The Student Room Group

I want a nice helpdesk job that involves not getting my hands dirty

Tell me if this sounds realistic

I want to sit at a desk and troubleshoot an end users pc just by reading of a script (possibly using abit of knowledge). Nothing to involved like taking apart hardware etc. And I want to earn in the regions of 15-20k, 9-5 job.
I'm going for the Comptia A+ soon when the new objectives come out, I mainly want to work dealing with OS issues as hardware isn't as interesting to me.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1

I want to sit at a desk and troubleshoot an end users pc just by reading of a script

No this isn't realistic, why should a company pay you £15-£20k a year just to read off a script when there are programs that can already do this.

Infact you don't even need a program, someone could just write a very well written FAQ/help center where you can self troubleshoot which is equivalent to you reading of a script.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Async
No this isn't realistic, why should a company pay you £15-£20k a year just to read off a script when there are programs that can already do this.

Infact you don't even need a program, someone could just write a very well written FAQ/help center where you can self troubleshoot which is equivalent to you reading of a script.

But I swear Ive heard that helpdesk mainly just read from scripts???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Treypound
But I swear Ive heard that helpdesk mainly just read from scripts???

Posted from TSR Mobile

1st line support deal with basic issues and common problems and they will usually be following structured help procedures.
That salary range is quite reasonable from job adverts I've seen, but obviously if you're not improving yourself you'll struggle to see your salary increase.
Tell me if this sounds realistic

I want to sit at a desk and troubleshoot an end users pc just by reading of a script (possibly using abit of knowledge). Nothing to involved like taking apart hardware etc. And I want to earn in the regions of 15-20k, 9-5 job.
I'm going for the Comptia A+ soon when the new objectives come out, I mainly want to work dealing with OS issues as hardware isn't as interesting to me.
Posted from TSR Mobile

Alas, in my experience, most of those sort of jobs have been outsourced to India. So you really want to be reduced to reading from a script, devoid of all responsibility and initiative?

What happened to your entrepreneurial plans?
Reply 5
Original post by ByEeek
Alas, in my experience, most of those sort of jobs have been outsourced to India. So you really want to be reduced to reading from a script, devoid of all responsibility and initiative?

What happened to your entrepreneurial plans?

I just want to get by I dont wana earn lots of money as I dont want the increase responsibility or workload, a nice coshty repetitive job paying around 18-20k is good enough for me

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just want to get by I dont wana earn lots of money as I dont want the increase responsibility or workload, a nice coshty repetitive job paying around 18-20k is good enough for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's below average and you can't do much with that. After tax thats 15-16.5k

Quick Reply

Latest