The Student Room Group

Going home every other weekend ???

I'm really not settling in at uni and I'm seriously home sick. The only way I think can bare it is if I know I can come home every other weekend. I honestly made a big mistake going to uni so far away.

I can go home cheaply by coach because I have a coach card so money's not really an issue, but it takes 4 and a half hours by coach ! I know it sounds reciculous but I honestly can't cope without going longer than 2 weeks. I wish I could go back in time and pick a closer uni to home, I just honestly didn't think I'd get this homesick 😨
Reply 1
You can spend the time studying or catching up on sleep, so that's not too bad. It's not ridiculous to be homesick, but I would try to reduce the frequency you go home as time goes by.
Original post by lachachacha
I'm really not settling in at uni and I'm seriously home sick. The only way I think can bare it is if I know I can come home every other weekend. I honestly made a big mistake going to uni so far away.

I can go home cheaply by coach because I have a coach card so money's not really an issue, but it takes 4 and a half hours by coach ! I know it sounds reciculous but I honestly can't cope without going longer than 2 weeks. I wish I could go back in time and pick a closer uni to home, I just honestly didn't think I'd get this homesick 😨

Going home that often will only increase the home sickness. You need to start becoming less dependent on home and therefore try to minimise the amounts of time you go back.
At first I went home from uni every couple of months and in holidays- Easter, Christmas etc, but when my Mum became more unwell I started going every other week and aside from things at home, I think that was too much as it takes away from your uni life. I imagine it would effect you more as your journey would take so long and you would spend a lot of time on the coach which may not be bad as you could go on your phone, read, sleep etc but then again, how much time would you get actually at home? Luckily on Mondays I didn't have lectures on Monday mornings so would travel back to uni on Monday morning ready for an afternoon lecture. I didn't finish til late Friday afternoon which was frustrating but can't be helped. Things will get better once you settle into uni, you probably get told this a lot but more than likely things will get better if you give it a chance. I know it's difficult, I wish things hadn't got in the way of me enjoying uni. Hope this helps x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending