Only use provisional licence for ID, does it mattter if wrong address?

Watch
~ Aquamarine ~
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey this might be a silly question, but i am at university and my family back home are moving address so my permanent address is changing. My mum has my passport so i can't send off and update my provisional licence yet as will have no ID to use when going out. Since i don't drive/take any lessons, can i get in trouble for not updating my license as i heard you can get fined £1000, but not sure if this is only for people who drive. Would my ID still be valid to use for ID on nights out with wrong address as they scan it in clubs, but surely is no way of them knowing its my previous address...
~ Aquamarine ~
Rep:
?
Anyone?
J_W-x
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've just done the same thing, if I get a fine i'm snitching on you.
InadequateJusticex
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ~ Aquamarine ~)
Anyone?
They don't really check anything except your DOB. For the whole of first year my name was spelt wrong and i was fine...so you'll be alright
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
All they'll be checking is DOB; you should update it but you'll be fine
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It won't be a problem with clubs. It is a problem as far as the DVLA are concerned, and you could be fined, but realistically the chances of being caught out are low if you're not driving. Only you can decide if the risk is worth running, obviously.
~ Aquamarine ~
Rep:
?
Ah ok thank you. Should be able to update it next month when i go home next, hopefully will be fine until then
smithsautoc
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey there,

There is a really obscure offence of failing to update your driving license, but unless you're using it as an actual driving license (which you're not) then I wouldn't worry too much about your address.

That said it takes a few minutes to update your driving license, so it would be worth it.

Nick
affluentmakaveli
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ah ok thank you. Should be able to update it next month when i go home next, hopefully will be fine until then
Yes -
You need to tell the DVLA.

I think you can change it online as they have that service now.

https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence
~ Aquamarine ~
Rep:
?
(Original post by smithsautoc)
Hey there,

There is a really obscure offence of failing to update your driving license, but unless you're using it as an actual driving license (which you're not) then I wouldn't worry too much about your address.

That said it takes a few minutes to update your driving license, so it would be worth it.

Nick
(Original post by affluentmakaveli)
Yes -
You need to tell the DVLA.

I think you can change it online as they have that service now.

https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence
Thanks for your replies.The reason i haven't updated is because my mum has my passport which is packed away with all the stuff for the move, so i don't have access to my passport number which i need for the change of address application. Additionally need my passport for the meantime whilst my license is updated. We don't officially move till this weekend and am planning to go home from university before the end of the month, so can get it sorted then.Was just being paranoid haha, but should be able to update it within 3/4 weeks of the move so should be fine (hopefully)
affluentmakaveli
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for your replies.The reason i haven't updated is because my mum has my passport which is packed away with all the stuff for the move, so i don't have access to my passport number which i need for the change of address application. Additionally need my passport for the meantime whilst my license is updated. We don't officially move till this weekend and am planning to go home from university before the end of the month, so can get it sorted then.Was just being paranoid haha, but should be able to update it within 3/4 weeks of the move so should be fine (hopefully)
As long as you follow it up you should be fine.

Better sooner than later.

Good luck.
Alexion
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yup. It's fine as ID, but not as a driving license.

Pretty much what everyone else has said...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (51)
16.61%
I'm not sure (8)
2.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (106)
34.53%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.3%
I'm not a current university student (138)
44.95%

Watched Threads