try! :h: Yeah the theory is definitely more interesting ~ reminds me of AQA to be honest.
If anyone wants a good app for learning flashcards download 'Brainscape', I was even able o get it on my laptop. You can pick A2 psychology and test yourself, and every so often a card pops up out of the blue for you to answer on the spot, it's great!
Yup, Psychology is going to be the reason I don't get into Cardiff... bye-bye dream University... :cry2:
Original post by emiloujess
Yup, Psychology is going to be the reason I don't get into Cardiff... bye-bye dream University... :cry2:

Don't lose faith, you gotta believe in yourself :yes: :h:
Can anyone decipher Geer & Maisel??? The procedure mainly??? (Causes of stress, Lack of Control)
Anyone? :frown:
Original post by Kamara7
Can anyone decipher Geer & Maisel??? The procedure mainly??? (Causes of stress, Lack of Control)

if you havent found it already,
Each participant was seated in a sound-shielded room and wired up to galvanic skin response (GSR) and heart-rate monitors. The machine calibrated for 5 minutes while the participant relaxed and then a baseline measure was taken. The instructions were then read over the intercom and after 1 minutes the remaining stimuli were presented.The GSR analyses were taken at the onset of the tone, during the second half of the tone and in response to the photograph shown.Group One were given actual control over how long they saw each photograph for as they could press a button to terminate the photograph for a maximum of 35 seconds and were told that a tone would proceed each photograph.Group Two (the predictability group) were linked to the group with actual control:They saw the photos for exactly the same time as group one, but they were warned that the photos were 60 seconds apart and told about how long they would see each photo for. They were also told that a 10 second warning tone would precede each photograph. They had no control but knew what would happen. Group Three were also linked to the group with actual control, but were told that that from time to time they would see photographs and hear tones. This group had no control and no predictabilityfrom http://psychyogi.org/geer-and-maisel-1972-lack-of-control/#sthash.i8tE3qZM.dpuf
AS Grade: B
Predicted A2 Grade: A
Topics Studied: Forensic and Health & Clinincal.
Thoughts so far: I don't really have any thoughts. I'm just going for it this year so when we were told about the 13+6 marker for the other exam I couldn't care less. All I want out of psychology is the grade, I hardly care about the content as I'm not going to study it in later life.

I have a mock next week where we get 3 questions (3 10 markers and 3 15 markers). 1 from each of the forensic booklets weve covered, turning to crime, making a case and reaching a verdict (we haven't moved onto health and clinical yet). Is it just me or is it hard to remember the most recent subsection? I'm fine with remembering turning to crime but I struggle a lot with reaching a verdict, especially the individual bullet points and names and things like that.
So I'm also studying Health, Clinical and Forensic and am really struggling this year. I've gone from A grades to E and I'm not sure if it's just because my teacher has been off a lot and I was ill at the start of the year. If you have any advice, it would be great! I'm also struggling with the remembering of studies but am enjoying learning more theory this year.
Original post by katiealv
if you havent found it already,
Each participant was seated in a sound-shielded room and wired up to galvanic skin response (GSR) and heart-rate monitors. The machine calibrated for 5 minutes while the participant relaxed and then a baseline measure was taken. The instructions were then read over the intercom and after 1 minutes the remaining stimuli were presented.The GSR analyses were taken at the onset of the tone, during the second half of the tone and in response to the photograph shown.Group One were given actual control over how long they saw each photograph for as they could press a button to terminate the photograph for a maximum of 35 seconds and were told that a tone would proceed each photograph.Group Two (the predictability group) were linked to the group with actual control:They saw the photos for exactly the same time as group one, but they were warned that the photos were 60 seconds apart and told about how long they would see each photo for. They were also told that a 10 second warning tone would precede each photograph. They had no control but knew what would happen. Group Three were also linked to the group with actual control, but were told that that from time to time they would see photographs and hear tones. This group had no control and no predictabilityfrom http://psychyogi.org/geer-and-maisel-1972-lack-of-control/#sthash.i8tE3qZM.dpuf

Thanks :smile: The only bit which I don't get is when my book says the participants in Group 2 and 3 were "yoked" to those in Group 1. Why are they described as yoked?? :confused:
Does anyone have any techniques for revision of G543 forensic (turning to crime, making a case and moreso reaching a verdict). I have my mock on Thursday morning.
Original post by CarefreeZoe
So I'm also studying Health, Clinical and Forensic and am really struggling this year. I've gone from A grades to E and I'm not sure if it's just because my teacher has been off a lot and I was ill at the start of the year. If you have any advice, it would be great! I'm also struggling with the remembering of studies but am enjoying learning more theory this year.

Hi there! I am in the same sticky situation as you, I'm having loads of trouble trying to remember them all, and how to set out essays! I have to redo my AS exam as well which is a bummer XD
I've started doing something to help though recently, I don't know if it will help but I am learning by making cue cards with the whole studies on them just reading through them each day in my study periods if I have time then ask my friend to quiz me on them! I think trying to mentally remember all of the studies and to categorize them in your head helps too - so after you look and flick through all the studies, just sit and try to remember them as you won't have any notes in the exam with you
Hope that helps! Haha :smile:
Original post by Craig1998
Does anyone have any techniques for revision of G543 forensic (turning to crime, making a case and moreso reaching a verdict). I have my mock on Thursday morning.

I had my mock this afternoon and it was alright. Some of the part b's were quite difficult! However, I revised by doing loads of practise questions and writing out all the studies, and then trying to summarise them onto flash cards! Also testing with key points of the studies with my friends really helped.

Best of luck for your mock!
Hi guys!
I'm getting to grips with knowing the topic and study content, but I'm awful at remembering the psychologists! Does anyone know how important it is you state who conducted the study in the exam?? And does anyone have any tips for remembering all the names in relation to their studies??
Original post by Kamara7
Thanks :smile: The only bit which I don't get is when my book says the participants in Group 2 and 3 were "yoked" to those in Group 1. Why are they described as yoked?? :confused:

The yoke is what pilots use to control a plane - it basically means group 1 controlled everything.
Original post by _Sinnie_
The yoke is what pilots use to control a plane - it basically means group 1 controlled everything.

So does it mean that the times the participants got in group 1 determined the times that group 2 and 3 saw the photos for? If so, where does the 60 seconds come in for group 2?? I really don't get it :bawling:
Original post by hannah_frost
Hi guys!
I'm getting to grips with knowing the topic and study content, but I'm awful at remembering the psychologists! Does anyone know how important it is you state who conducted the study in the exam?? And does anyone have any tips for remembering all the names in relation to their studies??

My teacher says it's not that essential, if we really can't remember, we can just say "one piece of research investigated..." But I make summary sheets with details of the study with their names of the from in big, so looking over these as I go through my folder kind of engraves them in my brain a bit, but the cognition part of turning to crime isn't sticking in my brain as well as other sections though!
Original post by Kamara7
My teacher says it's not that essential, if we really can't remember, we can just say "one piece of research investigated..." But I make summary sheets with details of the study with their names of the from in big, so looking over these as I go through my folder kind of engraves them in my brain a bit, but the cognition part of turning to crime isn't sticking in my brain as well as other sections though!

Thank god it's not essential!! Good idea with the summary sheets, I'll have to try that. I find some topics I know really well and others I just can't remember no matter how much I go over them :')
How far has everyone gotten? I want to cry. Is it bad that I uncontrollably laugh and tears come out of my eyes when I look at sheets in my psychology folder?
Got an A on my psychology mock, and my teacher has predicted me an A for the end of the year. Most people in my class didn't do that well because there were timing issues (we had to do 6 essays, 3 part a's and 3 part b's) and most people only got to do 4 essays or so. The average mark for my part a's was just over 8 (didn't help that I forgot the John Duffy case study), and the average for part b's was 11.

Original post by Kamara7
How far has everyone gotten? I want to cry. Is it bad that I uncontrollably laugh and tears come out of my eyes when I look at sheets in my psychology folder?

I've finished forensic and part a of the G544 exam (the planning question and the subsequent evaluative questions). Now started on disorders in health and finished the characteristics of disorders and almost finished with the explanations of a disorder (just got to do evaluations).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending