Is anyone doing or knows anyone doing chemical engineering WITHOUT A-level Chemistry? Watch

Comp.Girl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I just want to know if it is possible to succeed at chem eng without doing A-level Chem? Any help would be really appreciated!
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Comp.Girl)
I just want to know if it is possible to succeed at chem eng without doing A-level Chem? Any help would be really appreciated!
After some trawling through the UCAS course list I found a couple of courses that only ask for "Maths and Chemistry or a related subject" but by not having Chemistry, you're basically eliminating 95% of the options and all 'better' universities. So it depends on how desperate you are to study Chemical Engineering immediately after you finish school, if you don't care about being severely limited in your options (and risking not getting any offers since not having Chemistry will put you at a disadvantage anywhere) then you could try to apply to the select courses that do not require Chemistry A Level but otherwise, I'd suggest you either:
  • Choose a different degree
  • Do a foundation degree first (or a degree with a foundation degree attached)
  • See if it's possible to study Chemistry A Level during a gap year.
Please also note that A Level Maths is needed for basically all the courses I saw, so I'm assuming you've got that. I'm very sorry that this probably isn't the answer you're looking for but Chemistry and Maths are so fundamental to Chemical Engineering that most universities aren't going to want to 'waste time' teaching the basics.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Plagioclase)
After some trawling through the UCAS course list I found a couple of courses that only ask for "Maths and Chemistry or a related subject" but by not having Chemistry, you're basically eliminating 95% of the options and all 'better' universities.
Are you sure?
Leeds, for example, says Maths plus either Physics or Chemistry
http://www.engineering.leeds.ac.uk/c...l-engineering/

Lboro is the same
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/c...yrequirements/

But Surrey requires Chemistry.

ChemEng is more about Eng than Chem...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jneill)
Are you sure?
Leeds, for example, says Maths plus either Physics or Chemistry
http://www.engineering.leeds.ac.uk/c...l-engineering/

Lboro is the same
http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/c...yrequirements/

But Surrey requires Chemistry.

ChemEng is more about Eng than Chem...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh, clearly I'm wrong then! I just had a look through the entry requirements of some lower ranking universities which did require Chemistry and Maths so I assumed the same would be true for most, but apparently not. I'm still pretty sure that not having Chemistry will be a disadvantage though since a knowledge of Chemistry is definitely important for Chemical Engineering.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oh, clearly I'm wrong then! I just had a look through the entry requirements of some lower ranking universities which did require Chemistry and Maths so I assumed the same would be true for most, but apparently not. I'm still pretty sure that not having Chemistry will be a disadvantage though since a knowledge of Chemistry is definitely important for Chemical Engineering.
Yes you would think so but it really varies by uni. Imperial and Bath require it, Manchester doesn't...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jneill)
Yes you would think so but it really varies by uni. Imperial and Bath require it, Manchester doesn't...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good news for Comp.Girl!
Comp.Girl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
After some trawling through the UCAS course list I found a couple of courses that only ask for "Maths and Chemistry or a related subject" but by not having Chemistry, you're basically eliminating 95% of the options and all 'better' universities. So it depends on how desperate you are to study Chemical Engineering immediately after you finish school, if you don't care about being severely limited in your options (and risking not getting any offers since not having Chemistry will put you at a disadvantage anywhere) then you could try to apply to the select courses that do not require Chemistry A Level but otherwise, I'd suggest you either:
  • Choose a different degree
  • Do a foundation degree first (or a degree with a foundation degree attached)
  • See if it's possible to study Chemistry A Level during a gap year.
Please also note that A Level Maths is needed for basically all the courses I saw, so I'm assuming you've got that. I'm very sorry that this probably isn't the answer you're looking for but Chemistry and Maths are so fundamental to Chemical Engineering that most universities aren't going to want to 'waste time' teaching the basics.

Thanks for your response!
Yeah I have studied A-level Maths, Physics & Computing. I'm doing an Engineering Foundation year so I can choose any engineering degree programme once I pass the required modules. I have the option of selecting a module in chem eng, computing, electrical eng or mechanical eng. I would like to do the chem eng module but I'm feeling a little skeptical as I haven't done A-level chemistry and I really don't want to waste this foundation year.
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Comp.Girl)
Thanks for your response!
Yeah I have studied A-level Maths, Physics & Computing. I'm doing an Engineering Foundation year so I can choose any engineering degree programme once I pass the required modules. I have the option of selecting a module in chem eng, computing, electrical eng or mechanical eng. I would like to do the chem eng module but I'm feeling a little skeptical as I haven't done A-level chemistry and I really don't want to waste this foundation year.
If you have some unis in mind it would be best to check directly with them to confirm if they'll accept the Foundation (inc. the chem eng module).

Email their admissions depts.
Ekemini
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
CHEMeng
CHEMistry

...hmm...i am seeing some kind of correlation
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ekemini)
CHEMeng
CHEMistry

...hmm...i am seeing some kind of correlation
Correlation <> Causation
Spoiler:
Show
See my posts above for examples of unis that do not require Chemistry for Chem Eng.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (121)
65.05%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
20.97%
Yes but I might change my mind (26)
13.98%

Watched Threads