I want to do a Psychology masters abroad, but they don't have BPS accreditation Watch

sauropod1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I am so confused about this. I have an undergraduate BPS accredited 2.1 Psychology degree and had my heart set on doing my masters in The Netherlands (tuition fees are way cheaper, the universities are supposed to be really good and I have never been there before). BUT obviously the BPS do not accredit courses outside of the UK and I am under the impression that unless the degree is accredited it basically means nothing in the UK? so there is no point in doing it at all?
This seems ridiculous to me as I studied my undergraduate degree at Bangor; they were completely useless yet still have BPS accreditation. On the other hand, the universities I have looked at in Holland are about 1000x better for psychology according to the world rankings, yet a degree from there would be meaningless just because they don't have BPS.

Is there some kind of European equivalent to the BPS that I have missed or something? I have tried googling it and found nothing, but maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places. I am already eligible for graduate membership of the BPS due to my undergrad degree, so do I even have to be worrying about them anymore?

Any advice or help please?? Has anyone else done a psychology degree abroad?? Thank you!!
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It depends on your career aims and if you plan on working in the UK.
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Best solution might be to contact BPS and see if/how they allow european graduates to work in the UK - ie. if you do a course with accreditation from the Dutch equiv. of BPS is that acceptable?
Lord Asriel
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Note that most Masters courses are not BPS accredited.

The only BPS courses that confer any major recognition towards charterships are doctoral level courses in Clinical Psychology, Counselling Psychology etc. While there are some Stage 1 MScs that confer "recognition" to go onto Stage 2 training (doctorates), they don't qualify you to do anything by themselves.

It's only an issue if you want to actually become a psychologist (only about 15% of psychology students). If you don't it's fairly immaterial.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate