Boredomstrikes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
3A* 4A 3B 1C at GCSE, currently doing AS Bio, Chem,Maths and History. I plan on doing medicine however I know how extremely competitive medicine is so if I do not get accepted into medicine,as an alternative I would like a career in science. This has made me narrow my choices down to three science courses in the title. I would like to know:
1) Which one tends to be the most enjoyable?
2) Which one has the better job prospects?
3) Which universities should I apply to for each course when I chose one?
Infraspecies
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Boredomstrikes)
3A* 4A 3B 1C at GCSE, currently doing AS Bio, Chem,Maths and History. I plan on doing medicine however I know how extremely competitive medicine is so if I do not get accepted into medicine,as an alternative I would like a career in science. This has made me narrow my choices down to three science courses in the title. I would like to know:
1) Which one tends to be the most enjoyable?
2) Which one has the better job prospects?
3) Which universities should I apply to for each course when I chose one?
1) It depends what you enjoy. Chemistry has a lot of mathematical and physical content, and it's very problem based. Biochemistry will be more fact based and bioprocess based. Biomed will have a more human focus than biochem, and be less general. They will all be hard, and they can all be rewarding. But know, that chemistry is more different from the other two than the others are different to it.

2) They all have good job prospects. What job do you want? Chemistry will be better for leaving the science sector, say, into generic graduate placements and finance type careers, due to it's more numerical and problem based nature. Biochemistry and biomed probably lead to science careers you, as someone interested in medicine, will find interesting. Perhaps you could consider pharmaceutical chemistry instead of pure chemistry?

3) That depends on your AS grades, the quality of your application, the type of lifestyle you want at university, etc.
Boredomstrikes
Rep:
?
(Original post by Infraspecies)
1) It depends what you enjoy. Chemistry has a lot of mathematical and physical content, and it's very problem based. Biochemistry will be more fact based and bioprocess based. Biomed will have a more human focus than biochem, and be less general. They will all be hard, and they can all be rewarding. But know, that chemistry is more different from the other two than the others are different to it.

2) They all have good job prospects. What job do you want? Chemistry will be better for leaving the science sector, say, into generic graduate placements and finance type careers, due to it's more numerical and problem based nature. Biochemistry and biomed probably lead to science careers you, as someone interested in medicine, will find interesting. Perhaps you could consider pharmaceutical chemistry instead of pure chemistry?

3) That depends on your AS grades, the quality of your application, the type of lifestyle you want at university, etc.
Thank you, I think I'd want a job in the science field.
Infraspecies
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you, I think I'd want a job in the science field.
What sort of field?
Drugs?
Petrochemicals?
Boredomstrikes
Rep:
?
(Original post by Infraspecies)
What sort of field?
Drugs?
Petrochemicals?
Probably drugs, I've always been fascinated by how they actually work
Infraspecies
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Then either biochem or chemistry are the best bets, I think.
frozen_fire
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Both biochem and chemistry can lead to careers in the drug industry. I am from a Biochem background and doing a PhD in determining the structures of membrane proteins which represent over 50% of all drug targets. A chemist would be more involved downstream of that and synthesise compounds that can interfere with the function of these proteins. In terms of career prospects, I would be leaning towards chemistry because there tend to be more opportunities for those wanting to enter the pharmaceutical industry particularly in medicinal chem.
LBS_187
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Pharmacology is a good one for drugs in particular. I'm considering all of the subjects you are as well for degree level study. I've heard from numerous biomedical scientists and from someone studying biochemistry that biochemistry is quite a specific region of study, whereas biomedical science is a bit more branched out over different areas. So if you are sure you would be interested in biochem, go for it. But if you want a more general spread of microbiology, haematology, histology, cytology, immunology etc. then it may be good to go for biomedical science. And obviously if you're interested in clinical chemistry the most, biochemistry would probably suit you more. Of course, do your research into the subjects, and go for the one which interests you the most!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (170)
14.59%
I'm not sure (54)
4.64%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (343)
29.44%
I have already dropped out (35)
3%
I'm not a current university student (563)
48.33%

Watched Threads