olivia543210
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, i have been assigned a question for homework 'evaluate the potential for conflict over water supply'. How would i go about answering this? Can anybody help with writing an evaluation as it is my first A2 homework and i am struggling! Thanks
DaveUncle
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there! I did this exam this year and answered a water question in my exam and got full marks so hopefully I can help my question was something like "To what extent do transboundary water sources always lead to conflict?", so it's quite similar.

So what I'd do is start with your standard introduction; say how there is potential on every river/aquifer/water source for conflict but make sure to stress this conflict depends on the players (stakeholders) involved. Also mention how transboundary sources tend to be more international problems while for example the River Thames would only have regional/local problems.

I'd do a big paragraph about where conflict has happened. My main case studies were...
-Colorado River (USA): Conflict between American farmers and Californians, between Americans and Native Americans between states that also use the Colorado, between the USA and Mexico)
-Brahmaputra River (India/Bangladesh): Conflict between the people of both country's as India (the more powerful of the two) has built the Farraka Barrage, a dam that diverts more water into India thus reducing the amount flowing into Bangladesh.
-The River Nile
-The Gaza Strip Aquifer - These are the 4 case studies I used, I haven't done the last two in detail but they're worth researching

Then do a paragraph about how sometimes, major water sources don't cause too much conflict in comparison.
-Mississippi River (flows through many US states yet not too much conflict)
-The Amazon Basin (definitely conflict there but not too major)

Then conclude and reiterate your point: Water sources do often cause conflict and all sources have the potential to. BUT, there are measures in place to prevent this, such as the Helsinki Rules (an example of hydropolitics).

Hope this has been of some help, if you have any other questions about the Edexcel A2 course feel free to ask
olivia543210
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
That is so helpful, thank you
DaveUncle
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
No worries, let me know if you need help with anything else on the course

(Original post by olivia543210)
That is so helpful, thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (26)
49.06%
No, they should still go ahead (11)
20.75%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (16)
30.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed