The Student Room Group

Best universities for biological sciences?

Hello!
I was just wondering if anyone can say what the best places are in the UK to study biology - I know the results of league tables but I'd rather know from people first hand, any opinions would help!
I have a particular interest in zoology if that helps, but at undergraduate level I want to study all aspects of biology because they all interest me.
Thanks!
LWL
Reply 1
A lot of first year courses have the same modules as other similar courses, so if you did choose to study zoology you may well find yourself studying broader biological science. Just check the programme structure for each uni you are interested in. Zoology is a very broad subject in itself so, when I was looking, I found the course content varied quite considerably between universities. I chose what I was most interested in (evolution and behaviour) and have just started at Exeter. I can't really help with recommendations as I'm only two weeks in (though I am really enjoying it); also most people will have only been to one uni so couldn't give you an unbiased opinion. I just recommend that you go to open days and find out about the course content as much as you can to find the right one for you. :smile:
I studied at Bristol, and then did my Masters at Leeds. Bristol wins out academics wise but Leeds slightly pips it to the post social wise I'd say.
First off, league tables aren't the best measure because they measure a range of different things which doesn't necessarily make a course or uni right for you. Second, people on here will only have experience of where they've studied so you will struggle to compare unis like that. Your bets bet is to look at course structures and work out which courses interest you most. Then look at other aspects of the uni that will help make your undergrad experience a good one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending