The Student Room Group

Computer Science A level AQA

Hi! im taking the exam next year and I was wondering if anyone had any revision resources/videos that would be helpful? Also, if you've done the as or a2 exam, how hard did you find it?? any help would be appreciated!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by phoebeisgreat
Hi! im taking the exam next year and I was wondering if anyone had any revision resources/videos that would be helpful? Also, if you've done the as or a2 exam, how hard did you find it?? any help would be appreciated!

I'm currently on A2, the AS was easy but the A2 is much more challenging because of the project.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
I'm currently on A2, the AS was easy but the A2 is much more challenging because of the project.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was the as exam simple?
im slightly scared because i have no experience in programming/computer science!! How did you revise?
Reply 3
Was the as exam simple?
im slightly scared because i have no experience in programming/computer science!! How did you revise?

It depends who you - it was child's play for me cause I come from a family of programmers. But others find it harder.
Anyone else any thoughts??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Hey, I am taking the new Spec AQA Computer Science AS exam this year. It is pretty much simple for this year (Don't wanna get cocky). If anyone wants to discuss further shoot me a PM.
I'm so scared for the exam ngl

Original post by mahmzo
Hey, I am taking the new Spec AQA Computer Science AS exam this year. It is pretty much simple for this year (Don't wanna get cocky). If anyone wants to discuss further shoot me a PM.
Reply 7
Original post by mahmzo

what topics would you focus on to get best grades?
Reply 8
Original post by DDSTudent
what topics would you focus on to get best grades?

Well looking at the specimen I recommend knowing everything lol. But highly focus on SSHD and Laser printers, barcode scanners, RFID tags etc,. These are likely 6 markers so make sure you can structure your answer and know all the info inside out. What else are you taking?
Original post by mahmzo

Hi we haven't got long left now, what is the best way to revise for both exams i literally don't know what to do. For the theory side of the course shall i just keep on reading the book? I dont know what to do for the coding aspect of the course
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by bakersman110
Hi we haven't got long left now, what is the best way to revise for both exams i literally don't know what to do. For the theory side of the course shall i just keep on reading the book? I dont know what to do for the coding aspect of the course

there are so many people unprepared for these exams, Luckily the grade boundaries will be slightly lower this year... Anyway for the paper 1 (Computer based) we are using Python. I have solved almost every possible question that may come up. including Multiplayer against a friend. Multiplayer with a computer, Save Game ( I feel is going to come as a big marker.) then of course validation checks etc. For this you just need to practice the code over and over again, so in the exam you can quickly go type in the code. Not sit there worried, and thinking about what to do haha.

Now for the paper 2, I recommend using the specimen paper as that's what is likely to come up. Make sure your exam technique is up to scratch for the 9 marker. Also on the aqa website there are additional specimen questions. 6 markers likely are: Fetch Decode Execute cycle, perhaps CSMA/CA (however I doubt), RFID, Barcode scanners, maybe a comparison on high level/low level language. OR different types of Application software.

If you need any help just PM me
Hi!

Anybody got any ideas what the big question will be on paper 1? I think a couple of things are kinda obvious to come up, i.e. validation etc. but would be interesting to see what people think may be the biggest question.
Original post by BenAtkinson
Hi!Anybody got any ideas what the big question will be on paper 1? I think a couple of things are kinda obvious to come up, i.e. validation etc. but would be interesting to see what people think may be the biggest question.

as the person before said, saving a game might come up. I've already coded a version where the board gets saved to a separate text file which can then be imported next time the user plays the game (is there a different way anyone else would have done this?). Also the multiplayer thing is a good idea, like one player chooses where to place the ships and the other player plays the game as normal (?). What did you think might come up except for validation?
(edited 7 years ago)

I found a really great youtube channel that goes over the skeleton program: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rV4aQ9ojUg&index=1&list=PLKXxOWAJgVPMxtqkR96wUAE30IvNG_W7U
They've also included a link with possible programming extensions: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1nECgSBg0g7S1haT0RFNmRUSnc/view
Original post by UnknownUsername~
as the person before said, saving a game might come up. I've already coded a version where the board gets saved to a separate text file which can then be imported next time the user plays the game (is there a different way anyone else would have done this?). Also the multiplayer thing is a good idea, like one player chooses where to place the ships and the other player plays the game as normal (?). What did you think might come up except for validation?

Maybe adding some new ships of size's 6 and 1?
Reply 15
What comes up in section B?
Reply 16
Original post by Zouma
What comes up in section B?

Talks about the code. But there is no actually new coding. Like theyll ask explain a function or, name a function that takes 3 parameteres etc etc
can someone post their best versions of the most likely question answers that will come up? I'm **** at code (going of memory) :smile:
Original post by stephencurtis
can someone post their best versions of the most likely question answers that will come up? I'm **** at code (going of memory) :smile:

Lots of things could come up. There will be obvious questions such as validation etc. but there is no certain answer at all of what will come up, especially as the last question. What language are you in?
I'm still a bit of a novice at Python and am pretty much going to be solidly practising it until the exam on Monday. Do you think I have enough time? I literally only know the basics but I've been picking it up quite quickly so far.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending