The Student Room Group

Failing A-levels, want to retake/do a couple more GCSEs

I am (or more appropriately, was) taking A-levels in Physics, Maths and Chemistry. However, I learnt today that I failed a crucial maths test, I failed a chemistry test today, and now my college tutors are telling me that I should probably move to a BTEC course.

The thing is, I really would rather not do that - I would like to retake my Maths GCSE (with a view to getting an A/A* - last time I got a B), and take a few other GCSEs (I'm thinking maybe History, Computing, Physics). The reason I would like to do that is because, long story short, my school (a really crap one) did not offer me as many GCSEs as I am capable of doing (despite requests to them to do so) and made me do several BTECs instead. I currently have 6 GCSEs (Maths, Higher Maths, English, Science, Additional Science and Humanities - all A-C grades); with these, I just about got onto A-levels at my college.

I would like to go into engineering - so Maths is very important - and I would like to do A-levels, even if they're deferred a year.
Anyway, I would like to know if this is possible (I can't really see why not?) - would it likely be self-study (I'm fine with this) or would I study them at college?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by woodworm

Anyway, I would like to know if this is possible (I can't really see why not?) - would it likely be self-study (I'm fine with this) or would I study them at college?

It's perfectly possible to study for extra GCSEs and resit Maths, yes.

It is likely that, for those GCSEs, you'd need to sit the exams as an external candidate. Most colleges will offer GCSE resits in Maths, English & sometimes science, but ones which offer other subjects (History, Computing) are harder to find.

It's worth asking your college :yep:
Reply 2
Original post by Neuth
It's perfectly possible to study for extra GCSEs and resit Maths, yes.

It is likely that, for those GCSEs, you'd need to sit the exams as an external candidate. Most colleges will offer GCSE resits in Maths, English & sometimes science, but ones which offer other subjects (History, Computing) are harder to find.

It's worth asking your college :yep:

Thanks. If I do resit these exams as an external candidate, how would controlled assessments/practicals work? I don't mean to sound thick... :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Thanks. If I do resit these exams as an external candidate, how would controlled assessments/practicals work? I don't mean to sound thick... :s-smilie:

You sit them at a centre (usually the same one you're doing the exams in, as they'll be on the same exam board so will do the practicals etc. at some stage!) :h:
Reply 4

It's a good question. Computing is not an option for a private candidate as you have to do about 40 hours of controlled assessment. History has about 6 hours and is also likely to be nearly impossible - even if they'd let you do it it is likely to be extremely expensive. . There are colleges that offer sciences to private candidates but that tends to be about the only one.
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
It's a good question. Computing is not an option for a private candidate as you have to do about 40 hours of controlled assessment. History has about 6 hours and is also likely to be nearly impossible - even if they'd let you do it it is likely to be extremely expensive. . There are colleges that offer sciences to private candidates but that tends to be about the only one.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest