The Student Room Group

Is this possible? (Private Candidate )

Hey guys,
I apologise for bombarding TSR with all of these private candidate threads but it's because I would like to hear other people's opinions. So I told my parents, teachers, and friends that I wanted to become a private candidate- doing all of my 3 A levels in one year. Everyone said it would be a bad idea and that I would fail then some didn't even know what a private candidate is. My main question is this, all I would like to know is this:
Is it possible to get through the content of 3 a levels before April/May? My choice will be either Maths, Religious Studies, Economics or Maths, Religious Studies and Physics (if I'm allowed to take the CIE exams). My fear isn't failing but not having enough time to go through the content.

I have 3 months to learn AS and 4 months to learn A2 but I'm willing to spend all of my time on this. My fear is even with all the hard work and spending all of my time on the courses, I may not have enough time to cover everything as it's 2 years for a reason. What do you guys think? I did badly in AS level but didn't study at all, I mean I had never even read the textbooks. Now I've learnt my lesson and I am ready to change around. I know this may sound as a joke but I am aiming for grades A*A*A or A*AA. (I know the content already for religious studies)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Cherry82
Hey guys,
I apologise for bombarding TSR with all of these private candidate threads but it's because I would like to hear other people's opinions. So I told my parents, teachers, and friends that I wanted to become a private candidate- doing all of my 3 A levels in one year. Everyone said it would be a bad idea and that I would fail then some didn't even know what a private candidate is. My main question is this, all I would like to know is this:
Is it possible to get through the content of 3 a levels before April/May? My choice will be either Maths, Religious Studies, Economics or Maths, Religious Studies and Physics (if I'm allowed to take the CIE exams). My fear isn't failing but not having enough time to go through the content.

I have 3 months to learn AS and 4 months to learn A2 but I'm willing to spend all of my time on this. My fear is even with all the hard work and spending all of my time on the courses, I may not have enough time to cover everything as it's 2 years for a reason. What do you guys think? I did badly in AS level but didn't study at all, I mean I had never even read the textbooks. Now I've learnt my lesson and I am ready to change around. I know this may sound as a joke but I am aiming for grades A*A*A or A*AA. (I know the content already for religious studies)

Given that you haven't yet settled on subjects or exam boards and a whole month of the new school year has gone by already, I think you are making your already tight schedule even tighter, and I can't see this ending well. I don't really understand why you have to do this in such a rush. Taking the usual length of time to do it is much more likely to result in success, but unless you come to a decision soon and actually start on something, I can't see it happening.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Given that you haven't yet settled on subjects or exam boards and a whole month of the new school year has gone by already, I think you are making your already tight schedule even tighter, and I can't see this ending well. I don't really understand why you have to do this in such a rush. Taking the usual length of time to do it is much more likely to result in success, but unless you come to a decision soon and actually start on something, I can't see it happening.

I'm meant to be in year 13 but I'm repeating year 12 again. The truth is I really just want to have my A levels already and enter a gap year then spending two years again at a school. There's so much I'd like to do. The career I'd like to do doesn't require A levels. I feel like this is all holding me back from doing what I'd actually like to do. So I planned to get my a levels by next year, then take a gap year actually doing what I have always wanted to do then go off to university. My parents are against me repeating year 12 again then taking a gap year after the two years. So my only chance is now as they would allow it.
You're wasting time. I'm doing Chemistry on my own and I've already finished the first unit of the AS spec (moving onto past papers shortly). It will probably take me to late December to finish both the AS & A2 learning wise - Then revision is going to be a hassle whilst I'm balancing my other subjects. But right now, I'm scoring high in all my subject assessments.

Answer? Choose your subjects. Stop asking. Start studying. Stop asking. Start studying. Only ask questions relevant to your subjects. Sit your exams.
I'm meant to be in year 13 but I'm repeating year 12 again. The truth is I really just want to have my A levels already and enter a gap year then spending two years again at a school. There's so much I'd like to do. The career I'd like to do doesn't require A levels. I feel like this is all holding me back from doing what I'd actually like to do. So I planned to get my a levels by next year, then take a gap year actually doing what I have always wanted to do then go off to university. My parents are against me repeating year 12 again then taking a gap year after the two years. So my only chance is now as they would allow it.

It sounds a terrible mess. You would be better off sorting out things with your parents, I think. This really doesn't sound like a sensible way to do anything, if I'm honest.
Hey guys,

The thing is if you don't have enough time to get through the content, you won't do well. Especially in Maths, and especially C3/C4 if you don't have enough time not just to look at techniques and practice them, you won't be able to get a good grade.

Equally, if you are planning to apply to uni and your teachers all think this is a bad idea- who are you going to use as a reference. It's no good assuming you will get A*AA if no-one will predict you these grades.

There's a reason that this isn't a common option- it's really really unlikely you will do well in this. Don't forget as well that sitting all the papers at once can mean super long exams, and that, or having lots of exams over the exam season may also impact your performance.
Reply 6
Original post by High Stakes
You're wasting time. I'm doing Chemistry on my own and I've already finished the first unit of the AS spec (moving onto past papers shortly). It will probably take me to late December to finish both the AS & A2 learning wise - Then revision is going to be a hassle whilst I'm balancing my other subjects. But right now, I'm scoring high in all my subject assessments.

Answer? Choose your subjects. Stop asking. Start studying. Stop asking. Start studying. Only ask questions relevant to your subjects. Sit your exams.

Wow, seriously. Mind me asking your timetable?
How many hours are you spending daily?
I know, it's just I've been trying to find a centre and it's only now that I've found one within my reach and that is not too expensive. I was also told to enter a sixth form by my parents so I've been in that sixth form since September.
Wow, seriously. Mind me asking your timetable?
How many hours are you spending daily?
I know, it's just I've been trying to find a centre and it's only now that I've found one within my reach and that is not too expensive. I was also told to enter a sixth form by my parents so I've been in that sixth form since September.

2-3 on weekdays. 5-6 on weekends. Hours will increase soon.
Reply 8
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
The thing is if you don't have enough time to get through the content, you won't do well. Especially in Maths, and especially C3/C4 if you don't have enough time not just to look at techniques and practice them, you won't be able to get a good grade.

Equally, if you are planning to apply to uni and your teachers all think this is a bad idea- who are you going to use as a reference. It's no good assuming you will get A*AA if no-one will predict you these grades.

There's a reason that this isn't a common option- it's really really unlikely you will do well in this. Don't forget as well that sitting all the papers at once can mean super long exams, and that, or having lots of exams over the exam season may also impact your performance.

I understand. Would I have enough time? If I am spending hours on each subject? Is C3 and C4 time consuming more than the other modules? I'd be using the Edexcel books and I'm planning to do all the questions in the book. Then around April-May do past papers and revision for all units.
Reply 9
2-3 on weekdays. 5-6 on weekends. Hours will increase soon.

Oh ok, cool.
I had taken out some calculations to how many hours I'd need to spend (considering how many hours we spend on school and in terms of the independent study expected outside of school time). (Within 16 months)
So with school with independent revision, an A*/A student in all three subjects apparently would have spent 3,500 hours studying? lol

For me to even get close to that, I'd have to study 12 hours a day which seems impossible. Do you have a tutor or are you completely self teaching in all three subjects?
I understand. Would I have enough time? If I am spending hours on each subject? Is C3 and C4 time consuming more than the other modules? I'd be using the Edexcel books and I'm planning to do all the questions in the book. Then around April-May do past papers and revision for all units.

Nope. I'm ahead of my class and already finished C3. Starting M1 with SUVAT equations. It's possible if you're dedicated. Anything is possible (supposing it's reasonable).
Oh ok, cool.
I had taken out some calculations to how many hours I'd need to spend (considering how many hours we spend on school and in terms of the independent study expected outside of school time). (Within 16 months)
So with school with independent revision, an A*/A student in all three subjects apparently would have spent 3,500 hours studying? lol

For me to even get close to that, I'd have to study 12 hours a day which seems impossible. Do you have a tutor or are you completely self teaching in all three subjects?

I have a tutor for Chemistry, yeah. Reason being Chemistry is quite a 'conceptual' subject so I'd need someone to go over certain concepts in detail with me. After a lesson, I sit down and write everything I've learned on a piece of paper - reference my textbook to make sure I haven't missed anything out. I'll then revise that piece of paper in a day or two's time.

Whatever calculation you come out with is useless. There are too many variables to take into consideration, ranging from your own ability to learn and answer, to the difficulty of certain topics/subjects.

Also here's a piece of advice. Don't timetable using hours, but rather objectives. Instead of saying i'm going to spend one hour on Economics today - It should be, I'm going to learn chapter 7 in the textbook and write out notes for it in full.
Reply 13
I have a tutor for Chemistry, yeah. Reason being Chemistry is quite a 'conceptual' subject so I'd need someone to go over certain concepts in detail with me. After a lesson, I sit down and write everything I've learned on a piece of paper - reference my textbook to make sure I haven't missed anything out. I'll then revise that piece of paper in a day or two's time.

Oh cool, sounds like you have it all planned out which is good. I'm just super scared. People have told me I will fail, that I can't do it. Even if I do fail, can't I still resit the papers or something?
Oh cool, sounds like you have it all planned out which is good. I'm just super scared. People have told me I will fail, that I can't do it. Even if I do fail, can't I still resit the papers or something?

You possibly can in 2017. No word on that yet though. Why think about retaking when you can think about acing your exams? Your thought process is all messed up.
Reply 15
You possibly can in 2017. No word on that yet though. Why think about retaking when you can think about acing your exams? Your thought process is all messed up.

I think I can. I know, it's just because I am scared now. I was so positive and ready to do this in the summer holiday but around late august. Now after all that has happened, with my parents and teachers telling me otherwise- I feel like even if I do work hard I won't be successful. My confidence level is now very low. I had even bought the study guides, printed out specification papers etc but each day my parents told me to go back to a sixth form.

The syllabus has changed since I did Maths A-level, so I don't know exactly what C3/C4 covers now, but doing every question in the book is a feat in itself. You won't be able to start each core module until you've finished the one before either (although you could study stats/mechanics/decision alongside core modules). May is essentially 7 months away- so that give you two months per module, plus a month for revision. Now, that on its own might be doable, but not alongside studying two other full A-levels and expecting to get the best possible results.

Even if you do a huge amount of work, you'll end up being burnt out and fatigued and not performing at your best by exam time.

I think I spent around 15 hours a week on maths when I was at sixth form during term time (including lessons, homework extra study etc)- it was easily my most time consuming A-level. If you double that (because you've got double the content, you're looking at 30 hours a week just on one subject. Even allowing only 10 hours for the other two subjects (which might not be enough for physics), you'd be looking at 50 hours of study a week, which imo just isn't sustainable over the course of the year.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito

I think I spent around 15 hours a week on maths when I was at sixth form during term time (including lessons, homework extra study etc)- it was easily my most time consuming A-level. If you double that (because you've got double the content, you're looking at 30 hours a week just on one subject. Even allowing only 10 hours for the other two subjects (which might not be enough for physics), you'd be looking at 50 hours of study a week, which imo just isn't sustainable over the course of the year.

15 hours a week is slightly absurd unless you studied quite a while back. My Sixth Form does 5 lessons a week (one hour each). Homework will often take 1-2 hours to complete. Studying an hour of Maths every other day is about 2-4 hours. Maximum time spent would probably be 11 hours a week. And it also depends on how talented you are at Mathematics. Studying effectively is key.
15 hours a week is slightly absurd unless you studied quite a while back. My Sixth Form does 5 lessons a week (one hour each). Homework will often take 1-2 hours to complete. Studying an hour of Maths every other day is about 2-4 hours. Maximum time spent would probably be 11 hours a week. And it also depends on how talented you are at Mathematics. Studying effectively is key.

I took my maths A-level around 7-8 years ago, and I really struggled with C3/C4. My homework definitely took more than 1-2 hours. I also really struggled with the decision module, which took me a long time to get my head around.

I wasn't talented at Maths at all, and taking it to A2 was a mistake which massively impacted on my other subjects. I got through AS by working super hard, and should have just quit while I was reasonably ahead :tongue:

That said, if you're saying you do 8-10 hours of study a week, for either AS or A2, OP would still need to do 16-20 to get through everything in one year- just for the one subject, and she wants to take three. I would imagine physics would be a similar time commitment to maths, as well.
Nope. I'm ahead of my class and already finished C3. Starting M1 with SUVAT equations. It's possible if you're dedicated. Anything is possible (supposing it's reasonable).

This is really true. I ve self studied M5 in 2 weeks. But youve got to be dedicated.

Hey guys,

im not against self studying but doing too much will really spoil everything.
"Do not lose what you have by desiring what you have not , remember the things you have now were once among the things you only wished for!"
But what exactly do you wanna become. A*AA doesnt sound like a joke but you might end up failing really badly. One of my friend finished A levels when he was 16 and everyone called him "genius" but he ended up with a B in Maths (his uni ain requires A*)

Quick Reply

Latest