The Student Room Group

Confused with entry grades and information.

I'm very confused. Upon comparing university entry grades to the actual grades achieved of people whom study the course i was confused. For example in Easy anglia for Molecular biology and genetics the entry requirement is ABB however on sites like Unistat the points or grades gotten is lower than that asked, sometimes significantly, what is the reason for this, thanks in advance :smile:
bump
Universities usually give out offers at the entry requirement but if they have a lot of left over places (like this year as UCAS removed the cap on students) in light of results day they will accept lower grades if they think their quota won't be met in clearing

Example - my boyfriend was offered BBC at Portsmouth but got BBD, however he still got accepted as that year the maths exams were particularly hard and the grade boundaries didn't compensate much for this and so many people missed out on their grades. Therefore, they accepted people below their requirements because they didn't think the students they would have lost via offers would have been made up by clearing applicants

What I would say is don't rely on this, commonly lower down universities will accept lower than higher universities (e.g - imperial = no hope if you miss the offer) and the higher up you apply, the less chance of this happening. It's mainly down to luck and other people's performance so don't accept a firm and insurance offer above what you think you'll get because you'll find yourself in clearing

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MeerkatSwag
Universities usually give out offers at the entry requirement but if they have a lot of left over places (like this year as UCAS removed the cap on students) in light of results day they will accept lower grades if they think their quota won't be met in clearing

Example - my boyfriend was offered BBC at Portsmouth but got BBD, however he still got accepted as that year the maths exams were particularly hard and the grade boundaries didn't compensate much for this and so many people missed out on their grades. Therefore, they accepted people below their requirements because they didn't think the students they would have lost via offers would have been made up by clearing applicants

What I would say is don't rely on this, commonly lower down universities will accept lower than higher universities (e.g - imperial = no hope if you miss the offer) and the higher up you apply, the less chance of this happening. It's mainly down to luck and other people's performance so don't accept a firm and insurance offer above what you think you'll get because you'll find yourself in clearing

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the information! Totally makes sense, thanks for your help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending