Cherry82
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys,
Ok I'm officially confused at the moment. With the CIE a level exams, who can take them?
Is it only students from abroad or something? I know they are international exams but on the OCR website it says something about private candidates. I would like to become a private candidate and take the CIE exams for A level Physics. Before I wasn't planning to do Physics because of the practical's expenses but CIE has no coursework/practicals needed. I also realised I wouldn't be missing much from not taking the practicals as with the new A levels, the are not mandatory.

Can anyone take these exams? I have found a place that provides the CIE exams for private candidates and I will call them tomorrow. By the way, how much different are the CIE exams?
I was looking at past papers and saw multiple exams, just confused at the moment.
gdunne42
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone can take them where ever they are offered but they are not funded for use in UK state schools.

The papers were always claimed to be harder that domestic A levels. I dont know if that was true or if it was whether it might be still true after the introduction of new reformed A levels. There are multiple papers because different sets are sat in different time zones to prevent cheating.
Cherry82
Rep:
?
(Original post by gdunne42)
Anyone can take them where ever they are offered but they are not funded for use in UK state schools.

The papers were always claimed to be harder that domestic A levels. I dont know if that was true or if it was whether it might be still true after the introduction of new reformed A levels. There are multiple papers because different sets are sat in different time zones to prevent cheating.
Oh ok. Thanks for explaining
So I can still take them even as a British citizen who isn't from abroad or anything? Yea, I heard that too but I wasn't sure if it was true either. I wouldn't be doing the new A levels but rather the ones from the old specification. Ah, I see. Thanks.
Skill Twix
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did CIE A levels.It is an international board but many private centres in the UK do them.
Imperion
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Skill Twix)
I did CIE A levels.It is an international board but many private centres in the UK do them.
Can I ask which ones you did?
Skill Twix
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Imperion)
Can I ask which ones you did?
Economics,Physics and Maths
Cherry82
Rep:
?
Oh hey bro, yea I am trying to figure this out. This is where I am currently confused. I called certain centres previously but some didn't allow me to register to sit the A level exams with them doing CIE Physics because I wasn't an 'abroad' student. But I'm now reading on TSR and other sites that anyone could take them which is why I am kind of confused.
Skill Twix
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cherry82)
Oh hey bro, yea I am trying to figure this out. This is where I am currently confused. I called certain centres previously but some didn't allow me to register to sit the A level exams with them doing CIE Physics because I wasn't an 'abroad' student. But I'm now reading on TSR and other sites that anyone could take them which is why I am kind of confused.
OH
Imperion
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Economics,Physics and Maths
Bingo! Can I ask if you used any revision sites?
Skill Twix
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Imperion)
Bingo! Can I ask if you used any revision sites?
Examsolutions.net for Maths only
The Clockwork Apple
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I did CIE maths, FM, spanish, English, ICT, chemistry and physics! At A level (although english and ICT were only to AS). Feel free to drop any question
Skill Twix
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hey guys,
Ok I'm officially confused at the moment. With the CIE a level exams, who can take them?
Is it only students from abroad or something? I know they are international exams but on the OCR website it says something about private candidates. I would like to become a private candidate and take the CIE exams for A level Physics. Before I wasn't planning to do Physics because of the practical's expenses but CIE has no coursework/practicals needed. I also realised I wouldn't be missing much from not taking the practicals as with the new A levels, the are not mandatory.

Can anyone take these exams? I have found a place that provides the CIE exams for private candidates and I will call them tomorrow. By the way, how much different are the CIE exams?
I was looking at past papers and saw multiple exams, just confused at the moment.
http://www.cie.org.uk/i-want-to/find...bridge-school/

Use this link sister.Find the nearest school that will accept you!
Cherry82
Rep:
?
(Original post by The Clockwork Apple)
I did CIE maths, FM, spanish, English, ICT, chemistry and physics! At A level (although english and ICT were only to AS). Feel free to drop any question
Really? Are you based in the Uk?
Cherry82
Rep:
?
http://www.cie.org.uk/i-want-to/find...bridge-school/

Use this link sister.Find the nearest school that will accept you!
Thank you
Just wanted to ask bro, with CIE sciences (AS) did you do any practicals?
Skill Twix
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you
Just wanted to ask bro, with CIE sciences (AS) did you do any practicals?
Yes.Physics.We had a practical for AS levels.For A2,you just do a written practical paper
PM me since I am curious to know what your plan is
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (440)
67.28%
No (214)
32.72%

Watched Threads