The Student Room Group

Postgraduate funding and Asian students

Recently I've started a postgraduate degree which has made me think a lot about the way Postgraduate courses are run in the UK. Now whilst I don't have a problem with non EU internationals on undergraduate courses since apparently there are a set number of places for internationals, I have to wonder whether this applies to postgraduates. Course sizes are definitely smaller which is necessary for teaching at a higher level, but should our government give our own graduates preference over these non EU internationals with the graduate job market as competitive as it is today?

Considering that funding will be available for 2016 entry, I also wonder how universities are going to adapt to this. Ideally they will keep course sizes the same except make admissions more difficult, but knowing that many universities like their money I am concerned that they will accept a higher proportion of internationals. In a lot of cases the students don't even seem to be particularly exceptional and at least the ones i ended up in halls with are fairly middling students. There's technically nothing wrong with that, but generally a country wants to encourage the best and brightest of other nations to study at its universities, not just anyone.

With all the rhetoric from the government about how Britain provides world class education, I just feel disheartened about how they are quite happy to acknowledge their world class higher education system but seem to do very little to favour home students who, at present can't afford to fund a masters. What does everyone else think about this?
Original post by Perkele
. Course sizes are definitely smaller which is necessary for teaching at a higher level, but 1.should our government give our own graduates preference over these non EU internationals with the graduate job market as competitive as it is today?

2. Considering that funding will be available for 2016 entry, I also wonder how universities are going to adapt to this. Ideally they will keep course sizes the same except make admissions more difficult, but knowing that many universities like their money I am concerned that they will accept a higher proportion of internationals. In a lot of cases the students don't even seem to be particularly exceptional and at least the ones i ended up in halls with are fairly middling students. There's technically nothing wrong with that, but generally a country wants to encourage the best and brightest of other nations to study at its universities, not just anyone.

With all the rhetoric from the government about how Britain provides world class education, I just feel disheartened about how they are quite happy to acknowledge their world class higher education system but seem to do very little to favour home students who, at present can't afford to fund a masters. What does everyone else think about this?

1. What are you on about? The government is working on a policy that will force non EU students out of the UK as soon as they graduate.
2. Your consideration is invalid. There are no current plans for Masters funding in 2016. That policy was made by the LibDem folks (which are not in power anymore). The current government does not seem to have continue with the project. So nope, funding is not coming.
3. Non-Eu postgrads pay 5-figure fees in pretty much any degree. Most uk postgrads will pay 4 figure fees mostly ranging from 3K to 7K. Without the non-EU postgrads, your dream course would most likely be more expensive for you (assuming it was financially feasible at all)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending