The Student Room Group

Official OCR A2 Psychology Thread 2015-2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zanscape
I cant give a model answer but here's my advice:

Read the question: they want you to evaluate the treatments/techniques, not the studies, however one of your points could be that the treatments are all supported by valid research (or another evaluation of the studies, but talk about all three, and also criticise the studies as a counter-argument)

Another point you could write about is the real life application of the treatments: All three of them have high potential for real life application. Stress Inoculation Therapy teaches patients cognitive skills to help them cope with stress, and once they know it, they can apply it to any situation and it can potentially be a skill they use for the rest of their life. It's the same with Biofeedback, they learn relaxation techniques through listening to the biofeedback machine and learning how to calm themselves down. they can potentially use these techniques for the rest of their life (however, Budzynski et al was a snapshot study so technically no research backs this, although it is likely). And while social support isn't a therapy, it will (hopefully) be accessible to the patient for the rest of their life: whenever they feel stressed, they can contact a friend.

Then you could say that a problem with SIT (8 therapy sessions) and Biofeedback (16 training sessions) is that both are expensive and time consuming - they are actual therapies. whereas, social support is completely free and accessible to all.

Then make a conclusion about which you think is best.

I hope this helps - but this is just how I would go about answering the question,I am not an A* student so don't take my word for it!

sorry - i got something wrong here - with Budzynskis study - although it was a snapshot study, there was a 'Follow-up with group A 18 months later: 3reported very low headache activity, 1 reported some reduction'
sorry - i got something wrong here - with Budzynskis study - although it was a snapshot study, there was a 'Follow-up with group A 18 months later: 3reported very low headache activity, 1 reported some reduction'

Cheers mate, ill have a go at answering it.

How you finding g543? I don't think I'm gonna be able to learn all the studies in such depth to remember specific samples as it takes so long to do, unlikely to come up an when they do will only get you 1 or 2 marks extra anyway! Really wish I could learn everything but just don't think its possible
Original post by eyeman567
Cheers mate, ill have a go at answering it.

How you finding g543? I don't think I'm gonna be able to learn all the studies in such depth to remember specific samples as it takes so long to do, unlikely to come up an when they do will only get you 1 or 2 marks extra anyway! Really wish I could learn everything but just don't think its possible

omg its so overwhelming, but I think Im getting there, slowly but surely. I still dont know the names of studies, but i know the content of most of them, not details such as sample yet. but unless the question asks for an outline of research, that level of detail isnt as important as knowing the results, so even if i forget, i should be able to write a decent answer. but obviously i do aim to learn all the detail, fingers crossed!
Hey guys what structure are you using for part B questions and should it be the same structure for both forensic and health? My teachers have told me different things and idk.
I'm currently using:
Intro, POINT, COMMENT, EXAMPLE, POINT COMMENT EXAMPLE, CONCLUSION.
But not sure if that's right and if it should be similarity or something. So confused

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by starlett53
Hey guys what structure are you using for part B questions and should it be the same structure for both forensic and health? My teachers have told me different things and idk.
I'm currently using:
Intro, POINT, COMMENT, EXAMPLE, POINT COMMENT EXAMPLE, CONCLUSION.
But not sure if that's right and if it should be similarity or something. So confused

Posted from TSR Mobile

our teacher gave us a sheet which says that for each paragraph, it should go
Point, elaboration, evidence, evaluative comment, counter-argument, comment
she also said we should aim to have 3-4 points
and then conclusion at the end, but she did say no introduction is necessary
and it should be the same structure for forensic and clinical
hope this helps
our teacher gave us a sheet which says that for each paragraph, it should go
Point, elaboration, evidence, evaluative comment, counter-argument, comment
she also said we should aim to have 3-4 points
and then conclusion at the end, but she did say no introduction is necessary
and it should be the same structure for forensic and clinical
hope this helps

Is a conclusion essential? My teacher said its not as important as writing 3/4 points. I struggle to manage my time so its hard for me to do all the 15 markers with 3/4 points and a conclusion. Is it possible to achieve around 11-13 marks without a conclusion?
Original post by 28/01/2016
Is a conclusion essential? My teacher said its not as important as writing 3/4 points. I struggle to manage my time so its hard for me to do all the 15 markers with 3/4 points and a conclusion. Is it possible to achieve around 11-13 marks without a conclusion?

Original post by starlett53
Hey guys what structure are you using for part B questions and should it be the same structure for both forensic and health? My teachers have told me different things and idk.I'm currently using:Intro, POINT, COMMENT, EXAMPLE, POINT COMMENT EXAMPLE, CONCLUSION.But not sure if that's right and if it should be similarity or something. So confusedPosted from TSR Mobile

Conclusion is not essential, but it is helpful for you to summarize what you're exactly saying at the end of each paragraph

So

Claim - Make your statement (Such as One problem with the approach is that the research is low in generalisability)

Reason - Say why this evaluation is so (This is because the sample of the study is quite small...)

Evidence - Provide specific evidence from the study if you can (..only used a sample of 12 people who were mainly male)
(If you can bring in evidence from two studies relating to the question to really back up your point!)

Evaluate - Why is this a problem? (This means that the results of the study might not be representative of human behaviour outside of the studied sample, also as women were under-represented in the sample there could be a male specific variable within the results making the results inapplicable to women)

Counter evaluate - Why the researcher did what they... (..But a larger sample would be very hard to obtain and costly due to the nature of the research so the study would of been inefficient to conduct otherwise and still provides further insight into this approach which could increase funding in later studies)

Conclusion - Just briefly summarize (While a small sample has lower the generalisability of the research making it somewhat less useful, it allowed for quick data to be gathered to support the approach at a low cost.)

Tried to give an example best I could but I'm no expert either haha!
(edited 8 years ago)
Conclusion is not essential, but it is helpful for you to summarize what you're exactly saying at the end of each paragraph

So

Claim - Make your statement (Such as One problem with the approach is that the research is low in generalisability)

Reason - Say why this evaluation is so (This is because the sample of the study is quite small...)

Evidence - Provide specific evidence from the study if you can (..only used a sample of 12 people who were mainly male)
(If you can bring in evidence from two studies relating to the question to really back up your point!)

Evaluate - Why is this a problem? (This means that the results of the study might not be representative of human behaviour outside of the studied sample, also as women were under-represented in the sample there could be a male specific variable within the results making the results inapplicable to women)

Counter evaluate - Why the researcher did what they... (..But a larger sample would be very hard to obtain and costly due to the nature of the research so the study would of been inefficient to conduct otherwise and still provides further insight into this approach which could increase funding in later studies)

Conclusion - Just briefly summarize (While a small sample has lower the generalisability of the research making it somewhat less useful, it allowed for quick data to be gathered to support the approach at a low cost.)

Tried to give an example best I could but I'm no expert either haha!

My teacher also makes us use this CREECC format too.... Its just sometimes i dont follow it religiously because i cba... I do make sure the ending sentence of each point is like "Therefore, this is a strength as it means....." try to summarise why it's a good thing!

When we counter argue we just incorporate another study. E.g. Study 1 had a small sample, but to counter argue Study 2 had a large sample which means there is population validity.

I dont know tbh... I think as long as you explain ya points it'll be fine!
Reply 88
Does anyone have model answers for G544 Section B?
Original post by ivy.98
Does anyone have model answers for G544 Section B?

heres a moel script that got 75/80
Reply 90
heres a moel script that got 75/80

thank you so much!!!
Reply 91
Hi! I hope I'm not too late in joining.
AS Grade AQA A - B (resitting to boost up to an A)
A2 predicted - A

Could somebody please offer me some guidance on how to integrate the studies into the G544 exam questions? I sat AQA Psychology A at AS and switched exam boards to OCR so I'm not too sure on G544. I feel confident with G543 but really unsure on how to talk about the studies in reference to the debates, perspectives questions. I have a G544 rehearsal next Monday, please help!
People doing health and clinical: can we use some things from dysfunctional behaviour in disorders (as disorders can cause dysfunctional behaviour, right?). So could I use systematic desensitisation (a treatment for noise phobia, comes under dys. behaviour (McGrath)) for a treatment of an anxiety disorder?

I don't do disorders, but I could do this, then this is just more options for me in the exam :tongue:
:bump:
Original post by Kamara7
People doing health and clinical: can we use some things from dysfunctional behaviour in disorders (as disorders can cause dysfunctional behaviour, right?). So could I use systematic desensitisation (a treatment for noise phobia, comes under dys. behaviour (McGrath)) for a treatment of an anxiety disorder?

I don't do disorders, but I could do this, then this is just more options for me in the exam :tongue:

Well, you could potientally, but in disorders you also need to know the characteristics of Anxiety, Affective & Psychotic.... Then you choose one of those 3 to focus on for explanations... So we're doing schizophrenia and for explanations we need to know Behavioural, Biological and Cognitive, then for treatments we learnt CBT, Drug therapy and social learning therapy (token economy). They have their seperate studies.

So i think you wont be able to do it because you need to know more than one explanation and more than on treatment.... Does that make sense?
Well, you could potientally, but in disorders you also need to know the characteristics of Anxiety, Affective & Psychotic.... Then you choose one of those 3 to focus on for explanations... So we're doing schizophrenia and for explanations we need to know Behavioural, Biological and Cognitive, then for treatments we learnt CBT, Drug therapy and social learning therapy (token economy). They have their seperate studies.

So i think you wont be able to do it because you need to know more than one explanation and more than on treatment.... Does that make sense?

OK :smile: But could I answer only treatments of a type of disorder question as I've looked at behavioural (systematic desensitisation), biological (phenelzine drugs) and cognitive (CBT) methods for treating phobias. I haven't looked at characteristics of the disorders so I guess I won't be able to answer questions on that.
Original post by Kamara7
OK :smile: But could I answer only treatments of a type of disorder question as I've looked at behavioural (systematic desensitisation), biological (phenelzine drugs) and cognitive (CBT) methods for treating phobias. I haven't looked at characteristics of the disorders so I guess I won't be able to answer questions on that.

Well you could, because you know explanations and treatments.... So yes if those come up as 10 & 15 markers you can do it. But only do it if you feel confident.... :smile:
Well you could, because you know explanations and treatments.... So yes if those come up as 10 & 15 markers you can do it. But only do it if you feel confident.... :smile:

That's good to know, thanks for your help! :biggrin:
Hey guys,
I'm doing clinical and forensic psychology with OCR
I have made quizlets for all of the studies to make it easier to revise, I'm sharing it because I think other people might like to use them, https://quizlet.com/Ellen_Powell/folders/a2-psychology-options-in-applied-psychology
they are password protected so if you would like the password drop me a message and ill happily give it to you :smile:
Original post by hmarsh
Hi! I hope I'm not too late in joining.
AS Grade AQA A - B (resitting to boost up to an A)
A2 predicted - A

Could somebody please offer me some guidance on how to integrate the studies into the G544 exam questions? I sat AQA Psychology A at AS and switched exam boards to OCR so I'm not too sure on G544. I feel confident with G543 but really unsure on how to talk about the studies in reference to the debates, perspectives questions. I have a G544 rehearsal next Monday, please help!

Hi, in terms of integrating the studies into the G544 section B questions I recommend going through all the studies and working out which approach/perspective/debate/research method they fit under- I recommend doing this in different tables however you could also do this in lists as bullet points etc. This will make it so much easier to know which studies to use in the question! In terms of integrating it into the question, you use the study to back up a point you have made. For example, if a question says 'discuss the strengths and limitations of the physiological (biological) approach to explain behaviour' you would think which studies go under that approach- you can then use these to reinforce your points. Eg: You may say that a strength is that the physiological approach is objective as it tends to use scientific equipment etc. You would then use a study from this approach to back up the point- eg: for example, in Johansson’s study on work as a cause of stress, the participants catechlomide (adrenaline) levels were taken through the use of urine samples- this is an objective way of determining stressful behaviour. Similarly, in Geer and Maisels study on the effects of lack of control on stress, the behaviour was measured through the objective testing and analysis of GSR response in the participants…etc(may want to add more detail depending on how much it needs to support- this is just to show structure of answer) You are basically just using the study as evidence to back up any point you made about the approach/debate/perspective- this is why organising the studies into these categories will help loads! Hope this helps, good luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending