What race am i Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
My parents were born in africa but I was born in england and im fully black so am I definded as 'English?' or Black english? African english etc.. what am I because I am ashamed to not be able to speak my mother tounge where my parents are from but I was born in England so I dont know???
Help???
username2176541
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My parents were born in africa but I was born in england and im fully black so am I definded as 'English?' or Black english? African english etc.. what am I because I am ashamed to not be able to speak my mother tounge where my parents are from but I was born in England so I dont know???
Help???
You are human.
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
Why don't you just say you're British or English.
Anonymous #1
Why don't you just say you're British or English.
#
I do but my parents then say that im black and im african fully and they are ashamed that i cant speak their language
EllainKahlo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It doesn't matter what your parents say, if you were born here and live here you are English, British. You can be black and British, but you're still British.
driftawaay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
#
I do but my parents then say that im black and im african fully and they are ashamed that i cant speak their language
You are black fully and of african *descent*, so you are african biologically, however u were born in Europe and raised here therefore it isnt a shameful thing that you cannot speak a lanuage from africa... besides, if your parents are so bothered about you not speaking their language, why didnt they teach you from the day you were born?? im a bit confused
Anonymous #1
(Original post by EllainKahlo)
It doesn't matter what your parents say, if you were born here and live here you are English, British. You can be black and British, but you're still British.
ok so does that make me english african because where does the african part go
Anonymous #1
(Original post by driftawaay)
You are black fully and of african *descent*, so you are african biologically, however u were born in Europe and raised here therefore it isnt a shameful thing that you cannot speak a lanuage from africa... besides, if your parents are so bothered about you not speaking their language, why didnt they teach you from the day you were born?? im a bit confused
ikr they expect me to know how to speak their language yet they raised me in england and now i consider myself english even tho im black with no english genes in me
EllainKahlo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ok so does that make me english african because where does the african part go
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_British

It doesn't have to go anywhere. Technically on government forms, African is your ethnicity but you are British by nationality. You may refer to yourself as Black British if you want, but you are British nonetheless.
Anonymous #3
Report 4 years ago
Nationality: British
Race: Black/African
Anonymous #1
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_British

It doesn't have to go anywhere. Technically on government forms, African is your ethnicity but you are British by nationality. You may refer to yourself as Black British if you want, but you are British nonetheless.
ok thank you so much I just saw tinie tempah he was born in england but parents are from nigeria thank you soo much im just like him but different country I AM BRITISH
EllainKahlo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ok thank you so much I just saw tinie tempah he was born in england but parents are from nigeria thank you soo much im just like him but different country I AM BRITISH
Yes. My ancestors are from all over the place, including many from Jamaica. I am Jamaican, but I was born here so I am British by nationality I'm still both.
Anonymous #4
Report 4 years ago
english is an ethnicity. Black people can't ever be english. He's of whatever african ethnicity and british by nationality.
EllainKahlo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
english is an ethnicity. Black people can't ever be english. He's of whatever african ethnicity and british by nationality.
Yes it can. English is also a nationality. If you are born in England, you are English by nationality and can be whatever else by ethnicity.
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
#
Lol they should have taught you then. #parentingfail
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you are born in England, you are English by nationality
No, being born in England doesn't necessarily mean someone is English.
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
200M sprint
Tari1997
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
you can define yourself however you want Black British or Black African. You seem slightly ashamed to be African anyway so you can call yourself Black British.
Illiberal Liberal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Duncan2012)
No, being born in England doesn't necessarily mean someone is English.
English is a nationality. It's a matter of identity; anyone born in England can identify as English or British - just because most ethnic minorities born in England choose to identify as the latter does not mean that they cannot identify as the former.
Sweet n Sour
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Help???
Look at my thread What Is Black?

Anyway

English

is a language or ethnicity, depending on context.

You are British-(insert African country here).

Ex: Chiwetel Ejiofor is British-Nigerian.
Ex: Parminder Nagra is British-Indian.

That is all.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (81)
36.99%
I really love the subject (57)
26.03%
I don't know what else to do (29)
13.24%
I can't get a job (15)
6.85%
My parents want me to (5)
2.28%