Doing sit ups Watch

This discussion is closed.
Barny
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Yannis)
You don't start from the bottom. You start just before the mucles fully tense and you go forward and then back to starting position. That's much better for your building your muscle.
LOL, I hope that was a joke. Can you explain why situps arent healthy now?
[email protected]
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You don't start from the bottom. You start just before the mucles fully tense and you go forward and then back to starting position. That's much better for your building your muscle.
Yea, and as said before, your legs should be in the air, bent in the knees, with your shins horizontal. that's gonna do the job.
Bhaal85
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by smokey636)
yeh i cycle twice a week for 45mins and that does help quite alot. Cycling is supposed to be the best exercise along with swimming.
Rowing is better.
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by imasillynarb)
LOL, I hope that was a joke. Can you explain why situps arent healthy now?
Lower back, spinal problems, anything before the tense part is exercising hips. Anything after is damaging your hamstrings and your spine. There's no point in arguing on this as it's not my opinion, but a medically established theory, adopted by a vast number of physios. It may be wrong, but that's the current popular view.
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yea, and as said before, your legs should be in the air, bent in the knees, with your shins horizontal. that's gonna do the job.
What job is that going to do exactly?
smokey636
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
no i dont want to put on muscle i just want to lose a bit weight, and its simply cycling, walking, swimming
[email protected]
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
exercise your abdominal muscles.
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Lower back, spinal problems, anything before the tense part is exercising hips. Anything after is damaging your hamstrings and your spine. There's no point in arguing on this as it's not my opinion, but a medically established theory, adopted by a vast number of physios. It may be wrong, but that's the current popular view.
Ive been doing situps for months and dont have any of the problems you describe, I think itll cause problems for the averge joe who doesnt have a clue about training his abs and has **** form etc...
Bezza
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by smokey636)
no i dont want to put on muscle i just want to lose a bit weight, and its simply cycling, walking, swimming
If you're going to swim don't just do really slow, easy, granny-style breaststroke as this is hardly exercising - you need to swim at a decent pace to burn calories.
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bezza)
If you're going to swim don't just do really slow, easy, granny-style breaststroke as this is hardly exercising - you need to swim at a decent pace to burn calories.
You dont need to do it at a decent pace, anything that raises your heart beat by 40-80BPM will do nicely, as youll still be burning fat rather than carbs at this rate..
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Swimming a given number of lengths will burn the same amount of calories regardless of the intensity. Swimming speed merely affects heart rate, breathing rate and time taken. The same applies to running and walking - running x miles burns the same amount of energy as if walking x miles. Ideally, you should be working at a rate that causes you to breathe deeply, have an increased heart rate; you should be in the 'fat-burning zone'.
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hornblower)
Swimming a given number of lengths will burn the same amount of calories regardless of the intensity. Swimming speed merely affects heart rate, breathing rate and time taken. The same applies to running and walking - running x miles burns the same amount of energy as if walking x miles. Ideally, you should be working at a rate that causes you to breathe deeply, have an increased heart rate; you should be in the 'fat-burning zone'.
Excellent, at least someone other than me on here has a clue
Bezza
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You dont need to do it at a decent pace, anything that raises your heart beat by 40-80BPM will do nicely, as youll still be burning fat rather than carbs at this rate..
But have you seen how slowly some people swim? Their hearts are probably barely above their resting rate!
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bezza)
But have you seen how slowly some people swim? Their hearts are probably barely above their resting rate!
I imagine youd just sink if you didnt go fast enough, havent been swimming in ages though, cant remember the exact physics of it.
hornblower
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bezza)
That shows good bouyancy! I find it quite difficult to swim breaststroke very slowly. Those swimmers must have good technique, however.
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bezza)
You forget you burn fat mostly whilst resting, speeding things up only increases the rate of burning fat up until a certain point, where the body decides its time to use a different form of energy which is quicker to get hold of ie. carbs and protein
Bezza
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
OK, just done a quick google search - turns out I'm getting confused! In terms of burning calories hornblower was right - it is just distance. I was getting mixed up with getting fitter when the intensity does matter.
kikzen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
You forget you burn fat mostly whilst resting, speeding things up only increases the rate of burning fat up until a certain point, where the body decides its time to use a different form of energy which is quicker to get hold of ie. carbs and protein
so for general exercise you burn fat, but when fat is deemed too 'slow' (ie the body needs a fast energy source) it switches to carbohydrates.

but then if you work harder, that will improve your cv system too ? like strengthen the heart etc?
Barny
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Bezza)
OK, just done a quick google search - turns out I'm getting confused! In terms of burning calories hornblower was right - it is just distance. I was getting mixed up with getting fitter when the intensity does matter.
If you think about it, its easy to get your head around. When you run fast you burn more calories but you do it for a smaller amount of time, where as if you go slow you burn less calories but do it for longer, so it all evens out in the end
Bezza
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I imagine youd just sink if you didnt go fast enough, havent been swimming in ages though, cant remember the exact physics of it.
(Original post by hornblower)
That shows good bouyancy! I find it quite difficult to swim breaststroke very slowly. Those swimmers must have good technique, however.
Fat floats better than muscle so there are always plenty of fat people floating! Being bouyant is less about technique more about body composition/position.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (15)
93.75%
No (1)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise