Anyone's parents bought them a house to live in at uni?

Watch
MarleyZ
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Have your parents bought a house for you to live in whilst you're at uni? Or do you know anyone who's parents have?

I've heard it's a good investment for parents and obvs great for students but wondering how common it is? :cookie:
driftawaay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The house I'm living in now, the landlord bought it for his daughter to live in whilst she was at uni. I never understood why this is a good investment?
MarleyZ
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by driftawaay)
The house I'm living in now, the landlord bought it for his daughter to live in whilst she was at uni. I never understood why this is a good investment?
I suppose it's a good property investment for the parents in uni town hotspots as well as peace of mind and I guess his daughter then doesn't have to worry about landlords, struggling to find accommodation and possibly cheaper rent if they're nice!
JoshDawg
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Sounds like a good idea. But who has the money these days :P

Most likely you'll need to lower rent if you want students in afterwards, but they'll always be a demand I imagine. However, if you get some bad tenants they could wreck the place, especially students.
jelly1000
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I know a friend of a friend did, but from what I'm told this was an uber wealthy family. No-one I personally knew.
Apolexian
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Considering some of my friends' parents are struggling to pay for their unis i dont think they will buy them a house
adamstrawson
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by driftawaay)
My neighbour has done this, bought the house and lets his son live there while at Uni, and rents out the other 3 rooms to student too.

It's an investment in the sense that if the owner is paying say £800 a month on the mortgage, and then charging £115ppw (Given the going rate for the area), he's then making nearly £7K a year profit on the property.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
22.48%
Excited but a bit nervous (117)
45.35%
Not bothered either way (34)
13.18%
I'm really nervous (49)
18.99%

Watched Threads