Executive power Watch

Curiousmind123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
What is the definition of executive power in politics and can I have some examples please

Posted from TSR Mobile
JumpingFun
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Curiousmind123)
What is the definition of executive power in politics and can I have some examples please

Posted from TSR Mobile
The executive branch executes the laws, so to say, enforces the laws. The executive power if vested in the Persident.
The president:
  • is the Commander in Chief of the armed forces. He or she has the power to call into service the state units of the National Guard, and in times of emergency may be given the power by Congress to manage national security or the economy.
  • has the power make treaties with Senate approval. He or she can also receive ambassadors and work with leaders of other nations.
  • is responsible for nominating the heads of governmental departments, which the Senate must then approve. In addition, the president nominates judges to federal courts and justices to the United States Supreme Court.
  • can issue executive orders, which have the force of law but do not have to be approved by congress.
  • can issue pardons for federal offenses.
  • can convene Congress for special sessions.
  • can veto legislation approved by Congress. However, the veto is limited. It is not a line-item veto, meaning that he or she cannot veto only specific parts of legislation, and it can be overridden by a two-thirds vote by Congress.
  • delivers a State of the Union address annually to a joint session of Congress.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (147)
18.51%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (78)
9.82%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (135)
17%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (113)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (77)
9.7%
How can I be the best version of myself? (244)
30.73%

Watched Threads