The Student Room Group

Is inequality genuinely bad for society?

Is inequality genuinely bad for society?

I know it's a very hot topic right now. But i don't see why someone who gets off their ass and works for a living and saves (most important) alongside making prudent investments. Shouldn't be any better off than someone who just sits and does nothing.

For example people who live in council houses with housing benefit are technically living a more comfortable life than someone who works and rents. They also have a lot more free time.

I only find inequality bad when it's the 0.01% pitted against the rest since they employ so much of society and all their "effort" is not purely down to them.
It's not inequality that's bad for society, it's extreme inequality.
Reply 3
Original post by driftawaay

I think that's my point. But as you can see from the cereal cafe attack people dislike any level of inequality even a £3 bowl of cereal.
Original post by Bill_Gates
I think that's my point. But as you can see from the cereal cafe attack people dislike any level of inequality even a £3 bowl of cereal.

Go to most major cities Iin this country and you will find Audi BMW dealerships full of £50,000 cars often in poorer areas due to good land deals yet it is this small family run business that they hit. 😕
Reply 5
Original post by caravaggio2
Go to most major cities Iin this country and you will find Audi BMW dealerships full of £50,000 cars often in poorer areas due to good land deals yet it is this small family run business that they hit. 😕

For sure. Pretty random to say the least and totally goes against any point they were trying to make.

Jealous much?
Original post by driftawaay

Ambiguous.
Reply 7
Inequality will always exist, there will always be a 'rich' and 'poor.'
A perfectly 'equal' society would be boring, atleast in economic terms.
Without inequality existing the world today would be at a standstill.
(edited 8 years ago)
Trade union leaders bring in £150k to £200k.

Squaddies in Afghanistan who get injured and can't work probably lucky to break £18 to £20k.

Maybe the inequality will motivate the injured squaddies to work harder? Why should the trade union leaders be taxed more to pay for them???

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending