Scared that i have picked the wrong A level subjects!:0 help!

Watch
username1887119
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,so i really want to study law at university(preferably a Russell Group)my AS level grades were:
Sociology:A
Government and Politics:A
Philosophy and ethics:B(2 marks off an A)
History:C

Overall i had to end up dropping History as this seemed the most logical thing to do regarding grades,i am just worried now as i didn't choose english literature and have dropped history that universities won't take me as seriously.I am aware that even though my other subjects give me essay writing skills and analytical writing skills and are also very relevant to the law and modern day society,they are still not as traditional and as subjects such as History and English(except maybe philosophy).Is this the case?and will they still let me in a Russell Group university with AAB providing i get AAA next year to study law?I have ensured that i have done extra curricular activities just in case such as joining the debating society at sixth form etc....
IAmYourdog
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Possibly. Depends on how high the standards are of the university you applying to!
username1887119
Rep:
?
(Original post by IAmYourdog)
Possibly. Depends on how high the standards are of the university you applying to!
i don't mind if its not Oxford as long as its a Russell Group/high up in the league tables
username1230881
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sarahmayy98)
Hi,so i really want to study law at university(preferably a Russell Group)my AS level grades were:
Sociology:A
Government and Politics:A
Philosophy and ethics:B(2 marks off an A)
History:C

Overall i had to end up dropping History as this seemed the most logical thing to do regarding grades,i am just worried now as i didn't choose english literature and have dropped history that universities won't take me as seriously.I am aware that even though my other subjects give me essay writing skills and analytical writing skills and are also very relevant to the law and modern day society,they are still not as traditional and as subjects such as History and English(except maybe philosophy).Is this the case?and will they still let me in a Russell Group university with AAB providing i get AAA next year to study law?
There aren't really any preferred or compulsory subjects for law at university - successful applicants may have essay subjects, maths, sciences... you won't be at a disadvantage for not having English Literature, and dropping History, so don't worry about it. As for your grades, you have a good chance at being accepted by an RG university; just make sure the other aspects of your application are good enough, particularly your personal statement (and make sure your predicted grades are AAA!). It's probably worth applying to a couple of universities that ask for AAB as well, so if you don't get an offer from an RG uni, you still have somewhere to go, and if you do, then you'll have somewhere to place as your insurance.
username1887119
Rep:
?
(Original post by doctorwhofan98)
There aren't really any preferred or compulsory subjects for law at university - successful applicants may have essay subjects, maths, sciences... you won't be at a disadvantage for not having English Literature, and dropping History, so don't worry about it. As for your grades, you have a good chance at being accepted by an RG university; just make sure the other aspects of your application are good enough, particularly your personal statement (and make sure your predicted grades are AAA!). It's probably worth applying to a couple of universities that ask for AAB as well, so if you don't get an offer from an RG uni, you still have somewhere to go, and if you do, then you'll have somewhere to place as your insurance.
Thank you!I want to go to Bristol or Birmingham.
username1230881
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you!I want to go to Bristol or Birmingham.
I'm also applying to Birmingham! Good luck with your LNAT exam - I'm dreading sitting it.
username1887119
Rep:
?
(Original post by doctorwhofan98)
I'm also applying to Birmingham! Good luck with your LNAT exam - I'm dreading sitting it.
When do you have to take it by? I thought Birmingham didnt require the test?
username1230881
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
When do you have to take it by? I thought Birmingham didnt require the test?
Birmingham do require the test for the LLB - and the deadline is, as far as I know, the same as the UCAS one: 15th January
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
21.99%
Excited but a bit nervous (132)
45.36%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.37%
I'm really nervous (59)
20.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed